A Kamoka Pearl for only $10? - Maybe....

Yeah, and it's always kind of fun to gamble with you guys :-D and get commentary from the peanut gallery!

I was re-reading this thread, and for anyone who hasn't read from the first post
Donations:
2009 $27,000
2010 $58,000
2011 $89,159

2012 over $100,000! Can you believe it?!? Thank you again Annie, for bringing it to our attention every year, and Josh and Celeste for the pearl.

Last edited:
Although I don't see a Kamoka pearl listed as one of the prizes this year (yet?), we should be aware that Passports With Purpose's 2013 project has been announced.

This year they are trying to raise $115,000 to build 3 schools and fund 3 adult literacy programs in Mali, Africa.

Here is the main prize page: http://passportswithpurpose.org/2013-prize-catalogue/
Here is the list of all the prizes: http://passportswithpurpose.org/2013-prize-listing-view-only/

Each $10 donation through PayPal counts as one entry for the prize(s) of your choice. The deadline is December 9 at 11:59 p.m. EST.

Thank you so much for the reminder! I'll probably find at least one prize to try for, although I hope a Kamoka pearl will still be added. It would give all of us PGers a chance to bring it back in the fold after last year's failure.

I feel disappointed in myself. I realized (without a Kamoka pearl to bid on), I'm not mobile enough for the majority of the other prizes. Never too old for good works I know, and a donation will do, but I think someone who travels will have to cheerlead this year. We can't all;) be sedentary on PG :rolleyes:

(Ahem. I'm not decrepit. I'd just rather buy pearls than airfare to collect a prize. Very focused on pearls. Oh, well.:eek:)

Last edited:
((Lisa)) My family situation doesn't allow me to travel either-- between having a teen in school and a mother with advanced dementia, I'm pretty settled in.

Now, if I had the money to buy pearls and ​airfare, that trip to Morocco would be tugging at me.

Oh, juliebeth (clapping hands), that's the spirit! Have Men, Will Travel ? I like it!

I know, PearlDreams. Sometimes we just can't. Virtual reality only takes us so far. Besides, you're needed here.:eek: I don't know if you can access PG on the road to wherever.

Last edited:
FYI asked about Kamoka missing from Passportswithpurpose.org this year and here is the response I got:

Hi David, thanks for dropping in. We were really sad to miss that this year. They changed management and didn't get back to us until the last minute. I was away in Tahiti and by the time I got back it was too much of a scramble. Stay tuned though, we do have something in the pipeline.

I donated. I noticed a change in the way things were presented and the prizes. Didn't seem as user friendly this year, but I love what they do and am happy to be a part of building something new each year. I won something the first 2 years, but it's a lot bigger now...and that means a lot more good!!

me too, me too, me too. i was hoping to get to live vicariously through someone else, someone winning one of those awesome tours! i expect a photodiary, NOW!

:)

Last edited:
I spoke too soon!

Celeste and Josh (Kamoka Pearls) are donating a $250 gift certificate toward purchases from their online store.

Here are the details on Celeste's blog:
http://coconutradio.blogspot.com/

And here is the page on Passports with Purpose about the gift certificate!
http://passportswithpurpose.org/201...rtificates/kamoka-pearl-gift-certificate-250/

Time to send in those entries, ladies and gents!

"Bidding for prizes is open until 11:59 p.m. EST on Wednesday, December 17, 2014. Prize winners will be announced later that week."

Last edited:
It's been an eventful year! I enjoy this effort; I got mine.

The annual Passports with Purpose fundraiser has started earlier than usual this year, and also ends earlier-- the chance to try for a prize ends 11:59 EST on November 18, 2015 and prizewinners will be notified by email on Nov. 22, 2015.

I don't see a Kamoka prize (yet?) but there are a lot of other prizes to try for. http://passportswithpurpose.org/product-category/all-products/

"The funds raised in 2015 from Passports with Purpose will bring digital reading to five libraries in western Kenya viaWorldreader. The e-readers will provide an estimated 6,250 children, teachers and parents with access to more than 50,000 books. One hundred percent of all donations will go to directly to Worldreader."

Sadly, Passports With Purpose is coming to an end.

I received this email today:

pwp_logo_w_tag.jpg
Dear PwP friend,

Sustainable farms in Central America. Wells in Haiti. Schools in Mali and Cambodia. A village in India. Libraries in Zambia and e-books in Kenya.

It’s hard to say good-bye to a list like that, full of possibility and hope. We’re so proud of the projects that with the help of the travel blogging community we’ve been able to see brought to life.

But the time has come to do just that: To say a fond farewell, if not to the work of improving the world, to this specific way of doing so.

When this modest online fundraiser started, the travel blogging world was a very different – and smaller - place. It was pretty easy to talk to everyone on Twitter. We even commented on each others’ blogs! Instagram was just a speck in our mothers’ eyes and Pinterest was yet to come along. But with the diffusion of everyone’s time and efforts online it’s been harder and harder to attract the kind of attention we need to make an impact. We loved the model for Passports with Purpose and how it created an online community. But as time has gone on and the internet has changed, we’ve found that sustaining and growing that community just isn’t practical anymore.

We have a lot of thank yous to say: To the founders of PwP, whose vision and hard work launched this project and did so much good. To all the travel brands who sponsored our work and generous donated prizes for us to give away. To the travel bloggers who rallied their audiences and wrote eloquently about why they wanted to make a difference. And to every person who ever made a cash donation, whether for $10 or $1000.

If you are interested in continuing to contribute to Passports with Purpose, you can. Although we are not holding our fundraiser this fall we will continue to accept donations through the end of 2016. This money will go to support the school we built in Cambodia in 2009, which could use funds to continue operating (learn more about that project here). As in the past, 100 percent of any funds we raise, less PayPal fees, will go directly to American Assistance for Cambodia. Donate here.

It has truly been an honor and a privilege to work with each and every one of you. Thank you for your past donations, your hard work, and your willingness to believe that we can make a difference just $10 at a time.

Mara, Meg, Michelle and Katie

Back