pearls and sapphires

linda.wald

This is a bit of an experiment, but I used some not super expensive south seas pearls, some itty bitty sapphire beads, and a nice clasp with sapphires. The clasp probably deserves better pearls, but I wanted to play around. The pearls are about 8mm and the beads 2.5mm.
ssp_sapphire_strand.jpg
Do you think the idea works?

Do the sapphires sparkle? I remember seeing a famous necklace where there were diamond beads between each pearl, although I do not believe that necklace was knotted. I would be afraid of the stones scratching the stones if there are no knots. I happen to like your necklace, Linda, but I definitely need to see neck shots!!!

Very pretty! I love this light colour blue with pearls—seeing this combo together reminds me of why I love to wear pearls and denim. :cool:

Hehehe, I think we’re hinting for a neck shot, Linda! Pretty please? (No pressure)

What a great combination. I like blue Sapphire & WSS together. Yes, I would love to see a neck shot to see how the strand drapes.

Very pretty, yes the idea works and yes, I echo the above, a neck shot please!

Thank you, everyone! I like to put the clasp in front, but it tends to turn upside down. It may be that it is too long.
ssp_sapphire_strand3.jpg

The small beads were not bad to work with. In a previous necklace I once got frustrated with the needle's eye not going through the bead, so I picked up a pair of pliers and yanked. Bad move. I broke the bead and destroyed the needle. This time I was more careful. There was one bead that I had to discard. I have an advantage of a sort in that I am very nearsighted. If I take my glasses off and move in close it is like having a magnified view. There are knots on each side of the beads so they won't rub. The clasp is something I picked up on eBay and was waiting breathlessly to use.

So pretty on you, thank you for the neck shots.
Have you tried the clasp on the side?

Linda, I think the necklace is a work of art. The first thing I studied were the knots using blue thread. Great idea! Clasp is a treasure and the pearls are perfect with it. Afterall they are SSP; good enough for anything. You will gets lots of compliments everytime you wear that!

Back