Help for buying a kilo of pearls?

Sea Urchin

I'm thinking about buying a kilo of freshwater pearls and setting up a little Etsy shop. It looks like fun and I haven't caused any trouble lately, haha.

So, yeah, I have no idea what I'm doing. I signed up on Alibaba but one place quoted me prices that sound like more than retail. Another quoted a good price but they had too many poor customer ratings. So far, the others have just ignored me.

I'm thinking 7-8 or 7.5-8mm, near round, high luster, mixed natural colors. I don't know what it should cost. Maybe I can't even afford it. Any thoughts for me before I make a gigantic boobie out of myself? ;)

Full drilled, I thought just in a bag. Unless strands are better? *iz dum!*

Why a kilo?

What I suggest is contacting the larger companies via Hong Kong. By larger I mean larger companies in Zhuji (Grace, Angeperle, Shanxiahu Pure Pearl) that have offices and English speaking staff in Hong Kong. They will have a grading scale and price lists. THe prices will be higher than what you would be able to negotiate face to face, but cheaper than a ticket to Asia.

Thanks. I don't have any particular reason for a kilo. I just need some pearls to start with, and it seems a nice even unit. ?

If buying full drilled from one of the above-mentioned companies, you'd most likely want to buy them in matched hanks. Typical loose lots are half-drilled or not drilled at all.

You would have a kilo's worth of nice round white strands for sale? Any other kinds of pearls? Etsy shops are cool. Just wondering what your concept would be...

I would like to start with a couple of summery things, some color gradient strands and also some tiny pearl ankle bracelets with other gemstone beads. ;)

I would buy one or two strands of a type of pearl- especially if you want to do color gradients and buy gemstones, too. Color gradients only use part of each strand.

I have been to many bead shows where the pearls are decent- at some booths- and the gem stone beads are too, so don't write off all trade shows. You do have to shop around until you know who all the exhibitors are before buying anything. When you get to know a show, you know who to go to. Get their cards so you can order between shows. If you plan to sell, it is worth getting the tax number or resale license or whatever they call it in your state. It is useful to get into shows and buy from some online places.

I once bought a kilo of really high luster peach pearls and got tired of them before I had used them up. I mean to just knot them up and donate them, but haven't done that either, so be very focused on everything you need to buy to start up an Etsy store and shop small at first.

My recommendation also would be to purchase strands that meet your criteria. Even then, if you are trying to match pairs for earrings, for example, it can be a difficult and time consuming task. Leave the sorting to the pros who have access to many more thousands of pearls.

Not difficult at all to set up an etsy store! There are lots of help guides, and the basic format is easy to navigate. Go for it!

Well if you would want to Buy South Sea , and sell on the etsy.
I recommend you to buy ticket and go to indonesia, you will have a adventure and some crazy nice SS.
But sure they are abit more expansive then FP :D

Anyway , good luck and hope your etsy store will be a success ;)

Thanks. Hey, using my little almost Etsy shop as an excuse to globetrot is a great idea!

Thanks. Hey, using my little almost Etsy shop as an excuse to globetrot is a great idea!

Hah! Great idea! Before I head out on a South Sea vacation, oops, I mean business trip, I'll be sure to open an Etsy shop and will purchase a few pearls to sell while on the trip.

Back