Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I put in another order to Vivid Linen. Now that I know that they ship very fast to the USA, and I like the quality and the funky shapes. I haven't had to return anything yet, so I'm curious how that will work. It's horribly hot here. I got caught in the rain in that turquoise top, and it dried so quick, I was thrilled.

Comment

• BWeaves you’re making me want to place an order for stuff I hopefully won’t need soon (when will it cool down here?!)

Today’s stuffs - book locket with Kojima pearl, flower ring with Hisano freshie center, and beetle wing earrings! I’m loving these earrings, and they make such a pretty sound when they move.

Click image for larger version

Name:	A3E7585F-FE39-4999-9FA2-01259AB6CA20.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	383436
      Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Comment

• OOOOO, beetle wings!!! I love those. I wove a shawl in hand dyed chenille and sewed a fringe of beetle wings on it. It sounds like a gentle rain when I wear it because the wings gently clack against each other. I'll try to remember to post a photo when I get home.

People love the "dangles" until I tell them what they are, and then they're all, "EW GROSS." It's not like I pulled the wings off the beetles. The lady I bought them from also had the complete beetle plated in gold, with a pin finding on its thorax. That grossed me out. Your earrings are lovely.

The beetle wings used to be used for the those fabrics that they now sew little mirrors on called shisha embroidery. The beetle wings look like emeralds when used instead of the mirrors. The wings are also very light weight. The mirrors, even though they are small, are heavy and add a lot of weight to the fabric.

Comment

• Ohh BWeaves that sounds stunning, a beetle wing edging! Pics? la_corsetiere has an incredible dress with beetle wings all over it, it must be divine in person. I love how their colors shift - so brilliantly green in some lighting, and that gorgeous blueish purple in other lighting. Beautiful. I have one left and am going to try to bezel set it into a ring, but it might be too delicate. We shall see. I might coat it with resin first for some protection.

I want to get a bunch more. Layers of wings would make a rad statement necklace.

Comment

• Beetle wings...I've never heard of such but they sound really cool. I would love to see more pics of items using beetle wings.

Comment

• Kasumi earrings again, and Chinese ripple necklace. It looks prettier in person than it photographs. Funny how some pearls photograph better than they look in real life, and others do the opposite.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_889.jpg
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	383437

Beetle wing shawl being photographed right now.

Comment

• Beetle wing shawl. Woven in hand dyed rayon chenille, so it's very slinky and velvety on both sides. It was going to be 3 scarves, but I changed my mind after it came off the loom, and I cut it in half and sewed it up the middle with glass beads, to make a single shawl. It's hemmed, and the beetle wings are sew into the hem as a fringe.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_891.jpg
Size:	131.5 KB
ID:	383438

Each side has one very coppery beetle wing. All the rest are green. The back side of the wings are a dull black. They look and feel like fake finger nails.

Dang, I just noticed another broken wing. I have spares, but it's a pain to replace them. It's like restringing pearls. You have to do the whole necklace to replace one pearl.

Name:	IMG_6014.jpg
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	383439

The shawl does not go with today's outfit. It looks great with black.

Name:	fullsizeoutput_893.jpg
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	383440

I could definitely see Battah wearing this shawl with her earrings!!!
                Last edited by BWeaves; 08-31-2018, 12:17 AM.

Comment

• BW...looking fabulous!

Comment

• I can't view the attachments. Where ever do you buy beetle wings?

Comment

• I tried resaving the photos. See if you can see them now.

I bought my first batch of beetle wings at a weaving conference. The second batch I bought from a bead shop. If you google "beetle wings for sale" you'll find a lot of vendors. If you decide to buy, pay attention if they are predrilled or not. Mine were predrilled with a little hole at the top. If the price is really good, they may not be predrilled and you'll have to drill them yourself.
                      Last edited by BWeaves; 08-31-2018, 12:23 AM.

Comment

• Oh BWeaves that's amazing!! It's just stunning. I love the colors you picked for the fibers, they work beautifully with the wings. And the pop of copper! I die. If you bring it to Ruckus you may not leave with it, so you might want to leave it at home

But seriously, it's stunning. Your weaving is incredible (I love the shawls you wore at Ruckus, too).

Comment

• I got a packet of beetle wings on Etsy! If you get them from US vendors they're pricier (but still not expensive), but you can get bigger lots from overseas. Mine were drilled and I didn't realize - they're pretty easy to drill so I would have preferred to do it myself. The holes were kind of far down and I would've had to use huge jump rings to accommodate them and allow for movement, so I had to trim them above the holes. And will have to trim the one I want to try bezel-setting, to get rid of the hole.

Comment

• BWeavea, that's an incredibly special wrap. I've never heard of beetle wings, but they are beautiful! Like a hummingbird's shimmery feathers. Are they fragile? How would you clean a garment constructed with beetle wings?

Comment

• Wow, the colors on your shawl are breathtaking! The beetle wings are so perfect for the shawl too! That has to be my favorite of your lovely weavings!

Battah, I love the tiny locket. I saw the clip of you turning the pages on Instagram. What a clever idea!!!

Comment

• BW, that shawl is amazing!! I love the beetle wing fringe & the colors are beautiful!!

Comment

Working...
                                X