A learning exercise: what makes this a good/bad specimen

cyndayco

Hello! I've been lurking for several weeks and have decided to join the fray.

I've tried to read as many posts as I can, to understand what makes a great set of pearls, but of course, I still have a long way to go.

Can you help me understand if and why this strand from your old "favorite" es_store is good (or bad)? It looks really pretty, albeit blemished, but baroques are difficult for newbies like me. Any input is appreciated.

Click here for the link.

Thanks!

I would look for a strand that has more luster, or shine, to the surface, but it is colorful. :)

The price is about right for those pearls. They are very heavily ringed, which is good if you like heavily ringed. You'd probably want them for a project of some sort rather than as a straight strand. There are acres of them in Hong Kong. I have some because some makers use them as they like the very quirky shapes
But - they don't have much in the way of lustre and the surface is distorted by the rings
Smoother, shinier, bigger and more colourful and the price goes up.
They aren't premier by any stretch.
Is ES a favourite?

Is ES a favourite?
Only as an example of how not to sell on eBay. Although they may have cleaned up their act somewhat since they first caught Pearl Guide's eye (or ire?).

Actually, I do like rings; they feel more organic to me.

The pearls that I've seen like this (not from this seller, but in general) are very dull and flat, not even the luster these shots are showing, which seem to have been amped up. They also will usually have some very deep pits, sometimes all the way to the nucleus, and the pitting is visible even from a distance. Pearls like these make me nervous in some many different ways, and makes me wonder where the acres of them are coming from.

Thanks. I see what you mean. Pearlescence's suggestion is interesting, and someday I may buy ringed pearls for a mixed strand. Too bad there aren't any ringed specimens in my part of the world (Metro Manila).

Back