Your Expertise and assistance would be greatly appreciated in confirming these pearls

fleeabel

Hello, everybody. New to the forum. I would greatly appreciate any confirmation as to the identity of these pearls I acquired for my loving and devoted wife, Carol. She loves these pearls more than her traditional Mikimoto set. We are always fascinated by the beauty of these pearls, which I acquired for a little of nothing (400.00 US). I believe these are Mikimoto Silver Grey Tahitians circa 1960's. The Clasp is 10K white gold with the "M" Hallmark. Studying the Company's history, I also believe that this clasp was one that was utilized for that time period. The Pearls are approximately 8-9mm each. Apparently, from the writing inside the case, it seems that they were purchased at the Lane Crawford's in Hong Kong. If anybody has an idea as to their value, that information would be very appreciated as well. Thanks to all and we do sincerely appreciate your time and assistance. Cheers. vcm_s_kf_m160_64x58.jpgvcm_s_kf_repr_64x55.jpgvcm_s_kf_repr_64x48.jpgvcm_s_kf_repr_64x46.jpg

Attachments

• vcm_s_kf_repr_64x49.jpg
    vcm_s_kf_repr_64x49.jpg
    1.7 KB · Views: 37
  • vcm_s_kf_repr_64x24.jpg
    vcm_s_kf_repr_64x24.jpg
    1.2 KB · Views: 42
Hi fleeabel,

Your photos came out very small. Can you try posting larger photos?

Revision to a Previously Submitted Post

Revision to a Previously Submitted Post

Hello, everybody. This update has been long overdue (with better pictures), but here it is. We would greatly appreciate any confirmation as to the identity of these pearls I acquired for my loving and devoted wife, Carol. She loves these pearls more than her traditional Mikimoto set. We are always fascinated by the beauty of these pearls. I believe these to be Mikimoto Silver Grey Tahitians circa 1960's. The Clasp is 10K white gold with the "M" Hallmark. Studying the Company's history, I also believe that this clasp was one that was utilized for that time period. The Pearls are approximately 8-9mm each. Apparently, from the writing inside the case, it seems that they were purchased at the Lane Crawford's in Hong Kong. If anybody has any leads as to their veracity that information would be very much appreciated. Thanks to all of you for having this most informative forum. We do sincerely appreciate your time and assistance. Thank You, Carol and Floyd Abel

View attachment DSC00831.pdfView attachment DSC00833.pdfView attachment DSC00834.pdfView attachment DSC00836.pdf

fleeabel,

I think folks might be reluctant to download your pdf files in order to see your photos.

Please try uploading the photos directly to the forum. Try sizing them 800x600 at most (large photos may not upload) and use the photo icon in the toolbar to upload them one at a time.

If you are uploading from a phone you need to be on the desktop version rather than the mobile version of the forum. If uploading from a computer it's easy.

Also, if you send them to Mikimoto they should be able to authenticate them for you, if all else fails.

Last edited:
Did you buy these on the secondary market? I have to wonder if this was created with different pearls originally , then restrung with these with this clasp. The clasp pearl doesn’t match in color, size or quality. Do you have any original paperwork with the pearls/ box?

Last edited:
Hey,everybody. This is my very first time in a forum. Thank you so much for your comments LFS and Katbran! I'm excited. OK a little more background. But first question. If they shimmer like peacocks are they still akoyas? Because they are quite beautiful when they shimmer they rainbow. And Katbran, your right. They don't quite look the quality of mikis do they?Plus I get mixed signals from Mikimoto about the clasp. Some say noway 10k and others say possible. I bought them in washington state out of a small boutique. The Gent only wanted $400 so i felt between my teeth and knew they were real. So it seems the mystery deepens......

Thank you, Octavia's Mom. I do really appreciate the photographs displayed like you did.

Natural color akoyas (that have not been bleached) can have subtle overtones-- pink, for example.

Edited to add: It's the color that's natural, not the pearls. The pearls are cultured.

Last edited:
I am no expert. But I inherited quite a few blue Akoya necklaces and one silver/ from my aunt. I believe they are all natural color. They were acquired in the late 50's and 60's and they all have that same type of clasp. The grey strand was restrung it with Tahitians and I took the opportunity to take a pic of the drill hole when restringing and I did not see any evidence of it being dyed. The nucleus is light colored, no dye concentration that I can see. So I believe it is very possible that your lovely necklace is composed of natural grey Akoya pearls which will shimmer with tones of pink, blue, green and pink in different light. Here is the pic of a pearl from my strand and the completed strand.

IMG_0954 (1).jpg

IMG_1670 (1).jpg

No expert either, the safety chain looks new/later addition. As LFS says, could be a different strand to the original.
Either way, grey Akoyas are lovely, I have a strand myself that shimmers in all lights and can quite understand why your wife loves them. Enjoy!

Back