Why Do Cultured Pearls Have Tails

Bodecia

Pearl Designer & Collector
Hi all,

Why is it that if a pearl has a tail it is immediately identified as a cultured pearl?

My thoughts might well be totally wrong :) I think that maybe the technician might be a little bit clumsy and damage or nick the oyster/mollosk when inserting the bead causing a flow on effect of the nacre.

Many times Akoya pearls with tails are sold (on eBay) as Akoya pearls with Keshi tails. Would this be a correct assessment of them or is there a totally different reason for the tails on some cultured pearls. I have seen some enormous tails on pearls, specifically on baroque pearls and will include a photo of huge tails for reference although many are not as blatant as this. I have often bought one or two pearls because they are great to design with, especially as a centre piece.

Thanks Bodecia.

Attachments

• baroque pearls with tails.jpg
    baroque pearls with tails.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 43
Would venture a bit on this one;

THIS THREAD may apply.

Even found an Xray image showing the innards of such a tailed pearl HERE. Pure haphazard!

zucht_1.jpg

Hope this helps ...

I don't think the reason is known but I always assumed it was the pearl and epithelium sack moving within the mullusk and sort of stretching one section of the sack as it moves.

Think of a marble inside a glob of Jelly, if you pushed that marble a little bit across a table, you'd get a "tail" section.

At least thats always how I picture it happening in my mind, someone may have some actual facts on how the form.

They would make nice little drop pearl earrings too.

Bo
Did you make that necklace? It seems like a collier with a wonderful twist, a pseudo-Edwardian style ;). It's quite elegant.

Did you make that necklace? It seems like a collier with a wonderful twist, a pseudo-Edwardian style . It's quite elegant.

Hi Caitlin,

No it is not my necklace. I was tempted to bid but I wouldn't have won it anyway. It went for over $500. Wow. I like it but didn't think it would pull that kind of money.

Bodecia

I quite like the drop pearl. It too seems to be a tailed pearl. I have been fooling around with earrings made from "sort of" drop shapes. I do what I call "semi-match' them, which means they are kind of the same size color and shape.

Now I am looking for baroque pearls with a kind of drop shape in various colors because I think the earrings are rather nice. Since the pearls are usually drilled lengthwise I just insert a head pin from the bottom. I have tried some with a spacer, then the pearl, then other variations of pearls and spacers to finish it off. They make great presents now that all my friends and family expect pearls from me on every suitable occasion! :p

Back