Wish me luck!

BrianWanes

A lady friend got a little too grabby with my jewels last night, and she went and broke my 100" freshwater rope! I'm well on my way to repairing the damage, and it's definitely a labor of love that needed to happen anyway, but I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little intimidated by the job 😅 pray for me, y'all!

20200224_154245.jpg

Ugh! All that work...!

Do consider giving Serafil or Beaders Secret a try. Even if a knot ends up in the wrong place, you can get it to slide into the right position easily by just pulling the doubled threads apart, which doesn't work with silk.

Last edited:
This gives you an excuse to try Beader's Secret. I agree.

Beader's secret is definitely on my list. I do feel it's still important for me to gain proficiency in working with silk. I recently had a tentative job offer from some friends at a local jeweler- their resident pearl-stringer will be retiring in a number of months, and there's a chance I'd be able to take over the job, assuming I can build the skill and a portfolio to demonstrate my ability. The current person in their employ works exclusively in silk, and that seems to be what most of their customers prefer, or at least expect.

Good luck with the rope, you will get lots of practice on that one.

Hi Brian, I hope the project is going well!!!

All finished! A couple of days ago, actually, aaaand shame on me for not posting an update. Forgive the less than classy background, if you will. It's amazing to me how much of a change a little bath and a restringing can make- these little guys are GLEAMING now!20200228_171220.jpg
20200228_171153.jpg
Thanks to everyone for the encouragement and moral support!

Back