18k Pearl Necklace

Hi all

I picked up the following necklace from a carboot, and just wondered what pearls you think they are? the piece is 18k Gold hallmarked and weighs over 35g

I took it to a jeweler who didn't know about pearls, but he did say they were real, and he instantly offered me ?500 which I believe is the scrap price. But I did not want to sell it until I'm sure of what the pearls are.

Many Thanks

Andy

Pondslime round pearls and mauve pondslime flameball earringsVanilla creme  flameball pearl and gemstone cluster earringsVanilla creme  flameball pearl and gemstone cluster necklaceFlameball pearl and garnet necklaceFlameball pearl and garnet tassel earringsFlameball pearl and London blue topaz necklaceFlameball pearl and raw light green beryl gemstone shard earringsFlameball pearl and spring tourmaline pendant necklaceFlameball pearl and  wire wrapped gemstonesIMG_2401.jpgIMG_2402.jpgIMG_2404.jpg

Carboot - as in "off the back of a truck?" Have you considered that they might be stolen?

I took "carboot" to mean an innocent type of selling such as at a flea market or garage sale. Sometimes the items are bought from abandoned storage lockers, they're not necessarily stolen goods.

Hi sorry, Im from England "Carboot" refers to what Bas has said it was a garage sale someone obviously didn't realise what they were selling, right place, right time for me, anyway back to the item? any info would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks for bringing me up to speed on the lingo! These kinds of necklaces are made by jewelers when a client comes in with a handful of pearls they have collected over time. They could be natural, which would make them valuable. Take a closeup on a white paper towel or serviette. Coil or pile them up so they all show. Use the macro feature if you have it.

There isn't a way for you to tell if they are freshwaters, because there will be no bead inside. You need an expert or a lab like Gem-A in London.

Hi thank-you very much for your reply GemGeek, I will get some more photos as you have suggested, and with the macro feature I post them on here Shortly,

kind regards

Andy

Hi are these any good? if not I can try and get some better ones tomorrow morning, when there is natural daylight.

ThanksIMG_2405.jpgIMG_2406.jpgIMG_2407.jpgIMG_2408.jpgIMG_2409.jpgIMG_2410.jpgIMG_2411.jpgIMG_2412.jpgIMG_2413.jpgIMG_2414.jpgIMG_2415.jpgIMG_2417.jpgIMG_2418.jpgIMG_2419.jpgIMG_2420.jpgIMG_2421.jpg

Although a nice strand, these pearls do not present as natural. All of the pearls appear to have shell bead nuclei and typical fireball tails. These are likely a mix of off-white and silver/blue akoyas.

Beautiful pictures! Dave is right. The pearls are most likely cultured. :)

Thankyou both for your expert opinion, Could you possibly give an indication on the value on the piece?

Andy

also somebody else told me they were baroque pearls... do you defo think there akoyas? If you do I will take your word for it as your the expert!

Many thanks

I'll leave the pearl identification to the experts here ... but that is a lovely necklace ... VERY pretty!

It sounds like the main value is in the gold - which is substancial. The added value would come from someone loving the necklace rather than actual value of the pearls.

- Karin

I'm going with KarinK on this. The value will be finding the person who loves the pearls. :)

OK great thanks for that, do you have any recommendations for where I could sell the piece online... other than eBay?

Andy :)

The offer from the jeweler may be the best you can get, but you never know. People on eBay are expecting a bargain, but sometimes a bidding war will break out between people who become bewitched by an item. There can be risk selling on eBay - you might want to limit bidders to your own country. :)

You could check with a local auction house though they will take their share of course. Or you could keep it as a gold investment in case the prices go higher. I sold a heavy bracelet I wasn't using some years ago. Still regretting it... Even if the money went towards financing another bracelet I use much more.

- Karin

Some online stores (Ross + Simons comes to mind) buy estate jewelry. Perhaps there is a similar merchant in your country.

Back