Where to purchase wholesale Akoya round Pearls at least AA+

I don't think it's trolling, though-- more like laziness. I don't understand how people can start a business without knowing all about what they are selling, but obviously many don't see the need to educate themselves first.

The people who are too lazy to do proper research are the same folks looking for get rich quick schemes. One thing I've discovered about selling handmade jewelry...it's a very expensive undertaking. Rewarding, but expensive (especially if you like what you make, then decide not to sell it!)

While I wasn't really interested in the pearl party stuff anyway, I used to think it was no big deal and just a bit of fun too, so I get where some of these posters are coming from. I thought it might be cute for little kids at least, along the same lines as the big thrill we used to get from the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks or grab bags (am I showing my age?)

But the Wish Pearl nonsense goes beyond that. They're packed in nasty chemicals, grossly overpriced, blatantly lied about and fake science. (If you become a seller, you might even get sued for participating in the false advertising- opposition seems to be mounting).

There are all kinds of ways to treat yourself, sell something for profit, surprise kids or give kids a cool (real) science lesson. So another way to look at is just why bother with such garbage?

Last edited:
So that was a lot to read! I just signed up to comment and ask some questions.

Several FB friends do these pearl parties. However Im cheap, and never wanted to pay $15 an oyster, so Ive been talking to my family about all of us getting together and pitching in and buying bulk akoya oysters for us to do our own party. An offline version, not for profit, all of us just pitching in the exact price for the amount we wish to open. Ive found them for $1.29 each for 100 oysters on ebay. There are 12 of us so we are getting 8 each, with four leftover in case any are empty. Now here are my questions:
*Would it be cheaper for us to just buy bulk freshwater pearls, put them in a bag, and draw them out?
*If so, where should I be looking for these bulk freshwater pearls?

I hope I didnt ask the wrong questions, but from what I saw the problem was from people asking for you to give out info on purchasing akoya oysters with freshwater pearls-which they could use to do their own pearl parties-which is exactly what you are speaking out against.
I know now (thanks to this forum!) these are cultured & dyed freshwater pearls. In my case its not about thinking we are getting highly expensive pearls, this is just going to be a fun family activity to do for a wedding shower. Id far prefer to order the pearls direct so we dont have to open a bunch of chemically soaked, wet dog smelling oysters, lol.

Cherie,

Thank you for reading the thread before posting. It's good to see that you don't want to open chemically-soaked dead oysters just to get a low quality freshwater pearl.

Have you considered doing a grab-bag of real Tahitians? There is a seller on Etsy who sells them for not a lot of money, and you can get them undrilled or ask for them to be fully drilled or half-drilled free. These circled pearls are not costly and for sure would be unique:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/234261917/tahitian-pearl-circled-short-dark?ref=shop_home_active_4

He has many other pearls at assorted price points, if that lot doesn't grab you. Circled pearls can be very colorful though.

If you really want freshwaters then there are other Etsy sellers who sell drilled freshwater strands, temporarily strung. You could always buy a couple of different strands, take them apart, put the pearls in a bag and have a grab-fest.

A few Etsy vendors:
Wenpearls (I see they also sell Tahitians)-- https://www.etsy.com/shop/WenPearls?search_query=freshwater
Kongspearl-- https://www.etsy.com/shop/KongsPearl?ref=search_shop_redirect&section_id=18640503

Not only would it be better to buy pearls and do a grab bag, but definitely less toxic and disgusting.

I cannot imagine going to a bridal shower wearing my best dress and having to open a bunch of toxic, wet, dog-smelling (love that description) oysters with pearls that came from muscles not oysters. It would be like wearing your fanciest clothes for a first date, and he takes you hiking instead. And yes, I was hiking once and saw a guy in hiking gear with a very unhappy lady in a fancy dress and high heels. I assumed that it was also their last date.

I love the grab bag idea.

While I wasn't really interested in the pearl party stuff anyway, I used to think it was no big deal and just a bit of fun too, so I get where some of these posters are coming from. I thought it might be cute for little kids at least, along the same lines as the big thrill we used to get from the prize in a box of Cracker Jacks or grab bags (am I showing my age?)
I've always disliked this stuff - mostly because earlier dupes come up to me waving a dyed dull freshwater pearl in some plated cage and tell me with great excitement the snake oil salesman told them it was worth $$$£££, or it's a present from a grandchild..and I never know whether to tell the truth or go along with the fluffy lies

I think once a child is old (mature) enough to stop believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, we should treat them with respect and find more honest ways to enhance their natural desire to explore and find treasures, rather than expose them to these pearl party carnival acts. (..sorry end of speech) ..a grab bag is a much better idea.

haha BW, I doubt I would have even gotten out of the car!

I'm sure she thought she was going to walk through lovely gardens with paved sidewalks. It's hard to tell in Florida. Some of the gardens are paved, and some are seriously rustic to the point that you have to wear hiking boots and long pants to keep the ticks off you.

I think once a child is old (mature) enough to stop believing in the Easter Bunny and Santa Claus, we should treat them with respect and find more honest ways to enhance their natural desire to explore and find treasures, rather than expose them to these pearl party carnival acts.

This strikes to the heart of the matter.

I grew up knowing my mother wore pearls, my grandmother wore pearls and her mother wore pearls. While I was just a boy, my curiosity and big stick led me to discover freshwater mussels in the wiles of Quetico Park, in Northwestern Ontario during a Canada (Dominion) Day celebration and family reunion. I was mesmerized a tiny, abundant creature could create the iridescent treasures of rainbows and gems.

Despite my awe, my folks outwardly explained pearls were a secret never to be divulged and only possible in a place far away. I understood what they were saying, but didn't buy it because here I was, a boy of five observing the phenomena of nacreous growth before my very eyes. It was on that sunny day in 1962, I resolved to prove them wrong, that I would topple those barriers to unlock mysteries and dispel the myths.

Growing up, I learned to hold my breath to swim underwater. My first snorkel had a ping-pong ball stopper that proved more dangerous than no snorkel at all. I felt like Aqua Man when I got my first swim fins. I would hunt for patches of mussels, watching them as their mantles displayed patterns of color and sensitivity. My entire family were pioneers of SCUBA apparatus, instructors and intrepid explorers of lost ships, salvage and discoveries. In 1979, I moved to the west coast to pursue a deep sea diving career and within just a few years navigated and surveyed much of the coastline, from Washington State to Alaska.

One evening in 1980, while dining on a plate of deep fried mussels, I cracked a bicuspid on a pearl. The next day, with half a tooth and a pearl in hand, walked into the dentist office. The dentist took an x-ray of the tooth and the pearl. He explained the tooth could not be saved, but the pearl should.

The stage was set and the point of this rambling is all of us are gifted with the power of observation, speculation and replication. The greater parts of our education are experience, listening and seeing.

While I could go on for days about the misconceptions of natural or cultured pearling, I fail to see where oyster opening parties and education are interfaced. All too often, these so-called hosts claim opening them in the presence of children (even adults for that matter) is a pathway to higher learning. To that end, I often ask myself... learning what? How to deceive?, ruthless greed?, perpetuating myths? In reviewing these pearl party sideshows, no where have I witnessed a single tenet of truth how invertebrates are identified, arise, evolve or behave. I fail to see how severing the adductor muscle of a sickly bivalve to reveal a transplanted, previously harvested trinket has even a modicum of inference to anything ecological, anatomical or environmental.

Most party hosts are preoccupied with flaunting fabulous nails, flicking flowing locks or feigning sophistication under the guise of picking pockets. Some hosts brag revenue by posting invoices and receipts. All that tells me, they are little more than snake oil hucksters, adept at shallow manipulation and pawns in elaborate pyramid schemes.

I'm not a parent, so I cannot declare what the greater interests of child rearing are, but I've taken enough young people under my wing to know there ought to be more transparency and honesty in how we educate ourselves and steward our surroundings. I've had an adventurous life and done more things most could even imagine, but my greatest joy is to inspire a person to release fish into the sea or gaze into the depths with wonder.

Attachments

• cleaver_salmon_release.jpg
    cleaver_salmon_release.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 37
  • sup_kelp_beds.jpg
    sup_kelp_beds.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 38
  • dave_age5.jpg
    dave_age5.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 36
Dave, thank you for sharing your story. I love all the good, factual information you share with us. And the tooth story tickles me.

Great story and photos, Dave!

I have to say, I don't see the big kick in getting just a pearl anyway. Unless someone is a collector, the main cost and effort is putting the pearl into a piece of jewelry. And who wants to do all that if it's not a pearl they happen to really, really like?

Just my opinion, but I'd rather surprise people with a few pairs of different colored and sized pearl stud earrings, freshwaters and silver if on a tight budget. Or maybe freshwater bracelets on elastic, pearls in pendant settings or a combination of jewelry pieces.

Last edited:
Thank you for your response, Dave. And I couldn't agree more with you. As a parent, its hard not to indulge in their fantasies. But I feel, since I am the parent, I should steer them away from such misadventures. As always, your writing is a pleasure to read, dental mishap and all! And enjoyed the photos too!

Thank you for sharing your story, Dave! I agree, the best way to learn about nature is in nature. (I learned to swim in the N. Puget Sound… Not for the faint of heart, eh?)

Back