Wedding day pearls: it was a difficult decision...

Now you've made me want a loupe ...

And of course, I forgot to congratulate the happy couple and the lucky MIL!

Last edited:
OK, now what magnification? There are cheapish ones in a set of 3 on ebay, 3x, 5x and 10-12x. Or there are single 30x.

A loupe is a good thing to have and use, period. Get a 10x triplet. They cost about $20 or so. You will wonder how you got along without it.

But as far as diamond quality, I think as long as the diamond is eye clean and well cut, and is cleaned frequently so its brilliance isn't obscured by the dirt and grease that is deposited on a ring that is worn daily, it will look good. Doesn't have to be a high color or clarity grade.

Mine is 1/2 carat, G-H color, SI2 clarity and it really is nice looking. But only when it's kept clean.

Last edited:
Yes, eye clean is SI2 or better.

Once you get to I1 grade (I being imperfect) then the inclusions are visible to the naked eye. SI2 is one grade above imperfect but it looks clean to the naked eye. And that is how one normally views a diamond one is wearing.

My diamond belonged to my husband's great aunt in the 1930s.

Last edited:
Olga

Olga

She is a beautiful bride and he's a handsome groom. Congratulations to your family. The choker is simple yet classy on her neck. Excellent choice. :)

Raisondetre, choose triplet 10X. "Triplet means three lenses made of different types of optical glass bonded together and designed that, together, they straighten out the light that comes into the front of the loupe lens so that it's the same when it leaves." Hope that helps. Firemountaingems has a few models.

Hi Olga,

also congratulations to a lovely couple and the choker looks great.

As for size of diamonds: small but top quality, I also prefer TW VSI to W/SI....

Sizes for pearls: bigger is better - but top quality is a must in larger pearls....

Yes, eye clean is SI2 or better.
My diamond belonged to my husband's great aunt in the 1930s.

The loupe that is used in the industry is triplet 10X.
Eye-clean is SI 2 and up, as Pearl_dreams said.
The color can be determined only when the diamond is placed face down, never when it is in the setting.
Higher color is always better than clarity.
A white gold setting is better for high color range and yellow gold for lower colors.
The best way to clean diamond jewelry is to boil it for 5 minutes in water with some liquid (dishwashing) detergent.

Pearl_dreams, your diamond must be an "old cut," right?

Concur with 10X magnification for a loupe, as it is the industrial standard for determining "clarity" of a diamond.

Check out this link to White Flash's definition of "Eye Clean", very good read:

White Flash's Definition of "Eye Clean"

Cut is the most important of all 4Cs, as it gives the diamond the sparkle. A good cut diamond looks more sparky than a bad cut one, and can make a warmer (Is and Js) coloured diamond look whiter. An well-cut J can be mounted on platinum without showing up as warm.

Colour is very personal, some can deter colours much better than others. Once mounted in jewellery, it is very difficult to distinguish colours from H and up, except for trained eyes, or putting the stones side by side in good light.

Eyeclean can be as low as SI2, depending on the location of the inclusion, and the shape of the diamond. Brilliant cuts such as Round and Princess can "hide" inclusions better than step cuts such as Emerald and Asscher.

A well cut H/VS grade diamond is much better value for money than an average cut D/IF for majority of cuts. If cut and carat size are equal, then a H/VS will definitely be better value than a D/IF.

For diamond jewellery, if the diamonds are very small, i.e. 1mm or smaller, then the colour and sparkle factor are more important than clarity.

Pricescope, the diamond forum that does not allow much talk on pearls, is a great resource about all things diamonds and coloured stones, and one can browse freely without being a member, just like this forum :)

DK :)

BTW, for the loupe, does it matter if it's 18mm vs 21mm? I think that's just the size of the viewing field.

BTW, for the loupe, does it matter if it's 18mm vs 21mm? I think that's just the size of the viewing field.

I have little experience with either, however, I did have a 20x loupe for work once that had a smaller viewing window, not much bigger than 12mm if I remember correctly, and I found it not particularly easy to use!

The trick is to place the loupe as close to your eye as possible, then bring the object into focus :)

My suggestion would be to start with high quality 10x loupe. You will be able to be comfortable with using it---
The trick is to place the loupe as close to your eye as possible, then bring the object into focus
thusly in a very short time. I also have a 20x but use it much less.

Pearl_dreams, your diamond must be an "old cut," right?

No, it's actually brilliant cut!

As to 10x versus 20X magnification, there is a good reason to use a 10x loupe to examine a stone-- you will be able to see inclusions in any part of the stone. Ironically, with 20x, you may miss seeing inclusions that are there because the depth of field is less. In fact, beware if a seller tries to get you to examine a stone with greater than 10x magnification-- they may be hoping you will not see the inclusions.

BTW, the real meaning of "Diamonds Are Forever" is once you buy them, you're stuck with them. (When you try to sell them you get 007 percent of your price back):):):)

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt and got my fingers burnt, and a very expensive lesson learnt! :(

The pieces I sold were childhood gifts that no longer fit or to my taste with no sentimental value, ah well :rolleyes:

The pieces I sold were childhood gifts that no longer fit or to my taste with no sentimental value, ah well

Hopefully for someone else they will become much loved and treasured----I need to do more of getting rid of the unused, making room for new treasures---

Back