2 Vintage Unmarked Rings With Pearly Settings

rivermandave

Community member
I would appreciate any thoughts on the 2 pearly rings in the attached pics.

If anyone recognizes the "woman's silhouette on the other ring, help me out :rolleyes:

Thanks in advance for any input / thoughts :cool:

Attachments

• DSCN0589-vjfa.jpg
    DSCN0589-vjfa.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN0589-vjfb.JPG
    DSCN0589-vjfb.JPG
    62.7 KB · Views: 30
  • DSCN0589-vjfc.jpg
    DSCN0589-vjfc.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 29
  • DSCN0589-vjfd.JPG
    DSCN0589-vjfd.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 33
Your top photo shows abalone and mother of pearl shells. Really pretty design.

The other looks similar to a elks tooth ivory ring that has been worn a lot. Each Elk has two teeth that are Ivory. The ivory teeth have their own fingerprint in the ivory, and they are matched pairs, but as it's worn it slowly fades. If that is what it really is, I could very well be wrong.

Last edited:
Pattye, The ring I had made for my husband was created with Elk Ivory collected by a gentleman from the Nez Pearce tribe in Lewiston , Idaho. He had a small sack with the pairs (40 or so) they sold my jeweler friend. Anyway, the pairs are mirror pairs and you can match them up and then create earrings with the fingerprint side (chewing surface) of the tooth. In the old days, Elks club members used the teeth for fobs or pin, tie tacks, cufflinks. They many times are just bezel set on the tooth root and the chewing surface is facing down. See attached item from ebay.

s-l1600.jpg

The elk's tooth stuff is very interesting! I never knew this about elk's teeth. Thanks for sharing the knowledge!

Your top photo shows abalone and mother of pearl shells. Really pretty design.

Good call, Marianne! Fun, wearable rings! You might want to google "Greek Goddesses" and see if a likeness to your ring turns up.

Thank you Marianne. Which one would be the MOP? The flat / elongated one?

Thank you pattye...Aphfrodite comes to mind.

Wow....elks teeth :rolleyes: ;)

The rounded colorful section is abalone shell. The pointed white section looks like mother of pearl.

Back