Goldens: SS and Akoya

Naria

Community member
I'm not in the market yet, but I've started to be drawn to goldens. Other than the difference in value, do golden SS and golden akoyas have any other different characteristics? For example, should I expect one to have more luster than the other as well as more variation in overtones?

Well, one is usually a lot bigger than the other!
More seriously, there is a greater depth of colour to a SS pearl. A deep gold SS pearl has a richness of colour which makes the akoya look wan by comparison.
The lustre will be different - akoya pearl lustre is hard and sharp, whereas there is a satin quality to even the most lustrous of SS pearls.
There is much more variation in the colour of the gold ss too, from a pale blush to deepest goldd and even greeny gold

I'm curious about the phrase "satin luster". One reads it throughout discussions of pearls. What is the distinction between satin luster and low luster? Satin always seemed a little bit like coded language but perhaps I'm wrong.

That's a tough one. Satin is beautiful. Poor luster looks chalky. You need to do a lot of shopping in person to see the differences in pearls. What a fun chore, right? :)

Satin lustre in words....
well, with most pearls you want a mirror finish, like the finest polished metal or..a mirror. so you can see your reflection. It will be sharp and hard as a surface. With SS satin lustre, you can have lots and lots of shine still but it is the shine of great satin silk fabric.
Sort of like a camera lens with a smear of vaseline...same image but not focussed the same way...errrr. In any case, low lustre is low lustre, and there is no mistaking the difference between low and top grades
once you have seen the different pearls you'll understand maybe more clearly...

Hi Naria, from the size it is different too, the oyster (shell) of Akoya and South Sea is different, south sea is bigger.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the help. I should have been clearer. I am well aware of the size difference. I own tahitians and expect SS to be in a similar size range and was fully aware they are produced by different species. I was really curious about luster and color variation: issues with which Wendy was very helpful.

On the luster issue: I've actually seen quite a few pearls now. I still feel like satin luster is a bit coded. Maybe comparing it to low luster wasn't fair. Obviously chalky is no fun for anyone and certainly something I have never bought (though others have bought it for me. This forum provides a wonderful community service so that people no longer have to have commercial grade pearls inflicted on them by well intended givers). But high quality satin luster pearls just seem less lustrous to me. I'll split the difference and say it seems like medium luster. That being said I'm not really a huge fan of the akoya look, but I do like language which feels straightforward.

Okay, I'll throw in that poor lustre gold ss can look like a large lump of ear wax...or maybe poor grade opaque amber (if you want to be nicer!)

I personally wouldn't call satin luster as medium... Satin luster is characteristic of SSP, as their luster is like glow from within, while Akoya and FWP appear more on the surface. I think golden SSP (especially deep ones) is the best to represent that warm luster, just like Alex's beautiful pearls here https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=7127

There are also deep gold pearls that have strong shiny luster like this https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1403 and some people would find it preferable than the satin ones.

These (SS, I think) mabe earrings have a satiny luster (not goldens of course, but just speaking of what satin luster is):

attachment.php

Back