Would appreciate your views on which Tahitian pearl ring I should keep?

I've just joined this site, and looks like there are a lot of knowledgeable people on here. I'd be interested to hear your views on which of these 2 rings I've purchased (from a reputable TV jewellery channel) is the better one to keep...

1st ring is darkish grey, 12.5mm, and has a lively nacre - reflections are pretty sharp. However, it has a number of minor blemishes and pits over it, particularly concentrated in one patch.

2nd ring is paler grey with light green undertones, 12mm and has a sleepier / duller nacre. It also has minor pits, but they are much smaller than the other ring and the overall surface is a lot smoother.

Which one to keep? They both cost roughly the same a@ under $200 each,and I have certificates of authenticity for both.

Thanks for any feedback you can offer here! I'd be interested to know which of them would be considered the more valuable, if that's easy to determine...

Attachments

• photo (3).jpg
    photo (3).jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 29
  • photo (4).jpg
    photo (4).jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 31
  • photo (5).jpg
    photo (5).jpg
    30 KB · Views: 32
Based on the photos, for colour alone I prefer the darker grey ring. However, the blemishes on the pearl put me off big time.

I prefer the setting of the smaller pearl ring, and on balance, that's the one I am likely to keep.

DK :)

Th smaller one looks better overall; the setting seems to fit it better.

I would select the smaller one also. If you do like the style of the larger ring you could order again and keep this one until the other arrives to inspect. Many times ladies complain they just get the same ring if they return and reorder. It's too bad they decided to install such a shabby pearl in the setting in the first place.

Thanks for your collective feedback here; very helpful. So it sounds like the quality of the pearl surface (extent of blemishes and pitting) is of primary importance, and seems to override the colour and lustre aspects of the pearl.

I'd be interested to know if you'd consider pitting and blemishes on a pearl to be of primary consideration when valuing pearls in general (and of greater importance than the pearl's colour and lustre), or is it just in this specific case?

To Lilliefuzzysocks - Agreed - and in fact this exact scenario occured to me - I returned the grey ring for another one, and received it back again! And in the meantime they'd run out of ones in my size... Grrr!

Last edited:
I am no expert but I'm not sure I think that way, as far as which matters more, blemishes, luster, color, size, etc. To me, it's more overall, does it wow me or doesn't it regardless of which particular factors that piece is stronger or weaker in or what it cost. I wouldn't worry about value because in Tahitian pearl rings under $200 each, resale value is probably going to be about the same amount on either. I would just look at them on your hand and go with how you feel. If it's "wow!," keep it. If it's "meh," send it back. I've gotten some deals on the home shopping clearances that I was very pleased with and sent even more of them back. Let us know what you do!

Last edited:
I also think the smaller pearl is better overall. Other than the obvious cleaner surface, I actually like the color better too. About the luster, from the pictures you provided, both pearls look similar to me. The smaller seems to have softer luster, but I don't think that necessarily means that it's worse (luster-wise). I don't know much about Tahitian pearl though, so that's just my personal assessment.

I consider luster to be the most important, but blemishes would be a big factor as well. Most likely I would prefer a pearl with stunning luster but with light blemishes than clean pearl with good (but lower) luster. However, if the blemishes are too much that it's distracting, I would pass on it. But that's my preference, others would probably think different.

A few blemishes mean the pearl is real..and they don't really show up unless whoever is looking at the ring is remarkably close to your hand , while lustre is visible from the other side of the room. Would you PM me which jewellery channel (just curious)

As for the style of the highly pitted pearl ring. Do they have the ring in a larger size? It's always cheaper to size down a ring than to size up. Just another option if you like the style of the other ring better.

By the way, if you order a larger size I reccomend this cheap alternative to sizing rings. I recently purchased a pearl ring and am doing this to fit my finger. It's invisible once the ring is on the hand.
Caption

Last edited:
Pattye, I have changed a size 7 to a 6, but could have gone more than one size.
New & Improved Ring Guard : Solves the annoying problem of rings that slip, slide, twist or just fall off your finger. Works on all sizes of rings. Can also be used on clip earrings to ease pinching. The product is applied to the inside of the band. The solution dries to a solid white soft plastic. You now have a secure fitting ring with no visible plastic or metal showing on the outer surface of the band. To remove Ring Guard Solution just peel off! Ring Guard Solution can also be applied to the pad of clip earrings to add comfort, prevent slipping and to ease pinching in place of using slip pads or adhesive foam pads. One tube contains 7.5 grams which is more than adequate for a number of rings (approximately 5 dozen plus) or rings and clip earrings. * Easy to use! * Works on all sizes of rings! * Nothing shows on the outside of ring! * Provides a secure and comfortable fit! * Solution is white! * Ring Guard Solution dries to a white soft plastic! * Join two rings together! * Last for months! * Bath, shower, wash dishes, swim etc.! * Makes a unique gift http://www.fdjtool.com/ProductInfo/RG112.aspx

LFS to the rescue! Now, if only there was something to apply to make the ring larger for my fat fingers... :)

Back