Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Golden South Sea Earrings on the Way!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I really like the colors and luster on Icyjade's earrings and would love to know more ... Even guesses
    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

If they have been tinted, it should have been disclosed, but they may have passed through more than one vendor. Secret dyeing of gold pearls happens all the time. On the other hand, the color is beautiful and you shouldn't let that stop you from enjoying them.

Comment

Where do you think they're from, Cees? IcyJade, totally gorgeous!

Comment

Dear Lisa C, I was in contact with Icyjade and she revealed the source and I have reasons to believe that South Sea pearls like the ones she have come from Myanmar. The reason is that I had a number of pearls in the same color and showed them to Jacques Christophe Brannelec Jr (Jewelmer) and also he said that this is a color rarely seen in Myanmar South Sea.

Comment

Well wherever it comes from ... that is a gorgeous colour !
            https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
            https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

Originally posted by Cees View Post
              Dear Lisa C, I was in contact with Icyjade and she revealed the source and I have reasons to believe that South Sea pearls like the ones she have come from Myanmar. The reason is that I had a number of pearls in the same color and showed them to Jacques Christophe Brannelec Jr (Jewelmer) and also he said that this is a color rarely seen in Myanmar South Sea.
              Hi Cees Can you tell us a bit more about these pearls coming from Myanmar? I can see that they have lovely colors and luster, but how does it rate comparing them to the golden south seas and the Burmese ones? Are they really that rare or just that particular color Icyjade had? Thanks!

Comment

Dear MelT, have a look at https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/co...-Triple-Threat this tells you a bit more about them. First I thought they look a lot like an Edison pearl from Grace but when you really compare them, you can see the difference.

Comment

The tip about putting a piece of real gold next to them for comparison was new to me - thanks for that, great idea! Would you think 14K or 18K is more 'on-target'...? They do vary, even within 14K the different alloy-mixes range from brassy to more orange...
                  ----------------------------------------
                  Kris Chronister, Pearls.com
                  kris@pearls.com

Comment

Thank you for the info. Icyjade's earrings are lovely, and just the prettiest color I've ever seen.
                    Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

I'm going to totally embarrass myself here, I should know this - are the deep gold SS so much more costly/valuable because of the rarity (as in infrequent) or because the darker color is more desired?

ok, I re-read Jeremy's post, and he said the bulk of the harvest is yellow, so the deep gold is numerically rare.

Part 2 of my question remains - is the deep gold so much more desirable emotionally, esthetically? Do buyers love deep gold as much in say, Edisons?
                      Last edited by lisa c; 10-13-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lisa c View Post
                        I'm going to totally embarrass myself here, I should know this - are the deep gold SS so much more costly/valuable because of the rarity (as in infrequent) or because the darker color is more desired?
                        That's a good question. I don't personally feel deep gold is necessarily more beautiful than medium gold or even lighter GSS. It is definitely more about the rarity. Pearl preferences are always personal when it comes to color. I am strictly referring to value. Just like a dark peacock Tahitian is many times more valuable than a light silver Tahitian, some people still prefer light Tahitians.

We specifically carry medium gold. Dark gold is not easy to source consistently and it can be insanely expensive. Last year or the year before I brought in one dark gold pair for Lilliefuzzysocks here on PG and was able to get just the one pair without buying a lot as a favor.

The reason I've made so many comments about the distinction is because of the very first post by Sea Urchin.

Originally posted by Sea Urchin View Post
                        they say they are round and more importantly, "deep" golden, for $250.
                        I don't see anywhere on the HSN site the earrings are referred to as "deep" golden, which would imply dark gold. But if they are described somewhere as dark gold, it is simply untrue and unfair to the producers, IMO.
                        Jeremy Shepherd
                        President and Founder
                        PearlParadise.com, Inc.
                        The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
                        PearlParadise.com on Flickr
                        PearlParadise.com on Facebook
                        Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

Thanks, Jeremy! It's always great to learn.

By "a lot" you meant like a Baggie? That was sweet, to be able to just get a pair.

Comment

Originally posted by lisa c View Post
                            Thanks, Jeremy! It's always great to learn.

By "a lot" you meant like a Baggie? That was sweet, to be able to just get a pair.
                            Yes, like a baggie

Tomorrow we have a new video teaser coming out shot at the Hong Kong show earlier in the month. This is a screen shot of one part of it -- those are lots. The lots are separated by different qualities and sizes and of course by color.

If pearls are selected instead of purchased by the bag, pricing changes dramatically. If one bag is $50 per pearl for the lot, you could easily pay $200 per pearl by selection. When a vendor lets you choose a pair at "lot pricing," they are doing you a favor. That's how I got Lilliefuzzysocks dark gold pair.

Btw, none of the lots in this photo are dark gold and this is only a tiny part of this company's inventory. They specialize in golds almost exclusively. They only have a few lots of dark gold that I have seen, and I don't recall seeing an A grade (AAA clean) dark lot and even the not-perfect-clean dark lots can easily reach $500 per pearl.
                            Attached Files
                            Jeremy Shepherd
                            President and Founder
                            PearlParadise.com, Inc.
                            The PearlParadise.com YouTube Channel
                            PearlParadise.com on Flickr
                            PearlParadise.com on Facebook
                            Some of My Favorite Pearly Finds on Instagram

Comment

If they don't have many dark gold, then it means they are honestly representing their pearls. You have to wonder if a seller has a huge inventory of dark gold pearls.

Comment

Thank you Cees, Jeremy and Gemgeek!

I have some more noob questions re: colors and overtones on GSSPs.
                                1. Are overtones rare on GSSPs and if yes how rare e.g. % of harvest? I've read that common overtones are rose and green? Which is more common?
                                2. How much premium do GSSPs with overtones command? Which overtones would typically cost more and why?
                                3. I've also seen a green GSSP - I assume that is rare but are there other rare colors in GSSPs?

Comment

Working...
                                X