What Did I Buy?

Mary-Contrary

7B7AADB7-9B20-4C99-B134-41EABFB04121.jpg

DA04D58C-6242-4F84-B3AD-B8FB381B049A.jpg

I bought this from a wholesaler, from what I can tell it’s been lost in their inventory for a long time. They thought it was South Sea but the colors are so unusual. There’s several different colors—4 blues, 9 greens, greys, goldish ones, pinks. A mix of Tahitian and South Sea? They look nothing like FWP to me but what do I know? They’re about 12mm, some are flawless, some are not.

Any ideas? I’m asking because I feel like this might be beyond my usual jewelers, none seem to know pearls.

Maybe imitation. Rub 2 of the pearls together -- does it feel gritty or smooth? Rub one against the edge of your front tooth-- gritty or smooth? If smooth, then imitation.

If gritty, post closeups of some of the blemishes.

Definitely gritty. Here’s my best attempt at pictures of the flaws, most are just little pin pricks

156274F8-2478-4CBB-BC5E-D6EB69E0A083.jpg

93CB0891-0BC9-4A1E-908E-FF3C0812B668.jpg

So, I dragged out a bunch of Tahitian and South Sea pearls that I’m 100% confident in and these ones felt the same on my teeth as those. I about had a heart attack thinking they-re fake, but they feel like I’d expect

Mary, Welcome!
By the looks of the tag, these have been around awhile! Did the wholesaler have other pearls, or was this strand a one off? What a great size for pearls, too. I doubt these are freshwater pearls. There are quite a few different colors, so I'm leaning toward light Tahitian pearls. Pull the pearls apart and check the drill hole. It should have a very distinct edge. As PD suggested, close ups of blemishes will help.
To my eye these have the soft colors much like the Fiji pearls. Higher end pearls can have those temporary snap clasps to allow trying on before purchase.

It was from a reputable pearl wholesaler, they only deal in pearls. I visit them every year and rummage in their inventory. I’ve bought Tahitians and South Sea pearls from them over the years. I haven’t seen this inventory tag on their stuff in a decade, so it’s been forgotten somewhere before I got to it.

Drill hole is distinct.

Well, Mary, I feel you have some lovely pearls there! These must have been sorted from a very large harvest to be so well matched for size, quality, probably 2nd graft, too. Seems like it might be longer than 16 inches?

What fun, rummaging through pearl inventory; a dream for most of us here, lol!

They look like Tahitians or Fiji pearls to me, too. Nicely matched. Now they just need to be restrung with a nice clasp.

Thank you guys so much—I’d have never thought of Fiji pearls, glad I asked. It is longer than 16” and I’ll get it nicely strung with a proper clasp.

As for rummaging at the wholesaler, I’m a total nobody I just ask nicely. I do it every year and bring friends so they know me by now. I don’t buy their top shelf stuff but they always let me play with it. So fun! I was actually buying Freahadamas when I found this strand, it was lost in the CFWP area and totally stood out. I paid for it what I’d expect to pay at retail for a nice Freshadama strand.

Better pictures!
62CA2519-9ED2-4770-9F94-B5BF4163F12A.jpg

These pearls next to my fresh waters
8E4B5D0B-06C7-41EB-9C6A-D88D5DF80FC8.jpg

Mary-Contrary, Welcome! I agree with our experts here on your pearls. I think you found a real buried treasure, as these are rarer, less commonly seen colors much beloved by some of us :)

It's a gorgeous strand. Some tahitians have that soft coloring and they will go with everything. Nice find.

Thank you guys so much! I really appreciate the opinions. I had no idea they came in these colors, I just knew it looked amazing. Dumb luck!

You obviously have a "good" eye for pearls, Mary! If you'd like to know more about pearls, the Cultured Pearl Association of America has an excellent class, Pearls As One. You'll learn all sorts of cool things about pearls! It's available to our forum members free with this code from Pearl Paradise, PP10951 (There are other codes if this one doesn't work.)

You set up your password, enter the discount code and save $599! At the end you will pass a test and receive an actual certificate!

Gorgeous! Thank you for sharing them. Every time our experts weigh in on a strand I learn something, too.

Enjoy!

Wow, thank you so much for the course info! I will definitely take it. I’m slowly branching out from just-for-fun grade pearls to nicer ones, so being better informed is awesome.

My necklace went off to the jeweler to be strung, woooo.

Looks like a great find! I also thought Tahitians but now I'm wondering if they might be Fijis too since there's a lot of bronze and blues in the strand. Either way, it is a keeper!

Let's remember that the oyster than is used to cultivate pearls in Fiji (Pinctada Margaritifera Typica) also lives in French Polynesia, although in smaller numbers.

So they actually could be Tahitian pearls-- that is, pearls that come from F.P. -- regardless of the oyster that produced the pearls.

Back