Two Necklaces & One Pair of Earrings

badger

Hello! I recently received my second pearl necklace, and I'm a bit confused about what types of pearls they are. I'm also uncertain about my first pearl necklace and one of my pearl earring sets.

I've tried inserting the pictures, but I'm getting error messages. I've uploaded the pictures on Imgur: https://imgur.com/a/LuW239l

The first necklace is darker, and the pearls are bigger. It's 30" long and has "Pat P" on the clasp. Does that stand for patent pending?

The second necklace is 24" long. I inherited it, and it's a bit battered. On the clasp it says "14k".

The earrings say "Honora" on the metal. I thought they were Tahitian, but the company specializes in freshwater pearls.

I'm uncertain about diameter and how it's measured on pearls. Hopefully, someone can use the pictures with the measuring tape to estimate.

Thanks!

Hello badger, good morning and welcome to our pearl loving forum!
Hoping we can help you out today :)
Regrading photos: sometimes it is easier to go into the "Go Advanced" settings (when you post a reply you will find it below the text input square) and then you use the "attach files" option to add your photos.
I will post a couple of the photos that you placed on Imgur!
closeup necklace.jpgnecklace.jpgfwp earring.jpg

The pearl earrings have all the attributes of dyed freshwater pearls...potato shaped. Definitively not Tahitians.

This is your photo of the two necklaces
2 necklaces.jpg

Hi Badger,

Douglas is correct about your earrings, they are dyed freshwater. Honora does almost 100% freshwater pearls and is still in the industry, the flattened shape indicates there is no bead inside. Sometimes this shape is called "button."

The larger, darker pearls are likely imitation. I looked at them on your imgur album where I could observe the drill holes better. The holes appear to be larger than in cultured pearls, with possibly some peeling of the coating and also build up of pearly coating around drill holes. Please take a close look and let us know what you observe. Often the pearls nearest the clasp show the most wear.

The smaller strand appears to have more variation in luster and slight differences in shape and size. Do you observe this when looking at the necklace in person? What do you mean when you say this necklace is "battered"? If you turn the tape measure over, there may be millimeters there. The smaller pearls may be about 7 mm, probably Akoya pearls. They can be carefully washed and restrung, which will make them more attractive and wearable. With that length strand, damaged pearls can be removed and still have a wearable length.

Now that this post is showing up, I hope we will get some other's opinions!

Back