Mikimoto pearl strand

lemur

Hello all,

Thank you, thank you, thank you for this incredible site. For someone who knows absolutely NOTHING about pearls, the information to be found here, coupled with the detailed explanations offered by all members, is truly fantastic. :)

OK, on to what brings me to this fine corner of cyberspace: I've inherited what I think is a Mikimoto pearl strand, 16 inches, 54 pearls, circa late 50's, early 60's (I think). The clasp is gold (14k) with a small pearl attached to the front and an "M" inside a clamshell stamped to the back. I believe that's the hallmark of Mikimoto, right?

The pearls themselves (I will post pictures this afternoon, I promise) are quite bland. They don't look particularly shiny, nor do they seem to exhibit (to my untrained eye, anyway) any deep color. Furthermore, I can see what looks to be a ball (albeit a shiny ball) inside each pearl. Rather like two spheres, one nested inside the other.

Soooooo...my lifetime's accumulation of pearl knowledge (that which has been gathered over the last 30 hours) tells me that Mikimoto is a "big name", overpriced, pearl designer whose older products have value not so much for the quality of the pearls, but for the very fact they they come from Mikimoto, right?

As I don't have any real use for this necklace, I think I'd be interested in selling it. I have no idea of the value, nor for that matter, if it's even something that anyone would be interested in having. I showed it to a gemologist at the local pawn shop (yes, I can hear the chorus of groans coming from the board members!), and he said, "don't ask for more than $50."

I also have a pair of earings with an "M" stamped into the silver (?) base which attaches to the pearl. They're not for pierced ears, but rather the type that pinches to the ear via a screw.

I know there's not much that can be gleaned from my ramblings, especially without pictures, but I would appreciate whatever thoughts some of you might have. Pictures coming, I promise.:)

Mike

P.S. As you can see, I've added a picture. I know it's terrible. I haven't figured out how to make a crisp, close-up photo without it getting blurry. I'll work on it. Both pieces, I've since learned, are pre-1950 (or so I'm told). These pictures were taken indoors under artificial light.

Attachments

• pearl2.jpg
    pearl2.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 46
  • pearl1.jpg
    pearl1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 52
  • pearl3.jpg
    pearl3.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 47
  • pearl4.jpg
    pearl4.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
lemur,

My opinion is that most Mikis are way overpriced and overvalued but that is just my opinon. There are many Miki collectors out there, especially on ebay. They get good prices for Mikis. Take the best photos you can. For the most part let the photos speak for themselves. For goodness don't run them down unless they have really been through the mills and list them on ebay.

First it might be a good idea to post a couple or more photos of them here so that all can give you there honest opinions of the quality and grades. Even Mikis have different quality and grades and various prices for each. But Miki collectors can go mad just to own a necklace or necklaces etc. Myself I have one necklace and I think it is not bad but I have better Akoyas and Mikis are just fancy Akoyas in my opinion but with a Big Brand Name behind them.

Give us some photos so we can advise. Do not sell them for $50 to a rip off merchant. There are probably Miki collectors here perusing the sites so you never know you might get an offer if you photos are good, macro (close up, but not blurred) and honest. Even a mediocre Miki strand would have to reach over $200US.

Give us those photos. We all lust after photos. :)

Bodecia

lemur,

My opinion is that most Mikis are way overpriced and overvalued but that is just my opinon. There are many Miki collectors out there, especially on ebay. They get good prices for Mikis. Take the best photos you can. For the most part let the photos speak for themselves. For goodness don't run them down unless they have really been through the mills and list them on ebay.

First it might be a good idea to post a couple or more photos of them here so that all can give you there honest opinions of the quality and grades. Even Mikis have different quality and grades and various prices for each. But Miki collectors can go mad just to own a necklace or necklaces etc. Myself I have one necklace and I think it is not bad but I have better Akoyas and Mikis are just fancy Akoyas in my opinion but with a Big Brand Name behind them.

Give us some photos so we can advise. Do not sell them for $50 to a rip off merchant. There are probably Miki collectors here perusing the sites so you never know you might get an offer if you photos are good, macro (close up, but not blurred) and honest. Even a mediocre Miki strand would have to reach over $200US.

Give us those photos. We all lust after photos. :)

Bodecia

Hi,

The above writer points out how over-priced Mikimoto pearls can be. In today's New York Times on page 2, (March 9, 2008) Mikimoto is selling a strand of South Sea Cultured for $1,600,000. Given the availability of perfect South Sea pearls, which could reasonably sell without a name brand for $125,000, the huge gap represents the premium for the name.

Tom Stern,MD

the huge gap represents the premium for the name.

Yes. Over here we call it Mystique (only genuine with the capitol M)

That is why Mikimoto pearls do not fetch much without the clasp, the box and a certicate. That is what you actually pay for, the clasp, the box and the certicate. the pearls don't mean much in the end.

Back