What is the nucleus of "Chinese kasumi" ripple pearls?

Pipypupy

Hi,

I have one strand of manufactured "shell pearls", and 3 strands of CFWPs fire-ball or flame-ball type pearls, all purchased quite a few years ago before I knew about the giant clam bead nucleus. I stopped wearing them when I found out.

Recently, I have been seeing these beautiful necklaces of CFWPs pseudo-kasumi "ripple pearls" everywhere on the internet. They can come in massive sizes, much bigger than the original Japanese Lake Kasumigura pearls (which as far as I am aware uses American freshwater mussel shell mother of pearl bead nuclei, like akoya and south sea pearls).

Before I invest in a necklace, does anyone on this forum know the type of shell bead nucleus used in these ripple pearls? The biggest I have "seen" online is 17 mm, is that usual for mother of pearl or is it more likely to be giant clam? Since these are also from China, is there also an economic "high cost of American mother of pearl shell bead" issue involved? When I purchased the fire-balls they were at about the same price point as the current (non ebay, recommended online sellers discounted or sale price) ripple pearls, which is a fraction of south sea pearls.

What about Edison pearls? What are they nucleated with? Based on price alone Edisons are offered at a higher price point similar to south sea pearls so their manufacturer should be able to afford to use traditional mother of pearl bead nuclei?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.

Hello Pipypupy,

I don't know myself but I am sure the experts will know so just bring bounce your thread back if it disappears and someone with the complete knowledge will answer you eventually. I suppose they are all very busy at this time of year. Good on you for you eco friendly ways.

Dawn - Bodecia
http://www.ebay.com/sch/dawncee333/m.html
eBay Seller ID dawncee333 Natural pearl collector & seller. And all round pearl lover.

I hope one of the experts responds, I'd love to know as well. I love the look of the ripple pearls and have also seen a strand on PP called 'Inception' freshwater pearls that are gorgeous but can't find the article on the website as to how they are formed. I love the look of baroque pearls of all kinds!

it is suspected that China is using nuclea from Tridnaca Giga shells as a Chinese frieghter was intercepted with a load of these shells around Scarborugh shoal which is in the Philippines 200 miles zone. The shells are CITES protected and could cause problems when exported from China

Cees, thank you for the report. This surely isn't good news. Perhaps a relevant topic for discussion among the pearl experts convening in Tucson next week.

I seem to recall a discussion about the difficulty of drilling pearls with these as nuclei, an additional reason to not use them.

I don't know how much they are being used now, but they cause tremendous problems when it comes to drilling the pearls. It's sad.

Here a photo of a Chinese vessel fuyll with shells stolen from one of the Phikippine islands in the 200 miles zone

Attachments

• Tricnada.jpg
    Tricnada.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 35
I really wish this would stop, this constant searching for cheaper/quicker alternatives to the classic American Freshwater nucleus. Not only are the tridacna shells CITES protected, but they're horrible for pearl nucleation. One reason is the drilling issues mentioned by GemGeek and Pattye, but also because of the temperature variation between the nuclei and the surrounding nacre- the nucleus expands and contracts at a higher rate than the outer nacre layers, causing the pearls to eventually split and fall apart.

Additionally, it's causing problems with the American Freshwater nuclei trade! I know there are many pearl farming companies out there that have instituted specific standards that their nuclei must adhere to in order to prevent future catastrophe, but in the meantime we all have to be aware that these kinds of practices are occurring with lower end pearls...

At any rate, Kasumi-Style or Chinese Freshwater "Ripple" Pearls are actually nucleated with a cultured Freshwater pearl- the technique is called "Baroque In-Body Nucleation" and involves nucleating an existing Freshwater pearl sac with a whole cultured pearl- which results in the incredible texture, size and hefty weight. Hope that helps! :)

Thanks for the answers everyone, and for re-assuring me. Nucleated with a cultured freshwater pearl is fine by me, much better than using endanger clam shell, so I just purchased my first 8" of 12mm Chinese kasumi. Can't wait to see them.

I've been looking for a thread where Sarah was commenting on ripple pearl nukes being like rocks - I'm drilling some fireballs at the moment which are as resistant as trying to drill a neutron star. I'm having to drill about a mm then stop to let everything cool down and maybe a new bit then another mm
and these are from Grace!
(and some ripple pearls are the same. You can have a mixture of okay to drill and rock solid on the same strand so it isn't all just using pearls or US nukes or reputable firms)
<sigh>

Update: one of the fireballs was a double nuked one - one nuke was rock hard; the other (slightly smaller)..no problem.
think we simply say it is officially totally unpredictable.

Edisons and ripples are bead nucleated, not pearl nucleated. The only pearl-nucleated pearls I've seen are those baroques that look like souffle. We marketed them as "Inception Pearls" a couple of years ago. Edisons and ripples have a round bead inside of them. I don't know what sort of bead it is, but often it is very hard - almost like a stone - but those hard ones that I've broken open clearly have beads made of shell material. They would have to be tested by a lab to (hopefully) tell you what they are. The first ones we had tested by GIA in 2007 were "from saltwater origin," but not definitive on species. I don't know what they're using today.

Back