Where to sell pearls in New York City area?

BrucePearls

We have inherited far more pearls than one person can wear. Boxes and containers of loose pearls, as well as semi-completed projects and repairs awaiting completion. We need to offer them to a few pearl shops in the NYC area. If you have such a shop, or if you can recommend one, please let me know.

My grandmother worked in the New York jewelry district from some time in the 1940's through the late fifties or early sixties. We've now inherited my grandmother's supply of vintage, quality pearls. The greatest number of pearls we have are loose, in boxes and containers. I think you can see, this is more than can reasonably be photographed. I don't expect there are any synthetic pearls here. My mother discussed with me, the differences between natural and cultured pearls. No mention of synthetic pearls.

I have only one photo at this time. I expect this is by far the most interesting piece in the lot; I'll share it here. I'm a new member of this group so I might not have photo posting privileges quite yet.

The precision of craftsmanship in this necklace is surprising. When I fold the necklace in half, so that the left half covers the right half (or vice versa), the pattern lines up perfectly. The pearls in the inner rows have a smaller diameter than those in the outer rows. Sorry I don't have any measurements, but these are not large - in the neighborhood of 1/8", or 3-4 mm. This piece has 21 rows of pearls. There are 82 and 83 pearls per row for a total of over 1700 pearls in this necklace.
[EDIT] If you look closely, you'll see there is a partial clasp, and only on one side.[/EDIT]

But, as I wrote at the start - we need to sell the entire collection. Most of the pearls are loose in containers, and many are incomplete repair or from-scratch projects.

pearl necklace multi-row.jpg

Last edited:
Where would I auction them?
Suggestions? I'm in CT; the pearls are currently in the NYC area.
I would think it should be a more traditional auction, where buyers can see the lots in person before bidding. But I'd like to see your suggestion.

BrucePearls, welcome!

Wow, clearly you have some interesting pearls! Before you sell anything, I would recommend you find a pearl expert to look over your inheritance and evaluate exactly what you have. IMO it will be worth the fee to know exactly what kind of pearls, the quality; then figure out the best way to sell them. The value could be anything from high to very modest. Pearls have never been more popular! (I wish I lived closer, I would love to have a look at them.)

Are the pearls all round (ish) and white? Any tags or labels? The collar is lovely, but shows little of the quality of the pearls themselves.

I just approved posts #3 and #4.
I am in CT as well. My H has attended auctions to buy machinist tools in our area.... I did not attend with him and don't know if there was jewelry. I'll ask him when he gets home. Edit: link to that auction house in post #8

Pattye is right about having someone look at them. You do want some idea of their value. Where you would auction them would depend on their value.

Last edited:
Thank you.

How about dealers in the NYC jewelry district? Not necessarily the street level ones, though some of them may be interested. I know there must be some businesses in the upper floors dealing exclusively in pearls, and in the work of stringing and restringing.

I doubt you'd get a whole lot for anything selling to a jewelry store. You really need to know what you have or you may get ripped off. I browse on ebay a lot for vintage findings and there are some sellers that consistently get more for their items because they have a good seller's reputation in fine jewelry. I would look into one of them to see how much they want as a commission to sell your items. I would not sell as a bulk deal unless you are needing the cash quickly.

Not sure if it is possible, but I think you should try to take some more pics with a cross section of some of the pearl pieces.

If there are different varieties of pieces as you say more pictures might give some of the more seasoned people an idea of what you actually have. Nothing is ever really certain from pictures but folks here are pretty accurate and it might help prevent you from wasting your time or worse wasting/losing money.

***Plus I am curious :)

Back