Pearl Paradise The Internet's Largest Collection of Fine Pearls - Shop Now! 80% Off Retail. Free Returns. Free Shipping. A+ Rating on BBB.

Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Pearls In Action!!!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bweaves I'm really curious about your white topaz. If it's shiny like diamond it would make a great substitute. I have a topaz jade ring but I must admit it's not as shiny as my diamond ring. Perhaps there are different (grades?) of topaz? Does anyone know?

Comment

• Pearly-Whites, I love that! What about putting some kind of silver or pave spacer beads on either side of the round pearls? To set them apart a little bit more from the keshis. I think that would make the two shapes more distinct.
      Instagram: @LiliasTreasures

Comment

• Kalmen,

Yes, White topaz, like other gemstones, comes in various grades. Rio Grande carries them in AAA grade. Although their refraction would be less than diamonds, top quality would likely compare favorably against a lesser quality diamond. Of course, the quality and number of facets will make a difference in the sparkle.
        Pattye

PatriciaSaabDesigns.etsy.com

facebook.com/PatriciaSaabDesigns

SO MANY PEARLS, SO LITTLE TIME----

Comment

• BWeaves...I do love those pearls ! And the earring pearls are marvellous . I think , as Pattye says above, that the quality of the topaz makes all the difference. Most of the time with the small stones we see pretty low grade stuff that probably cost $1 per stone and they are pretty flat looking.. the really good stuff has a nice sparkle.
          https://www.instagram.com/pearlzaustralia/?hl=en
          https://www.etsy.com/shop/pearlzaustralia

Comment

• Loving all the designs and pearls! I need to start taking photos of what I'm wearing. Selfies aren't my forte, but since I got a new phone, it is supposed to have a good camera, so maybe my selfies will be better.

Comment

• Thanks Pattye and Katbran. I've minimal knowledge of white topaz. Curious does the lose it shine after long period?
              Does anyone have topaz from Rio grande to show?
              So sorry I'm asking a non pearl related questions. Should I move this question elsewhere?

Comment

• [QUOTE=pattye;182224]
                Ivona ~ Wow, wanted to grab that amazing huge pearl right off the computer screen and run off! So glad you popped in Did you take a break from pearl stuff for awhile? I like the claw; I'd so wear that, too! The custom chain will be awesome with it!

Hi Pattye,
                I never disappeared. I'm visiting the forum every week. I just do not post, but I like reading what other people have to say and see what other people are making/wearing/buying.
                And no, no break from pearls... NEVER !!!!! LoL.....
                Ivona

Comment

• Kalmen, I just did up a necklace using white topaz and iolite beads...it's super sparkly! I'm also using them to make a tassel for a necklace. I tried to take a photo to capture their sparkle...believe me it's much more sparkly in person.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2750.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	374499

And here is the tassel project, in progress, using white topaz beads. These are 2-2.25mm. They are strung on Beader's Secret in blue to coax out a tad more blue from the stones. They appear clear individually, but when you lump them all in a pile, you can see the blue emanating from the stones. I have to admit, they are a new favoriteClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2705.jpg
Size:	152.5 KB
ID:	374500
                  http://www.oceanscovejewelry.com
                  Instagram: Ocean's Cove

Comment

• I find, especially in earrings and clasps that the quality of the diamonds can be very crappy and not sparkly unless it's a very expensive setting.

When I bought the blue grey drop earrings from Kojima, I wasn't expecting much out of the huggie part, as they were inexpensive. I was very pleasantly surprised by the amount of sparkle they had. No, it's not as much sparkle as good diamonds, but it's way more sparkle than some of the dead lumps of coal I have in some settings. The dead diamonds I have in some clasps are the reason I asked PP to get me a gold ball clasp with CZs instead of diamonds. I'm also very pleased with that clasp.

Comment

• BWeaves, that tassel cap I'm using is rhodium plated sterling with very tiny CZs. I could get the same, with mele diamonds, but I thought this looked great. BTW, there has been a lot of controversy regarding melee diamonds and their testing. Here is an interesting article: http://www.nationaljeweler.com/diamo...n-melee-parcel
                      Last edited by JerseyPearl; 05-02-2017, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• JP: Regarding that very interesting article about the lab grown stones mixed in with the natural diamond melee. Are they talking about lab grown diamonds, or true synthetics like CZs?

Comment

• Originally posted by BWeaves View Post
                          JP: Regarding that very interesting article about the lab grown stones mixed in with the natural diamond melee. Are they talking about lab grown diamonds, or true synthetics like CZs?
                          I believe two different types of lab grown diamonds...I would suspect that the GIA would not be at all fooled by a CZ. But I agree with you regarding using much nicer alternatives than crappy diamonds.

Comment

• I'm really bad about wearing the same jewelry several days in a row. It's like I rediscover a piece, and then it becomes my favorite for a week, and then I rediscover another piece and that one becomes my favorite for a week. I'm not very good about wearing something different each day.

So, the Kojima blue grey drops with the topaz in the huggie part are back on today, but this time with The Swan.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2852.jpg
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	374505

Comment

• That's a particularly lovely combination, BWeaves!

JerseyPearl, the white topaz/iolite strand is so sparkly and different ... the tassel has my heart Really going to be gorgeous!!!
                              Cathy

CathyKeshi

Comment

• I've never seen topaz beads before. They do look sparkly!

Your iolite and topaz necklace reminds me of a lead crystal necklace my mother brought back to me from Italy. Let me see if I can take a photo that does it justice. It's all very sharp, angular roundels and it sparkles like a thousand diamonds. It's jaw dropping in the right lighting. My sister got the "negative" version of this necklace. Her's was all black with just a few of the clear crystal roundels. It was also amazing looking. The necklaces are about 30 - 32 inches long.

My necklace from Italy on the left. It's strung on fine silver chain with a crystal clasp. On the right, my attempt to replicate the necklace for my late mother-in-law using small Swarovski crystal angular roundels and a crimp bead instead of a clasp. I couldn't find black crystal beads in the roundel shape, so I used the regular bicone shape instead.

Name:	IMG_2856.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	374507

My feeling is that the white topaz beads look a lot like the lead glass cut crystal beads. Lots of sparkle, just not as hard as diamonds, so they'll chip if I bang them against anything.

Name:	IMG_2861.jpg
Size:	162.7 KB
ID:	374508

Name:	IMG_2864.jpg
Size:	171.6 KB
ID:	374509

Trying to capture all the amazing colors and dispersion. In real life, the necklaces are going off like a thousand flashbulbs. One of my aunts thought it was a diamond necklace, hahhaha.

Name:	IMG_2865.jpg
Size:	175.3 KB
ID:	374510

I think these would look dynamite with a rope of pearls, but I'm afraid the sharp edges of the glass roundels will scratch the pearls.

Name:	IMG_2866.jpg
Size:	163.3 KB
ID:	374511
                                Last edited by BWeaves; 05-03-2017, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X