Freshdama vs. Akoya

happy pearl

From and ONLY from the appearance, how does Freshdama differ from Akoya AAA quality? If anyone could share pictures laying the two side by side, it would be highly appreciated. Thanks!

In case you haven't seen this thread:

Thanks, Airdancer. I just realized how late I am in the game. The same subject was discussed years ago. :eek: I will just shut up and read.

Thanks, Airdancer. I just realized how late I am in the game. The same subject was discussed years ago. :eek: I will just shut up and read.

No problem! This site is huge and it's a tall order to read it all. No one minds repeated questions, especially when they can remember the perfect thread to point you to. Try using the search feature, then select a search within pearl-guide. ;)

happy pearl--

Remember that one company's AAA may not be the same as another company's AAA. The AA of one company may be better than the AAA of another company. The grading isn't standardized the way it is for, say, diamonds.

That said, generally the surface luster of the best Akoyas will be greater than that of the best freshwater pearls. Akoya pearls are cultured in colder waters and the nacre is laid down more slowly, resulting in a different, sharper sort of luster than CFWP. But the CFWP are solid nacre, so their luster is deeper.

That is a generalization. There are rare, fancy colored ''exotic'' CFWP that are have a metallic shine to them. But usually their luster is softer.

Hi happy pearl,
I just went through the thread "Show us your pearls" and Caitlin posted some of my pearls on october 28 2007 under "Some of jerin?s pearls". Anyway I found one pic, it has # 9, there some of the necklaces are side by side and there you can see luster and luster differences.

The Freshadama double strand is at the bottom, the triple strand is AAA grade the other double strand is Akoya and the rest I have forgotten, just take a look and maybe you get some of the answers.

Good luck and let us know what you think...

Pearllove also posted a comparison picture of akoya vs freshwater recently. It took me a while to find it as it was posted in February.

https://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2344&page=3

The 6-7 mm freshadama set is photographed next to strand of AAA akoya. The caption does not mention the source but the clasp is unmistakable. The AAA akoya is from American Pearl.

Thank you all for looking for the old posts for me. It is very kind of you.

From the pictures, I really cannot tell the difference between a freshdama and Akoya. I think I am leaning towards getting a freshdama. :)

Jeremy - It seems that you are running out of 9-10mm freshdama set. Will they be available soon? Also, how are the different sizes laid out in a stand? Are they mixed, or are the bigger ones in the middle?

Thanks!

The larger ones have been difficult to keep in stock. We are considering creating the next run from half sizes, either 9 to 9.5 mm or the half-size larger.
The pearls are always knotted with the largest pearls in the center. The smallest pearls would be near the clasp.

Jeremy - Half-size idea sounds great! Please keep me posted when they are available.

Another newbee question: It seems that Freshdama is trade marked by PP. Is it similar to the "collection quality" freshwater at other sites? Which site(s) are offering the best quality fresh pearls?

Last edited:
Back