Yokota Pearls

Yes. There is a company that operates under the name Hanadama. They are a wholesale company dealing in South Sea pearls. Hanadama did start out as a proper Japanese word and still is a proper Japanese word.

I wish to point out that I have been correct this entire thread in saying Hanadamas are the highest of the high grade. I have not been correct in every detail, but I accept and incorporate the corrections, ie the thickness for a hanadama grade.

I am correct in criticizing Yokota's use of the word for less than AAA. Even if the lab will cert lower grade pearls, it does not meet the industry standard to do so.

And anyone who questions Elisabeth Strack's definition of hanadama is blowing in the wind. She is a UNIVERSALLY accepted expert. There is no one with a broader grasp of pearls than Strack. I have found her to be off in some details, like Robert Wan having the PoA, when he only has a ceramic copy of it, but that is such a detail...... She is the Encyclopedia of Pearls and should be the final word.

Everyone's' speculations about Yokota using other grades is just plain wrong. He apparently will rank a strand within the grade as AA1, AAA5, or whatever, but that is his own sub-ranking and not mentioned by Miki or anyone else.

And he does not define it in his info pages. As a buyer, I would skip him, he costs too much and he is willing to bend the hanadama grade for profit and his info pages are full of misleading statements. When asked to check out pages for someone, we look at the info pages as well as the prices and the photos.

Here is why I do not like akoyas. A 9mm akoya can get hanadama grade with.4mm of nacre, while a 9mm Tahitian has a minimum of .8mm, whatever the grade. That is why I do not like akoyas. In the 30's akoyas often had .6 or more of nacre, but the shorter time in the oyster makes for rounder pearls for profits, not a better pearl. That is why I do not like akoyas.

Granted, they have that ball bearing luster and it is fantastic for people to buy them as they are beautiful, but these are not the pearls to wear everyday; they are the pearls that should stay in the box, except for grand occasions.

I think SS pearls also have at least .8mm of nacre. Correct me if I am wrong.

So if you want an overpriced AA handama, then buy from Yokota. I think you an do a lot better in price for the same grade, elsewhere.

I believe the subject of this thread made most old timers (except strong debaters) avoid it completely, knowing what storms always arise when some anon poster comes on and asks about hanadamas. LOL!

I think the shilling has already begun and I will not be so patient with the next name caller.

If he had called any other member names like he called me I would have cut him off, right there, because that is a serious offense and we do not tolerate it. We edit those threads so later readers can get the debate, but do not see name calling- which has happened less than a dozen times so far. And name calling has never furthered any discussion! LOL

The anon hanadama debaters are always rude and call people names. What a limp way to argue. LOL!

Watch out for the next anon person who acts like they know pearls, then asks a handama question. Then enjoy the fireworks! LOL!!! As Jeremy says, it is coming, because it has happened a few times, before.

And I am ready. (now you can LOL!) but I am. This thread has really honed my knowledge about fake hanadama sellers. AA handamas are fakes, imo, no matter what a lab says.

Well, the one about being paranoid and a john Bircher is still there and it is definitely outside legal debate parameters. Discussing what someone projects is my state of mind is- in a negative way- is unfair and sidetracks the real issue, which is our opinion on that website and what it has to say.

Actually, I am a member of a political website where members pound each other all the time and name call and disregard all logic and project others' motives and feelings to put them in a bad light. I actually enjoy provoking such types and never get upset, it just gets my juices flowing. I love a good debate.

However, this forum is not like that and attacking people's presumed state of mind, is off limits. If he said any of that to anyone else here, I would have stopped it immediately. We have an unused system built into the forum software, that can give infractions- being rude to other members is one of the default choices. In this case, I think an infraction could be used, for the first time, ever.

Although I am usually wary of people who have been rude to other members, and I can name several but I won't, I lighten up as fast as I get heavy. I don't get upset. Just the opposite, I get all excited and happy to have an exchange of contrary opinions. Within the limits of polite debate, of course.

Caitlin, you are indeed a brave woman if you are a member of a political website. I stay as far away from that as I can. Believe me, I have VERY definite political opinions, but I do keep them to myself and only make them known with my vote. As for this thread, I had great fun with you. Admittedly, I am a novice at these types of forums and didn't realize on one of my posts on this thread that I was bypassing you. But you pointed it out, I realized the way of things, and we got on. I'm a slow learner, but I do learn. But when it comes to name calling...it is not something I do IRL (well maybe to rude drivers), and it is commendable that it is not tolerated here either. I have always found this forum friendly and fun, with some really nice people...like me....;)

I have found this thread very informative and interesting. I'm one of the purist who would not buy an traditional akoya strand because of the belaching and pinking and thin nacra - handama or not. This thread only confirms my choice. Pure white doesn't suit me anyway. But without the knowledge I already had from PG about akoyas I wouldn't have bought, nor appriciated, the creme vintage akoyas from Sarah (Kojima Pearls) as much as I do :)

- Karin

I don't own any Akoya pearls and if the point of the thread is to promote them it is making me staying away from them, even PP's.

For making a brilliant impression in an evening setting, when lots of diamonds are not needed, nothing beat akoyas for POW!!!

Just take care of them properly and don't wear them every day while you sweat, as you can wear freshwaters and even Tahitians for swimming and wearing shorts.

If you want the look, nothing beats akoyas!

Just buy from someone you trust to describe the quality properly and not to overcharge for the quality. Yakota scores well, on the former, not so much on the latter.

That's why I asked about this here. It seemed weird that Yokota was selling some jawdroper strands (his best of AAA) at prices 2-3x what his "hanadama" strands went for, and then there were AA strands where you could get a Hanadama cert for an optional $75. I had always thought that Hanadama were the best, and that was that. Sort of like a D/IF diamond, now its clear that Hanadama means something more like G/VVS2 or better, and its possible to do alot better, if your willing to pay.

Last edited by a moderator:
Other labs may certify Hanadama strands, and they may do so correctly according to the parameters, but Japan Pearl Science Laboratory is recognized as definitive.

My earrings from PP are certified Hanadamas and they are 0.4 mm. My necklace from PP is 0.55 mm. Hanadama certification requires a minimum of 0.4 mm thickness. That is a fact. :)

I am a newbie here and just received my Akoya 8/8. mm Natural White Hanadama necklace and earrings from Pearl Paradise last week!

I find it quite odd that my earrings are 0.4 and my necklace is 0.55! EXACTLY the same as yours.

That's funny! :D They do vary, but earrings usually get less surface wear, so maybe that is why they are thinner. I'll bet you love the set just as much as I do mine. :cool:

That's funny! :D They do vary, but earrings usually get less surface wear, so maybe that is why they are thinner. I'll bet you love the set just as much as I do mine. :cool:

Thanks GemGeek, yes I thought of that! The pearls would get a lot more wear than the ear rings so the thicker nacker would be a good thing. The Natural White Akoya Hanadamas are 'knock your shoes off' gorgeous. The size of my pearls are 8/8.5 not 8/8 like I said in my post. I knew the minute I saw the 'Pearl Paradise Natural Whites' that they were the ones for me, but agonized over the mm size for ages. Hope I got it right because I plan to wear then frequently for dress and casual.

I saw the picture of yours and they are beautiful!

Thanks, Ishta. I hope you will hang around and be a part of our pearl conversations. :)

Ishta -- enjoy and wear your hanadama set in good health! I bought a 26" 9 to 9.5 mm hanadama necklace from PP (.7 mm nacre thickness) but admittedly don't wear it often. It is my necklace for special occasions. It's actually my avatar picture. The photo shows them as ivory -- but they are white with silver/rose overtones ("pinked", not natural white).

Last edited:
Ooooh, 26 inches! That sounds so luxurious. You should wear it more often. :)

:D:D
Ishta -- enjoy and wear your hanadama set in good health! I bought a 26" 9 to 9.5 mm hanadama necklace from PP (.7 mm nacre thickness) but admittedly don't wear it often. It is my necklace for special occasions. It's actually my avatar picture. The photo shows them as ivory -- but they are white with silver/rose overtones ("pinked", not natural white).

Thanks BAS:D WOW 26" would be lovely with so many options of wearing them, and the 9 to 9.5 a fabulous size! I've decided to wear mine casually as well as for special occasions! I remember Tea Leoni's pearls in 'Deep Impact' and she wore them with everything! I watched that movie over and over again just for the pearls!:eek:

Back