Your opinion please!

mrsadm

Hello, I am still busy shopping for Akoya blue pearls. I recently bought two necklaces from Pearl Paradise and I'm absolutely in love with them; not just the color but the metallic super-shine also.

Found these online from a seller I don't know anything about - I am considering purchasing two for a pair of stud earrings. Does anyone here think they may be dyed? Could be the light or the photo or my monitor makes them look very blue. Would appreciate your opinion on them!
etsy beadhouse blue pearls.jpg

mrsadm, I would say they are color-treated or very very photoshopped. Unfortunately I wouldn't believe the opposite without a reputable laboratory certificate.

First - the color. It's grey/purple/dark rather than light/mid blue with silver.
Second - the orient. Naturally blue akoya pearls usually shimmer with overtones and these ones look like very solid color.
Third - round smooth natural blue akoya pearls are rare, in general. Most beautiful naturally blue akoya pearls are usually baroque or at least somewhat irregular. Top-quality natural blue madama pearls are smooth, but they are different blue color - lighter, brighter, with lots of life in it.
Fourth - number game. Getting a batch of so similar colored pearls in natural color.. I mean. It's difficult even for big wholesalers.

Of course it's difficult to judge by the photo and would take to examine them with the microscope to conclude definitely, but considering all the mentioned above, I would say the pearls in the photo color-treated rather than natural. Sorry.

They strike me as dyed, and not a pretty color. They don't look blue on my monitor, and they don't have any pretty pink overtones like my naturally colored blues have. They look very grey. I have some dyed "blues" that kind of look like that.

Mrsadm,
These pearls look dyed to me also. Usually for earrings highest quality pearls are chosen. So my recommendation would be to shop with PP for your earring pearls, this way you will have earrings as lovely and lustrous as your akoya necklaces!

p.s. PP may have stock that isn't listed, or will be receiving new Akoyas soon, as they're so popular.

Last edited:
View attachment 66446

these are quite extreme colors for akoyas but is easy to see there is always more then one tone instead of the egal colors in the picture you posted so or a lower grade or dyed indeed

View attachment 66447

I see your point "there is always more then one tone" - uniformity of color over a whole pearl (may) indicate it is dyed - but how far does that rule go - say, only to akoyas and tahitians, or perhaps all pearls?

Thank you Bweaves, Laguna, Patty and Daniel,
I am SO thankful for your expert advice! I will pass on these and continue to learn more here at PG.
Linda

Back