New course on cultured pearls

I have a question, did the reading explain why Chinese freshwater pastel pearls should be placed in a dark place , as they will turn white in sunlight??? This comes from Richard Wise book , SECRETS OF THE GEM TRADE.
Bluidragon,
That is a good question, probably the best explanation is that it is based on old information thought to be true at the time the book was written. You may have seen in the course material photos of pearls being bleached in large vats under florescent lighting. So I feel it would take a very long time in intense sunlight to bleach a pastel pearl. (Dyed pearls could possibly be more susceptible to fading under the same circumstances.) I feel Mr. Wise has much more expertise with gemstones than pearls. There is an updated edition of this book. Gemgeek just reviewed it!

I've emailed Bo twice to follow up on my certificate. No response and no cert! I completed the course in september last year.

The cultured pearl section of the Secrets book was not updated, but the natural pearl section is new. Even with old cultured pearl info, the book is well worth the reading and keeping as a beautiful reference.

It isn't a good idea to leave any pearls in direct sunlight for a prolonged period, like leaving them on the windowsill for a few weeks. :)

I've emailed Bo twice to follow up on my certificate. No response and no cert! I completed the course in september last year.

Can you email me your details. I will follow up with him personally.

If anyone else has a similar issue, please send me a note.

It's like herding cats with these guys sometimes ... :p

I e-mail Bo Perry for a new "non-herby" certificate in January and got a second one with corrected spelling right away. As much as I treasure the misspelled one, I thought I should get a corrected one in case I needed to show it someone in the Jewelry biz.

I've tried to sift through this thread but can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Is this course still offered for free? And can someone submit the link to the course?

I've tried to sift through this thread but can't seem to find the info I am looking for. Is this course still offered for free? And can someone submit the link to the course?

Here's the link to the course:

http://www.pearlsasone.org/

I'm not sure if the course is still free to members of Pearl Guide with a coupon code.
Check with Jeremy at Pearl Paradise.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had the same question re: the course, can we still sponsor people to take it for free? A jeweler friend has expressed interest.

Good day to all!
I have a question - is the course still free? The sponsor's coupon does not work.

This seems very interesting! Is it possible to sign up and have a look at the site or will I be charged 599 USD at once?

Dear Jeremy! Get a wonderful course on pearls in your native language - this is an invaluable gift! All my free time I will give to the study of this course. Thanks you!

I have registered but I must be stupid, I cannot start the course. It just says that I have already "purchased it" (but it was for free)... Where do you click to enter the course?

Back