Natural black pearl engagement ring

Tobias

Hello all - I'm new to the board and so far the posts here have been quite helpful.

I'm looking for a natural black pearl for an engagement ring. If anyone can refer me to a natural pearl dealer that would be great. I've already contacted Jeremy Norris at Oasis Pearl but he doesn't have any black pearls at the moment.

If anyone can point me in the right direction and/or give me some advise on my pursuit please don't hesitate to contact me. You can email me at tobias.moyer@yahoo.com

Thanks much!

Valerie,

Thank you very much for the reply. I've been searching the forums for information on natural black pearls and it has been quite helpful. I contacted Jeremy Norris and I sent an email to Cortez a minute ago. I've also noticed that PearlParadise.com has natural black pearl in its Exotic Natural collection:

http://www.pearlparadise.com/detail.aspx?ID=1010

That is what I'm looking for but just need the loose pearl so I can choose a band and setting of my liking. Maybe PearlParadise will create a custom ring for me?

I was thinking of a platinum band but a local jeweler advised against it? He recommended 14k white gold.

But first things first, I need to find a round natural black pearl :) preferably from Mexico. I think it would be a nice touch because my girlfriend is from Mexico...

Tobias said:
He recommended 14k white gold.

Why on Earth?

I might have understood a price argument if he proposed Palladium - another naturally white metal, not the yellowing white gold... At least if the option was for gray gold (the Palladium-based white gold alloy that does not yellow) or at least 18kt.

Apparently, you are looking for a very rare, precious gem and a custom made setting. I would imagine that the cost of the metal is... immaterial compared to the rest.

My main concern about the ring would be wear - pearls are not 24/7 gems (if any is, but that's another matter). They re very tough (ever tried to break a pearl?) but easily scratched, tainted by household and makeup chemicals. Meaning - this ring will be wearable, of course, but the design of the setting and the wearer should take care of the pearl.

Short of hiring a structure engineer for the project, classics should work; pearl rings have been around for centuries with the few elegant staple designs never changing very much. Not that you shouldn't get as creative as you want. Loved THIS at PP, but the tall ring does not inspire frequent wear (not that there is any contradiction with the choice of such a pearl! that one will likely get pampered big time); but would think THIS is the protective choice especially because the respective black pearl is not all that large and the setting hugs it allot....but the old way of building a barrier of little stones between pearl and potential bumps is no worse. And if wear was no problem... minimalist rings that make the pearls appear to float over the hand are great :cool: Here's proof ;) but... I wasn't thinking of e-rings then, for sure.

Anyway, 'guess you realized by now I am a... jewelry campaigner? ;) Everything is simply an opinion, of course.

It is nice to hear about a project like this; 'natural black pearl' sounds absolutely irresistible :)

Best of luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
Or, when purchasing a pearl, why not see if you can get a few in the same size so you will have replacements at the ready.;)

This may be expensive, but imagine how you would feel if you couldn't find the same thing later. The pearl will show considerable wear with daily use, but a pearl as an engagement ring is hot!:D

That sounds like mass pearl murder! Man! Natural black pearls...grinded...:(

Do e-rings have to be worn often? :rolleyes: Some keep them as a significant jewel (and that's were the serious eternity rings step in)... but that's a different country I am talking about. :eek:

GemGeek said:
Or, when purchasing a pearl, why not see if you can get a few in the same size so you will have replacements at the ready.;)

This may be expensive, but imagine how you would feel if you couldn't find the same thing later. The pearl will show considerable wear with daily use, but a pearl as an engagement ring is hot!:D

Ya damn right it is ;) pardon the french.

So this is what I was thinking:

A platinum or 18k white gold setting with a 8-9mm natural round black pearl (hopefully from Mexico). I believe that natural pearls are not sized by mm's? I believe it is carats?

I've attached 3 bands that I like, let me know what you think.

I will shoot Jeremy at PP an email to see if he 1) has a natural round black pearl and 2) if he would create the ring.

Attachments

• Ring 1.jpg
    Ring 1.jpg
    12.7 KB · Views: 58
  • Sea of Cortez earrings from Carolyn Ehret/Drusy Designs
Carolyn's Photo.
    Sea of Cortez earrings from Carolyn Ehret/Drusy Designs Carolyn's Photo.
    26.6 KB · Views: 75
  • Ring-3.JPG
    Ring-3.JPG
    8 KB · Views: 46
No question about the 'three stone' - it is as controversial as sliced bread. Would go for a finer make, but ... that's the last bit of choice. Those are ok too.... You don't have to look at the construction of a ring as it were the Golden Gate bridge after all ;)

The other one (I recognize that!)... you might want to ask the the end user: besides, it will look very different with a less enormous pearl.

BTW - Not every jeweler has a bench that can do platinum, so they will steer you toward what they can do. If you can't get it done in platinum or palladium, go for the 18K white.

I think the three-stone looks more like an engagement ring. Who wouldn't want some diamonds thrown in there? Also, the stones offer some protection from knocks on the sides.

The third one is lovely, but it's going to come off the post if it's worn daily. When pearls sit high, without some kind of barrier, they can get bumped at the base, which will eventually work the pearl off the post.

I still think a pearl engagement ring is hot.;)

GemGeek said:
BTW - Not every jeweler has a bench that can do platinum, so they will steer you toward what they can do.

GemGeek is right. It's difficult to work platinum and not all jewellers are equipped so they give you the usual spiel about how 18K or 14K(gasp) is better. White gold in 18K is nice but will eventually yellow to a certain degree. Platinum(and palladium), on the other hand, always stays a blueish white. That's why platinum and diamonds are the ultimate sparkle combo. If you get the ring done in platinum, just make it a fairly delicate one since platinum weighs as much as platinum.

I think a natural pearl engagement ring is soooo romantic. You are pretty thoughtful for thinking of it. Lucky gal.

Slraep

All I see in the designs are post settings and glue. I'd be a basket case every time I wore it. Will there be a wedding band to go with?

Last edited:
Is there a particular reason for wanting a natural pearl? Obviously it's personal choice, but I find Sea of Cortez pearls possibly the most beautiful and they're cultured. Just curious. Natural pearls are rare and the shapes are interesting, but as to whether they are the best remains to be seen.

Sea of Cortez keishi? Now that's a dream pearl.

Go natural pearl if it is for an engagement ring. It really will stand up to wear.

I enclose a picture of a natural Bahraini pearl that has been worn heavily for six decades. You can see how battered the gold is. But the pearl is fine. It wears better than the gold.

Attachments

• baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    baroque pearl ring 008.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 54
Caitlin Williams said:
I enclose a picture ...

That one should be the safest thing to wear a pearl in short of keeping it in a box!

How about something like THIS with a pearl? Perhaps sans the little pears.

cpbht9mj1.png

A very well-designed setting. It's all about protecting the pearl.

knotty panda said:
A very well-designed setting. It's all about protecting the pearl.

Yeah! ... sometimes I wonder though if it has to be that 'more metal = more safety'. Wish it didn't... especially for the larger pearls. And for a tame ring, 10mm is already 'large' enough (as is for natural pearls, if not mistaking).

Take THIS. It looks as safe as a bungee jump, but... those jumps are safe, right?

... tapping fingers for the outcome of this thread! :cool:

Raisondetre said:
Natural pearls are rare and the shapes are interesting, but as to whether they are the best remains to be seen.

What do you mean?

Between a cultured solid nacre one and a natural piece both fairly symmetrical and top quality, I'm starting to wonder too.

I don't want to argue with the experts on this forum but I am sorry unless white gold of any karat 10K, 14K or 18K has been rhodium plated it will not "yellow"with age. Anything that has been rhodium plated will change color, depending on the alloy that has been plated, as the rhodium wears off.
For more info regarding gold alloys etc. check out the archives of the orchid forum for those making jewelry and those interested in the making of jewelry.

DFrey

DFrey said:
I don't want to argue with the experts on this forum but I am sorry unless white gold of any karat 10K, 14K or 18K has been rhodium plated it will not "yellow"with age...

I'm hardly any expert and there's no argument ;)

From this jewelry wearer's point of view what process changes the color of white gold pieces matters less then that the change occurs. Not sure why everything is rhodium doused these days...

Back