Please help me complete my minimalist pearl necklace collection!

pearlydust

Hi there!

I have spent numerous hours this past weekend on the forum. What a treasure! I am really excited to learn that fresh water pearls are such a good value, priced at the lowest end of the price scale but can last much longer! This is huge b/c previously I have turned my nose up against fresh water pearls, considering them inferior to all other types of pearls out there!

Anyway, since there are so many pearls enthusiasts out here, I would like to ask for your collective advice in building my minimalist pearl collection. I have three items so far, and would like two more fresh water pearl necklaces or strands. I work in a casual office, so I either wear the three items separately, or I twist 1 and 2 together for a more "dramatic look".

1 - multi colored fresh water strand, 17 inches
2 - white akoya strand, 16 inches
3 - Tahitian tin cup necklace, 18 inches

Given I have limited budget (solved by the fact that I will go with fresh water pearls), and only two spots in my jewelry box (I am some what of a minimalist) How would you complete this collection? Since I already own round pearls in standard length, I am wondering if I should venture into baroque shape or longer lengths. The colors that speak to me right now are white, multi colors kasumi-like, and edisons.

Money isn't that big of an issue, only because since these are not urgent purchases, the higher the price tag the longer I will save ..:p . I am more interested in getting the biggest bang for the buck in terms of the lowest per wear cost in the next 20, 30, 40+ years. And I hope that the selected necklaces can work independently or together with the existing strands when I twist them together.

Thanks a lot in advance for your insight.

I have a 36" 5.5mm akoya necklace from Pearl Paradise that I absolutely love! I was inspired by THIS POST from Hisano on the Pearl Paradise blog. I find it very lightweight and easy to wear long or doubled. I purchased 8-9mm natural white akoya Hanadama studs to wear with it, and this set does get worn often.

B8525F34_zpsc465bb59.jpg

akoyaropedress2_zps524c8753.jpg

B8F60897_zpscf3d4dfe.jpg

Pearl Paradise also has some very lovely freshwater pearls (that make beautiful ropes!) and they have some amazingly beautiful edisons. Definitely take a look at their natural silver-blue baroque akoyas and their lavender freshwater strands...I think they would be lovely with your collection.

Sarah at Kojima Pearl also has some very beautiful and interesting freshwater pearls, as well as Kasumi pearls. Her lovely pieces are unique and fun.

If you have something in mind that you don't see on their websites, try contacting them as they might have them in stock (but not listed) or be able to get them for you. Both venders do custom orders and have excellent customer service.

Last edited:
I love the kasumi-ish pearls for something a bit outside the normal. Especially the ones with lots of gold in them - like this one n bead nuked gold leaf rounds hk 2735.jpg
You have a multi coloured strand already...so I'm not suggesting Edisons (and only for that reason as they are beautiful pearls but pricey)
How about a long black strand - like this (this is a lariat style so can be a long necklace, multi strand shorter or a bracelet) n_lariat_black_aaa7.5_3275.jpg
Or bracelets for the days you don't feel in a necklace mood?
And you don't mention earrings (or maybe rings)

It depends so much on your taste and style (i.e. do you want a variety of pearl sizes represented? Do you want something classic or something to make a statement...or both?) - but I would absolutely get a freshwater rope in your favorite color, and in a length that allows doubling or tripling to lengths you like (tying a knot in it is great, too). OR multiple smaller pieces that could be combined to act as a rope. I really like seeing answers to this kind of question - thanks for asking!

What about something like these. They are not the Chinese Kasumis, but smaller (10 -11mm) and might not overwhelm your other strands or your purse.

Attachments

• IMG_0245.jpg
    IMG_0245.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 32
To answer the question I'd personally get either a tahitian or a ripple (chinese kasumi) necklace and a rope. At least 36 inches if not longer. They're just so versatile.

Back