Where to purchase wholesale Akoya round Pearls at least AA+

Yuck. I hope these posts stop soon. The whole thing is gross, and I do doubt the integrity of any person or company that participates in this. The biohazards filling landfills from the discarded refuse alone is enough to give one pause, not to mention the environmental impact from producing these monstrosities, the potential health hazard to those who handle them (absorbing the chemicals transdermally or through inhaling the fumes), and the scams perpetrated on unsuspecting customers. Honestly, who in their right mind would want to do this unless there was a quick and shady buck to be made? Is this the new "make $1000/week in the comfort of your own home" scam?

If there's a vote to block these posts, I'd vote yes.

That's exactly what it is.
There was a guy the other night I watched who sold 5 for 100 dollars with out jewelry. If you think about it most of those cost ... around 5 dollars a piece. I don't know anything about what they cost from the company but say they are around 5 dollars. He sold 128 oysters that night alone, did it again the next night (I know cause its like a bad car wreck I have to watch and he brags about his sales). Even with out jewelry and with 50% or what ever commission they get.. It's got to be a stupid amount of money on something worth almost nothing.

I don't know anything about what they cost from the company

They retail for $1.00 to $1.50 for rice pearls and $2.00 to $2.50 for round. When one considers the cost of growing an oyster in a hatchery and the labor to stuff a pearl into it then packaging, the pearl itself is mere pennies.

This is why the appraisals they're instructed to quote are fraudulent. The value sheet ranges from $45 to $60 apiece. One can insure any item for any value provided they pay the appropriate premium, but when it comes time to collect in the event of a loss they'd only get the real value... pennies.

Last edited:
And I am skeptical of the "sales" these people claim to have...I just cannot imagine there are that many people falling for this...sounds too good to be true. Especially when you can get a strand of lovely freshwater pearls for around $350, why on earth would you pay $20 a pearl for crap. Five minutes of research will tell you that's no bargain.

They retail for $1.00 to $1.50 for rice pearls and $2.00 to $2.50 for round. When one considers the cost of growing an oyster in a hatchery and the labor to stuff a pearl into it then packaging, the pearl itself is mere pennies.

This is why the appraisals they're instructed to quote are fraudulent. The value sheet ranges from $45 to $60 apiece. One can insure any item for any value provided they pay the appropriate premium, but when it comes time to collect in the event of a loss they'd only get the real value... pennies.

I wasn't talking about the pearls themselves. I was talking about the cost of the stupid oysters they use for these parties and what the average mlm company is charging vs the companies you find online are charging. They seem to charge 5 ish dollars an oyster for the pearl parties to the people doing it and then they turn around and mark them up to 25 for 1 or 5 for 100 dollars is what I have seen.
The appraisals are so much bull crap I can't even, they all think a pearls value is on size and color alone. I explained there are far more things to be looked at than color and size. I got chewed on for explaining that the black pearls were neither real nor rare. Apparently even with links to proof those black freshwater pearls are 100% real and any real jewel appraiser will tell me that. I just left.

Last edited:
And I am skeptical of the "sales" these people claim to have...I just cannot imagine there are that many people falling for this...sounds too good to be true. Especially when you can get a strand of lovely freshwater pearls for around $350, why on earth would you pay $20 a pearl for crap. Five minutes of research will tell you that's no bargain.

I have watched many people try to explain this - as I have tried to explain it myself. They don't care. They actually say we are just "haters" and that we need to do our research. Most of them I have seen go on for 3 hours average and are constantly opening oysters for people who have paid. I wish this wasn't true but they are literally pumping these things out. I can't tell you how many of my friends I have talked out of participating because they don't get why it's shady before I thoroughly explain everything.
I know I stopped watching one while trying to politely explain to people what was happening was wrong and he opened over 25 while I was there alone and was on for about 3 1/2 hours total. I was there for less than an hour. Some of them draw over 700-800 people watching and one lady had over 1000 one night. It's insane. It's literally insane.

Last edited:
I kind of want to make a youtube video about this and just spread it everywhere

Whew, Pearlescence how true... a vast amount of people don't care or want to hear the truth.

It's literally amazing. I was happy to see one night at least ONE other person was from here was also trying to spread information and linking this forum as well. That was good to see. Unfortunately they grab pitchforks and block the people after being horrible to them that try to explain. Some of the responses I have seen to the truth of the matter are.. completely astonishing to say the least.
I still think my favorite is the one I mentioned where the lady said certified jewelers would stand behind what they said and the sales just kept coming in. I am waiting for one of them to take their pearl to one of those jewelers and get told.. ya this is plated and this pearl is a freshwater .. soooo.. 99 cents? The only reason I worry about a youtube video or something like that is getting sued. I can't afford to be sued hahah

You've been willing to educate yourself with an open mind, Shiby ... even after you found what you were told to believe was wrong. I commend you for that ... glad you stayed ... the truth here leads to real beauty :)

Missed this post during holiday.
I have not seen live akoya oyster , but I have tried the live freshwater mussel opening service.

Here is the experience:Last November, during one trip, I was stranded in Singapore Changi Airport, 6 hours waiting... I was bored to death in the lounge so I hopped on some online shopping websites.
There are hundreds of freshwater pearl retailers on the Chinese websites TAOBAO and ALIexpress, etc. I was amazed that there were also live fresh water pearl mussels for sale. It's impossible to buy those live mussels and ship to my place, so I contacted the seller and asked if he could pick a mussel and open it for me and post whatever the pearls in the mussel to my postal address. The seller was nice ,he agreed to open it after he had dinner.
The whole opening process was through video chat.
He meatured the size of the mussel first. Live mussels in different size are sold in different price. The one I bought fell in the category of 22-23cm, large one, 18 USD(postage not-included)
He then opened the mussel with knife, and pulled(squeezed) out some pearls from the tissue.
The pearls were all peach.
He washed them with salt and some powder, couldnt tell what kind of powder was,maybe baking soda?
Dried the pearls and put them on a piece of cloth to give a close look, meatured those pearls.
He posted the pearls to me.
The service is great.

Here are the pearls from that mussel.
I threw 3 pearls which looked bad away and kept the rest.
The rounds are about 12.5mm, some circled ones, some buttons, and two drops,
Set three pearls already, one small drop was given to a friend, one round and one drop set on two other brooches are still with me.

IMG_0219.jpg

Last edited:
... and I happened upon one that has now gotten my personal attention toady.

http://www.paradisepearls.org/

It's the same freshwater in an akoya game on Facebook. They happened to tag OUR Facebook page on one of their posts. It was either a dumb mistake or the insinuation we were somehow one and the same.

Don't you have to sue them for brand infringement?

I don't have to take it that far and waste that sort of money, although I did send the owner - Kelly Essien - a strongly worded letter today. I've asked her to change the name and not to link to our Facebook page from her posts.

If she doesn't change the name, Google has a program I've used quite a lot with companies from China that typically steal code and photos. Google removes the website completely from its search results. That means you can't even go to Google and find the company by typing the name in. I would go after the website and the Facebook page.

I can also file the complaint with Facebook, but in my experience they aren't very responsive.

Did you notice the tricky copyrighted language on their front page?

All the oysters sold on this site are Akoya Oyster Pearls
©.

Not "akoya pearls" but "akoya oyster pearls". The word "akoya" modifies the word "oyster", not the word "pearls".

Pearls in akoya oysters. (But no information about what those pearls are.)

Did you notice the tricky copyrighted language on their front page?

All the oysters sold on this site are Akoya Oyster Pearls
©.

Not "akoya pearls" but "akoya oyster pearls". The word "akoya" modifies the word "oyster", not the word "pearls".

Pearls in akoya oysters. (But no information about what those pearls are.)

Yep....but they still run afoul of the FTC disclosure guidelines.
Pearls
You are required to tell consumers if the pearls you're selling are cultured or imitation. Your ads should not use the word pearl - by itself - unless the advertised product consists only of natural pearls. If the product contains cultured pearls, the word "cultured" or "cultivated" - or a synonym - should immediately precede the word pearl.

A statement that discloses only the type of cultured pearl you're selling - for example, freshwater, South Sea or Akoya pearls - does not comply with the requirement. Instead, say that the pearls are cultured: cultured freshwater pearls, South Sea cultured pearls or Akoya cultured pearls. If the product contains imitation pearls, use the word "artificial," "imitation," "simulated," or a synonym immediately preceding the word pearl.

Some black, bronze, gold, purple, blue and orange pearls, whether natural or cultured, occur that way naturally; others are dyed through various processes. You are required to tell consumers whether colored pearls are naturally colored, dyed or irradiated.

I think jsheperd should check out another page that has become extremely popular as of late. doodlesofpearls.com - they also have a facebook page and do live pearl opening parties. I am highly suspicious of this page after reading all the info here. hundreds of pearls are being opened every other night on this facebook page. they are saying they are "akoya oysters farmed from japan"....... I am not convinced. curious to see what you experts think......

Their FAQ page is outrageous. According to them, the oysters were't even killed-- they lived out their natural lives.

7. Are the oysters alive? No. They’ve lived out their life and were not killed in order to be shipped or by myself.
8. How long does it take for a pearl to grow? 3-6 years. At the end of their growth, they oyster is no longer living and they’re harvested from their very well cared for farmed environment for us."

Back