first knotting project

piper

After a long time lurking I finally decided to 1) try knotting my own necklace; and 2) post about it! Thank you to Pattye for the beader's secret, and thanks to all of you for the tutorials, instructions, and general encouragement. strand.jpg

GOOD JOB!!!! It's lovely. And of course, you knew we would ask for a neck shot!!! Are you hooked?

Lovely, Piper! Congrats! The first knotting project is the most intimidating, now you'll be looking for things to knot into necklaces!

Thank you BWeaves, battah, and lilliefuzzysocks! I keep going back and forth between wanting to rip it apart and try again (I know I can make those knots tighter!) and not wanting to take it off. I guess I'll just have to buy more pearls instead.

Thank you BWeaves, battah, and lilliefuzzysocks! I keep going back and forth between wanting to rip it apart and try again (I know I can make those knots tighter!) and not wanting to take it off. I guess I'll just have to buy more pearls instead.

I always knot every necklace 3 times. The first time, it's either too loose, too tight, or I picked the wrong pearls for the very end and can't get my needle through the very last hole. The second time, I feel I can do better. The third time, I'm done and ready to wear it. Plus, since I'm not a pro, it takes me three tries to get the tension just right for the entire length of the necklace.

Piper,

Just so lovely on you, and how much I love plump ringed drop pearls like those!! I hope you and each of you lovely "lowly beaders" are getting tons of compliments on your strands and smiling from ear to ear when you explain that you strung them yourself! Yes, I still have redos; that's life!

fantastic job - and just quietly those are my fave pearl (colour/type/shape) of all! luv it

Great job! I hope you get hooked to knotting like us ;) I really love stringing pearls and beadweaving.

Pattye, Jersey Pearl, Pearl Dreams, Kalman 22, Katbran, Ladonna Rama, Pareltje, and Cicadalady, thanks for all of your kind words. I'm about the least artsy-craftsy person in the world, (walking into a Michael's or other craft store makes me twitch) so this felt like a big leap. The Beaders secret was a dream to work with; the thread knew exactly what to do, even when I didn't. At some point I'll pull it apart and try again. I'm not to the point where it's relaxing (yet) but I see how it can be with a little more practice.

Last edited:
I bought them secondhand from a posting in the other forum (I'm not sure what I can and can't say about it) but they were originally from Wen.

Back