Where/What to Buy in Hawaii??

jmd

[SUP][/SUP]

So have a trip to Oahu planned in the near future, and thinking about the opportunity to make a pearl purchase. I would prefer to buy from a Pearl Market or Pearl Farm where I can see and touch, versus the typical Maui Divers or other tourtist focused jewelers. Anyone know any inside secrets on where to buy on Oahu? I am most likely looking for temporary strands, although finished pieces are also an option. SS or FW equally appealing, rarely see a pearl I can't fall in love with!!

Judy D

Anyone know any inside secrets on where to buy on Oahu?

The secret is, there is no pearl production in Hawaii, no pearl farms, nothing. All the pearls available for sale in Hawaii from imported, mostly from China and French Polynesia(Black Tahitian Pearls).

Not it doesn't mean you can't buy pearls in Hawaii as a way to remember the trip, but keep in mind they are all imported and you're going to pay typical retail prices.

Have fun on your trip, I've heard nothing but good things about Oahu!

Hi Judy -
It looks like Tahiti Pearl Market (also known as Margo, which is apparently what they're now calling their high end line) has moved, though they're still on Kalakaua Ave. in Waikiki. Some of their finished jewelry is quite expensive, but you can get very colorful loose pearls quite inexpensively and have them made into finished jewelry, or just have them drilled and take them with you. I've spent a lot of time digging through bins of pearls at TPM, looking for blues and pinks and other fun Tahitian colors you don't generally see. I'm hoping to make it back to Honolulu this spring, which might include some pearl shopping. ;) Have a great trip!

Le Mana Perles has an office on Bishop Street (downtown, not Waikiki) and also sells at Sam's Club in Honolulu. Don't be fooled -- it's a smaller operation, but I've seen Mana's pearls and they're the real deal. One caveat: he's no longer selling chocolate Tahitians because so many people are unaware that they're dyed. http://www.lemanaperles.com/index.php He also has a significantly larger selection of jewelry than what's shown on the website; I'm just not certain how much custom work he does because of the size of the business.

Also, I live on Oahu. If you have questions I might be able to play virtual tour guide :) Just don't ask me about rental homes or car rentals, I'm too low-class to have any idea.

May not know real estate, but proudly knows the finest in pearls!!! Renna, you are too funny.

Have fun, Judy! :)

Judy, Have a great time! One of our members, Hanaleimom, hasn't posted this month, but is a Tahitian pearl connoisseur and has posted photos in the past of purchases of loose pearls from Margo. So whether you purchase or not, it's great to be able to see good quality pearls in person.

Oh, also, if you're going North Shore, Haleiwa has a couple of pearl places worth looking at. The one in the shopping complex with the Wyland art gallery is nice; I was looking at a pair of round Tahitian studs, a bit over 9mm, for $300, pearl quality is good. They have more freshwater choices there. And further down the road on the right side (you can easily walk from the Wyland gallery complex) are a couple of much smaller places. One in particular stands out, I think it's called the Black Pearl Source? I didn't even ask how much things cost in that one because they were selling the biggest SS and Tahitians I have -ever- seen. Like, bigger than my knuckle big. And there were a lot of them. If you're going that way definitely stop in and look :D

Also, I live on Oahu. If you have questions I might be able to play virtual tour guide :) Just don't ask me about rental homes or car rentals, I'm too low-class to have any idea.

Nothing to do with class or lack of it - you aren't that likely to know about holiday homes and renting cars where you live, as you don't do either!

I have no idea about London hotels, because I've never stayed in one. I sleep at home, instead (-:

Thanks Pattye. Nothing better than a treasure hunt. Can't wait to get my hands in those bins at Margo!!

Great info Wild Onion. I'll be sure to add Margo to the top of my pearl list. Pearls in bins?? Nothing better.

Thanks Renna!! You've saved me a bunch of time on researching pearl farms for sure. I will make it to the North Shore Renna and find the stores you indicated. I've seen a reference or two to pearls in Chinatown, any idea if that's anything other than souvenir prepackaged stuff?

Chinatown is one block west of where I work and it's sketchy. There are jewelry places scattered all through it and you're welcome to look, but I found black pearls in a store that I like very much that were outrageously overpriced. Art Treasure House belongs to a very nice Vietnamese man and as far as I can tell an honest one, but he had two dull, nearly jet-black Tahitians with no overtones to speak of on sale for $600. I haven't been to every corner of Chinatown so by all means poke around, you might get lucky, I just think it's highly unlikely. There's nothing like Margot or Maui Divers or anything like that, the pearls seem to be an afterthought.

Also, if you do want to visit Chinatown, please keep your eyes open. There are many friendly people there but the neighborhood is rough with rampant homelessness and apparently drug dealing, although I haven't seen anything. I've gone in and out plenty of times and am obviously just fine but it's one of the places on the island where you really need to pay attention to your surroundings.

That said, you need to go in at least once and get lunch from Little Village Noodle House. Best Chinese food in Oahu! :3 Just remember that you need to ask for rice if you want it...I think first bowl is free and the second is charged. http://www.littlevillagehawaii.com/

Thanks so much Renna. Not only for the shopping tips but also for the restaurant recommendation. Looking forward to the trip!!

jmd, have you gone to Oahu yet? Check out Margo Pearl/ Tahiti Pearl Market on Kalakaua. I think they are still on 2nd floor of the Waikiki Shopping Plaza. Like others have said they have boxes of pearls in different colors and grades. They are not cheap but not overly expensive if you don't choose extremely large, round ones.

Attachments

• IMG_4604.jpg
    IMG_4604.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_4602.jpg
    IMG_4602.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 48
  • photo-37.jpg
    photo-37.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_5379.jpg
    IMG_5379.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_3620.jpg
    IMG_3620.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 48
Thanks so much Cathy for the pictures. Timing is perfect, I'm in Oahu now. And picking through bins of Tahitians is exactly the kind of adventure I'm looking for. I particularly like the overtone of the two pearls you've pictured on the spool. Love to take a couple of those home with me. Can't wait to get my hands in those bins!!!

I just remember that they also have another location on Kalakaua at the Hyatt.

If you're still in Honolulu, there's an Island Craft Fair (http://www.islandwidecraftexpos.com/spring/index.php) going on at the Blaisdell exhibition hall (on Ward Ave.), and Mark Kaneshiro has a booth with some gorgeous finished jewelry. He has a bunch of faceted Tahitians, which he said are selling really well, and also has more traditional designs. He selects his pearls very carefully, so it's a a great chance to see some colorful pearls. Mostly Tahitian, but also quite a few white and golden South Sea pieces. I just picked up a vibrant green Tahitian pendant to match some earrings I got from Sarah at Kojima. Hope you're having a wonderful stay on Oahu!

Hi Judy! Just joined and saw your message. If you are coming to Oahu in September there is the Douglas Trade Show that's being held on Sept. 12-14. It's a wholesale trade show (mostly jewelry) but you will need a business license to get in. The Sept. show is usually the largest and you'll find lots of vendors selling many different types of pearls. Let me know if you'd like more information on this show. Hope this helps!

Back