Help!! please tell me if the south sea pearl are real or fake???

asn0330

hello peeps!!

please help me determine if this south sea pearl that im planning to buy are real or fake??i appreciate to those who will answer.thank you in advance :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 123
Hi and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

They look like they could be SSP. They do not look to me like imitations -- they are not completely matched in color, luster or overtones.

There are now large freshwater pearls that are sometimes misrepresented as SSP.

What size are these pearls?
Are they undrilled?
Approximately what is their price?
Where are they being sold from-- where in the world?
If they have any blemishes could you post a photo of them?

Last edited:
Did you take this picture and see them in person, or are you buying from online and this is a photo they posted? Beware if buying from ebay because many times the photo shown is not what you will receive.

Hi and welcome to Pearl-Guide!

They look like they could be SSP. They do not look to me like imitations -- they are not completely matched in color, luster or overtones.

There are now large freshwater pearls that are sometimes misrepresented as SSP.

What size are these pearls?
Are they undrilled?
Approximately what is their price?
Where are they being sold from-- where in the world?
If they have any blemishes could you post a photo of them?

Hi Pd..thank you for responding..the size of these ssp are 16mm,undrilled coz they want me to pay it first before they start making the item..price is Php25,000 for a pair of 16mm and theyre from Palawan.the seller told me it has some "fish bite" ..

hi amti.. im buying it online and its actually from Palawan..i just need some help from u guys to look at it if this are real or fake before i buy it.the seller told me she can try give me with a lesser fish bite and luster ssp.she has a facebook page for all the pearls that shes selling so if you guys need more photos i can grab more.i just want to know if these ssp are real ssp or freshwater only.thank you

Based on that information I think they are probably SSP rather than FWP, but if I were you I would want to see all the photos of the "fish bites" before YOU bite!

Also consider how you plan to set them. 16mm is huge for studs. Are you planning to make dangle earrings? Whatever style you are planning, you would want the pearls drilled where the blemishes were, if possible -- or at the least, you want the pearl oriented such that blemishes aren't visible when worn.

i like it bigger to the point that they would see the pearl first before my face haha but ya im planning it on studs.my only comcern is will it look like its gonna fall off coz its too heavy?should i get the 15mm instead for a stud?thank you

hi amti..im buying online actually its in facebook and the seller sent that photo to me and its from Palawan. I can post more photos if u guys need more if the first one arent clear enough..thank you

Either size will tend to sag, so you may want to get some extra large earring backs to help prevent the sag.

Did the photos show you the fish bites? Because you want to know where they are, how much surface they cover, and if they will show when you are wearing the earrings.

Sure, post more photos!

Interesting...I thought there were some WSSP from Philippines. Jeremy would know, though.

The Facebook page shows lots of dyed pearls that are being sold as SSP.
I would definitely steer clear of this seller.

here are some of the pearls that she's selling

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    122.9 KB · Views: 69
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 48
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 50
heres more

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 34
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 68
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    52.1 KB · Views: 36
But look at what else she is listing as SS-- these are clearly dyed pearls. Very likely freshwaters. And she doesn't even mention that they are dyed.

I would not buy from a seller who is selling deceptively this way.

The best thing a pearl buyer can do is choose a reputable and honest seller. I would not trust this Facebook seller.

Edit: your last photos are examples as well. Green dyed pearls! Those are not SSP. Who would take valuable WSS pearls and dye them green? No one.

So I have to think the white pearls are also freshwaters.

Attachments

• dyed Facebook seller pearls.jpg
    dyed Facebook seller pearls.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 46
i doubt it pd she'd tell the truth..ill just base on whatever u guys think

I just want to add that this is an excellent example of why it's a good idea to look at any seller's pearls in the context of what else they are selling.

Back