Shanghai pearl shopping spree-help!

lambskin

I have about 3 hours to spend at the Shanghai pearl market. I was there about 3 years ago and with the help and expertise of this forum I purchased two strands of fireballs which I made into necklaces, pendants and earrings. I love them even though they are not of the wonderful quality as I have seen posted on this forum or sold by PP. Now I get to return for only a few hours and wondered what you all would recommend to purchase. I am fascinated with metallics and Edison pearls. Getting anything with 14kt-18Kt gold will be too pricey so I am looking at sterling fittings or some loose pearls. I can't get rings as I have arthritis. Maybe a triple strand? I will get pendants and earrings for gifts. I do not want dyed pearls. I am limited to FFP as I really believe that that is what will be on offer there at the best price. Any claims of SSP or akoya pearls are suspect. So if you were in my shoes, what would you get? Any help would be most appreciated.

Lambskin,

What fun! Sounds like you have stayed current with what is available in fwp. I'd recommend seeing what high quality metallic and great luster items are available, without having anything too specific in mind. Four or five strands can be made up so many ways, rope, 3-strand, bracelet, etc. I always recommend taking "reading glasses." Be sure to report back! Jealous!!

Oh this sounds like fun! I have never been to Shanghai and would love to go one day!

Make sure you post a lot of pics when you get back! Have fun!!!

If this is like the Beijing market, I was advised to ask for "the best quality they have" of a particular item and then bargain hard. I found it very exciting! Looking forward to a report with photos.

Thank you all for your replies and help. I am thinking about a triple strand FWP white and whatever I see that catches my attention such as some earrings and pendants.

Edisons. I just picked up a strand in Hong Kong and I'm guessing China will have more and in greater variety of colours.

Back