"Pearl" or shell?

lizard

I just bought this from an auction for a few dollars, because it caught my eye. It was advertised second-hand as a "funky pearl" set in silver. I am still trying to make up my mind whether I like it enough to wear, but it is definitely a bit unusual. I presume it has been dyed and comes from part of a shell, but does it count as a pearl? The "silver" looks more like rather worn silver-coated brass or copper, so maybe "pearl" is an exaggeration too! Would it come from the freshwater mussel shell?

The photos are of front and back - the last photo shows the angle it hangs at from the pendant fixing (a few bits of cleaning polish on the top still!).

DSCN0409.jpgDSCN0411.jpgDSCN0410.jpg

I just bought this from an auction for a few dollars, because it caught my eye. It was advertised second-hand as a "funky pearl" set in silver. I am still trying to make up my mind whether I like it enough to wear, but it is definitely a bit unusual. I presume it has been dyed and comes from part of a shell, but does it count as a pearl? The "silver" looks more like rather worn silver-coated brass or copper, so maybe "pearl" is an exaggeration too! Would it come from the freshwater mussel shell?

It is a piece of shell. Which makes sense that one side would look like a pearl, while the other doesn't. Probably worn smooth on the beach, but perhaps tumbled shards.

I doubt anyone would take a 45mm natural pearl then dye it candy apple and mount it in a lead or silver soldered brass setting.

Thanks!

In stressful moments, I have occasionally tried distracting myself by browsing the local auction site, looking for bargains. However, I have come to accept that when things arrive, they are usually worth exactly what is paid for them! :cool:

Hi and welcome. Good find! This is indeed a freshwater pearl. It is the same sort of thing as this - p_magenta_and_pink_comets_707.jpg These pearls - the first large scale attempts at bead nucleation hit the markets about six or seven years ago, mostly brightly coloured. If you look at the top back you can probably see the bead foundation. Some of these 'comet' pearls reached over 2cm long.
The way it has been set is clever - I like it. If you decide you do as well, it might be worth tracking down one of those patent silver and gold instant replating operations and having the dubious metal sorted. (and if you do use a silver cloth in future as it is less abrasive)

Two comets stuck together then, you think?

The back side concerns me. It appears non-concentric and lamellar and those are shell, not pearl properties.

Hi Dave
yes two together - it happens. If you have a look at these 'comets' p_dark_petrol_blue_comets_1583.jpg p_smaller_black_comets_s1548.jpg you'll see a huge variety, and a big difference between front and back

Two comets stuck together then, you think?

The back side concerns me. It appears non-concentric and lamellar and those are shell, not pearl properties.
Dave has a point, the center picture makes me think of a mabe that has been roughly cut...
And the second picture of post#6 has a similar look of several mabe... On a few of them you can distinguish a 'bead'.

Wendy, would you happen to know what species produces such pearl?

Nop evidence of cutting on the backs, surface irregular not smooth. and not like the inside of a shell
And the tails are not flat, but rounded

I'm thinking it's a sort of mabe cut out of a shell. Probably accounts for the dying. I have shells with the same blisters in them. I'm not a fan of dyed pearls (or shell) at all but it's a pretty piece. Now I will duck and run. ;)

Thank you all for the thoughts. From the auction photo and description, I thought it must be something like those comet pearls. However, when it arrived and I saw the back, I was less certain - so wondered if it was a form of low quality mabe pearl or just a particularly thick piece of shell. The dying wasn't so obvious to my untrained eye in the small auction photo but the colour, shape and description did jog my curiosity enough to buy it for a closer look...

I'm thinking it's a sort of mabe cut out of a shell. Probably accounts for the dying. I have shells with the same blisters in them. I'm not a fan of dyed pearls (or shell) at all but it's a pretty piece. Now I will duck and run. ;)

Before you duck... Your description is pretty much accurate.

Wendy: As for the evidence of cutting, it looks to me like the periostracum was removed forcefully, just an opinion but I have seen it first hand (did it myself) with pinctada maxima. The outer layer can be popped out if enough force is applied (resulting into a rupture blood vessel and / or a sprained muscle as well).
This said you might be correct. Again do you have any idea of the species producing such?

Pattye, photos would be wonderful. I would have guessed that pink "pearl" to be shell as did the first expert that replied. So now I may have been passing up things at flea markets that may actually be pearls? It would be nice to have another thread for the experts to post photos of "pearls" that resemble shells for reference for those of us with less knowledge. (or on this thread). Ah so much to learn , so little time.

Daddys Little Pearl

Hi
I did three very quick pix of a couple of representative comet pearls. I reckon you can clearly see that while some could be mabe these two are fully round - there are pix of the front and back of each plus a head on shot showing roundness...clearly not mabecomet 3.jpgcomet1.jpgcomet2.jpg also clear to see the bead or beads inside.

These are a few Chinese freshwater mussel shells. You can see what I think we are looking at.

chinese shell 001.jpgchinese shell 002.jpgchinese shell 003.jpgchinese shell 004.jpgchinese shell 005.jpg

Fits with some, but how about the clearly not mabe-ish fully round ones like my pix, Mikeyy?
It can't be a mabe if it is free can it?

Back