Natural Saltwater Pearls

JoanAU

Hello, I'm Joan, I would like to know if you can appraise my natural seawater pearls here. I just bought them and I'm trying to sell them too in a good price. Thank you.:eek: 01.jpg02.jpg

Hi JoanAU, welcome to Pearl-Guide.

I had to look up brown lip shell and found a few images of a "brown lip tiger shell." Is this a kind of mussel? I'd never heard of it.
Did the seller tell you where/how they had gotten them?

I bought them from my uncle, he is a deep sea diver/fisherman, its rare and its from the oyster family. photooriginal-17289-551681.jpg

Pteria penguin, is a mollusc in the family Pteriidae, the pearl oysters. It is native to the western and central Indo-Pacific region and is most often used to create mabe pearls.

Attachments

• penguin.jpg
    penguin.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 37
Hello again, thank you for the replies. I did a test for specific gravity and the result is natural pearl. I talked to my uncle again and he said that there are a lot of different kinds of "brown lip shell". I'll show him the many different kinds of brown lip pictures online just to make sure.

Do you have any idea with how much should I sell them? Thank you very much.
:) :eek:

Interesting - I'd not heard of a brown - lipped mollusc...but then looking at Dave's post perhaps its the Pteria penguin and that I have heard of :)

As for cost ..we don't value pearls at this site..sorry.

There are others who can comment on whether or not what you've done proves they are natural.

There are some sites that deal in natural pearls and that might help you to get an idea of prices, providing they are truly natural pearls.

Thank you Katbran. But can you grade my pearls? I am planning to get GIA certificates for these. :)

What a pretty oyster...Good eye Dave!!! Inside is so lusterous & irridecent!

Back