Your opinion on this pearl strand

Tufi

Hi everyone!
I'd like to hear your thoughts about these tahitian pearls I'm considering purchasing.
They look pretty authentic and not dyed to me, but you guys certainly have a deeper knowledge than me!
Also, how much do you think these may be worth? Not precisely, just a rough idea :). I'm not writing the price here yet, because I don't want to influence your judgement.

Thank you guys!

IMG_20240403_125841.jpg

They are Tahitians, yes.

I have to ask: what exactly appeals to you about these pearls? Put aside whatever the price is for now (a bargain is not a bargain if you don't love the pearls), and just ask yourself what you like about the pearls themselves.
Your own opinion is the one that matters. You'll be the one wearing them.

Consider:
shapes
blemishes
matching
luster
body color/overtones, or lack of them
size

They are Tahitians, yes.

I have to ask: what exactly appeals to you about these pearls? Put aside whatever the price is for now (a bargain is not a bargain if you don't love the pearls), and just ask yourself what you like about the pearls themselves.

Consider:
shapes
blemishes
matching
luster
size
Do they look this bad? 😬 I know you haven't said so, but it's what I'm getting 😭

I like the fact that they don't all have the same color, some have overtones of green. I also think they have some luster. They're not excessively big (12-16mm), and I like that. I know there are a few blemishes, especially those rings, but at the same time I think the rings give some character to them. 😬

I like rings! Rings per se don't count as blemishes, but there can be blemishes inside the rings (pits, for example) or low luster bands as in the 2nd and 12th pearls down from the right side) The 6th pearl down on the left side has some issues.

I also like multicolored strands and strands with multicolored overtones, but the overtones are very minimal in this strand. No problem with that if that is what you prefer. Some things are purely a matter of taste.

I like baroque shapes, but I don't like the shapes of the center 2 pearls and don't feel they match the rest of the strand well. However, again, that is a matter of taste. You may love those shapes, and that is ok.

You note "some luster." It's good that you recognize that they don't have a lot of luster. Undoubtedly this fact contributes to what I assume is an attractive price, given the larger size of the necklace. My biggest concern is that the center 2 pearls are particularly low in luster, and being also larger and lighter in color, these will draw the eye and create the overall impression of a lower luster strand. In addition the darker pearl to the left of center has a low luster band that stands out against the dark color of the pearl.

Personally I find that this strand doesn't have a lot of charm going for it to counteract the negatives. I would suggest saving up for a better strand; otherwise, this may end up being the one that you want to replace someday. (Been there, done that, and I rarely wear those pearls.)

However, if you really love it, nothing else matters.
But please string this yourself-- the sizes are not arranged well.

I like rings! Rings per se don't count as blemishes, but there can be blemishes inside the rings (pits, for example) or low luster bands as in the 2nd and 12th pearls down from the right side) The 6th pearl down on the left side has some issues.

I also like multicolored strands and strands with multicolored overtones, but the overtones are very minimal in this strand. No problem with that if that is what you prefer. Some things are purely a matter of taste.

I like baroque shapes, but I don't like the shapes of the center 2 pearls and don't feel they match the rest of the strand well. However, again, that is a matter of taste. You may love those shapes, and that is ok.

You note "some luster." It's good that you recognize that they don't have a lot of luster. Undoubtedly this fact contributes to what I assume is an attractive price, given the larger size of the necklace. My biggest concern is that the center 2 pearls are particularly low in luster, and being also larger and lighter in color, these will draw the eye and create the overall impression of a lower luster strand. In addition the darker pearl to the left of center has a low luster band that stands out against the dark color of the pearl.

Personally I find that this strand doesn't have a lot of charm going for it to counteract the negatives. I would suggest saving up for a better strand; otherwise, this may end up being the one that you want to replace someday. (Been there, done that, and I rarely wear those pearls.)

Thank you so much for this great comment! 🤩 And I agree with everything you said!
To be honest, I didn't like all the pearls... Some, I find nice; others not that much. And the ones that you mentioned are exactly the ones I don't like - especially those in the center.

I will listen to your advice, and I'll pass on this one. It makes no sense to buy a strand of pearls if I don't like them all, or at least the majority! By the way, these are sold at around $300. So I will definitely save up for better ones. Thanks so much for your comment, it really helped! 😃

Last edited:
In that case I think you are right to pass on them.

Keep looking, keep building your Tahitian pearls fund and someday you will find a strand that checks all the boxes, at a price you will be able and willing to pay.

Pearl Dreams: you always give such good advice; straightforward, honest, without being harsh.

Thank you so much for this great comment! 🤩 And I agree with everything you said!
To be honest, I didn't like all the pearls... Some, I find nice; others not that much. And the ones that you mentioned are exactly the ones I don't like - especially those in the center.

I will listen to your advice, and I'll pass on this one. It makes no sense to buy a strand of pearls if I don't like them all, or at least the majority! By the way, these are sold at around $300. So I will definitely save up for better ones. Thanks so much for your comment, it really helped! 😃
For $300 you should be able to get a much nicer strand, even with today's silly Tahitian prices. (and, as you seem to be implying that that is a generic photo and therefore presumably the pick of the lot, what would your $300 deliver?)

I've wasted a lot of money in the early days buying strands that wasn't what I really wanted but cost less. I wish I had waited and pooled that money. And I still have the pull at anything, not just pearls, to buy something because it is a good deal. It isn't if you don't use it. Great that you asked!

Tufi, you've gotten some honest and wonderful advice :) Cultivate your pearl interest (it's so easy here lol), save a bit more, and keep looking ... you aren't that far from a much nicer strand!

They are Tahitians, yes.

Consider:
shapes
blemishes
matching
luster
size
::applause:: ::applause:: Claps and flowers for the wisdom of this response!

Back