I need help with GIMP!

Denali

Community member
I have been attaching clasps with clamshells but would like the more finished look of gimp. I bought some gimp but have no clue on how to use it! Please help me! I have looked on youtube but could not find any videos :(

I think we have some examples of how to use gimp in the knotting threads.
The way I put gimp on is to put the last 1-2-or3 beads on the thread, slide them to the end where the knot is.
Then put on the gimp and the clasp and pass the needle back through the end pearl and knot.
I like to pass it through the second pearl and make a second knot. I also like to pass it through the third pearl without a knot and trim the original knot off.
Then add all the rest of the pearls and knot.
Reverse the process at the last 3 or 2 or one knot.
If you only do one knot before you trim, a dab of clear nail polish or some kind of epoxy should be put on the knot so it won't come undone.
A zapper will work just fine as well, but it's a $20 something tool you will only need if you want to do a lot of knotting.

Two knots with a tail going through the third pearl and trimmed has never come unknotted for me.

Test pearl hole size by just passing threaded needle through a pearl and back through. If that doesn't work, go to a smaller size of thread, or you can ream the pearls out a bit. (Boring!)

Making a strong, non-stretching necklace is always my bottom line so I use Power Pro or Dandyline instead of silk, but that choice is up to you.

Last edited:
Thanks Caitlin!
I found your instructions very helpful :) The beginning turned out fantastic but then I cut the gimp too short when finishing of the bracelet. I guess practice makes perfect.

Denali,
when deciding how long the gimp has to be I always take into consideration how big the ring is (if large) cut a bit longer, if a small gold- or sterling ring (connecting the clasp with the rest of the necklace) you can cut it shorter. Be sure to pull the double thread so you get half of the gimp on one side of the ring and the other half on the other side so it ends nicely towards the pearl... Hope you understand what I mean.

I always cut one or two lengths all at once - I get a selection of lengths -because invariably the full strand will stretch or kink or otherwise get mushed up and spoiled

Working with the gimp gingerly will prevent the mushing.

Gimp...ugh...LOL! I was so surprised when I began searching for 14K gold gimp and realized.....all these beautiful 14K white gold expensive pearl necklaces have sterling silver gimp. :eek: That just seems wrong on so many levels but alas, there is no precious metal gimp to be found...

I have tried many many brands and have settled on the one from, from....um...dangit. :rolleyes: Stupid menopause! Hopefully I'll remember before I need to order some more!!

I am so laughing, knotty! Only you has made the same package of gimp last for a year without mishap! You said that a couple of years ago, but I am thinking that changed when you did the 40 necklaces for Terry?

I haven't done it yet, but I like Wendy's idea. Having all the gimp cut up and kept safely until grabbed by a needle and slid on would work too.

Denali
It sounds like you did great! You will get everything tuned up to the way you want it with a few more projects.

You can get gold filled and vermeil gimp, but just think how soft 14-18k gold is compared to silver. If it is easy for silver gimp to get mushed, I think gold would moosh if you breathed on it too hard!

I bet Platinum would work as gimp. Anyone heard of such a thing?

... and realized.....all these beautiful 14K white gold expensive pearl necklaces have sterling silver gimp. :eek: That just seems wrong on so many levels but alas, there is no precious metal gimp to be found...

To be honest with you Dana, I think most places use base metal or plated gimp. I hate that plated stuff. It breaks down. SS and vermeil is more expensive, but it lasts.

Sorry, Caitlin, you read that wrong. It was 40 feet, not 40 necklaces. The 40 feet was for the berry strands and I didn't use gimp on those.

Thanks for the correction, we don't want to start an urban legend! I didn't read it wrong, I remembered it wrong. Duh. (Shall I make my age the culprit? You know, senior moments, neck wattles, and all?)

So, That means you are still the champ of preserving gimp.

It's just so expensive compared to the plated. It breaks my heart to waste it.

There was a conversation about gimp a while back where somebody suggested wrapping very fine gold wire around a needle to make your own. I haven't done it yet but it sounds like it would work. Might not use it for practice though. Too pricey.
barbie

On the other hand if you are using rose gold it's not too hard to get copper wire. :p That should wrap easily. Don't know how well it would hold up. The statue of Liberty is green right? :D Be great to practice on.

Hi all,

Recently I tried the home made gimp with a very fine straight pin and 28 gauge white gold filled wire. It looked great until I had to bend it around the clasp. Then it separated too much. Perhaps it would work with an even smaller gauge wire. I really like the idea of being able to make my own. I think the gimp is kinda flat?? I need to look at it with the loupe.

Yes, I think it is half-round wire. Take a look at the colors Firemountain has.

Does anyone know if gimps are available in gold or at least rhodium plated silver? The gimp I got from HK tarnishes.:(

Thanks Caitlin!
I found your instructions very helpful :) The beginning turned out fantastic but then I cut the gimp too short when finishing of the bracelet. I guess practice makes perfect.

A trick which doesn't seem to have a downside so far: I put the jump ring on at the same time I thread the gimp, so the gimp tightens into a semicircle around the ring. That way I know I have enough. I've seen fish hook clasps fitted directly into the gimp via their little soldered rings and that's certainly quite secure, but it really limits clasp swapping/repair options.

Last edited:
Yes, open. I've never had one pull open under pressure, even with the 36in+ strands that I tug into place as a nervous habit. But I've mainly used sterling and niobium jumps for stringing. Seems like gold, high karat particularly, might pose a greater risk of spontaneous openage because of its malleability.

Ditto here on the SS open jump rings. They don't open if closed properly.

I just looked at the instructions for the snapeez jump rings. Sounds like a rip-off to me. That is precisely how you close any jump ring. These are plated-brass rings and the price is way high compared to solid precious metal rings.

Last edited:
Back