Where to go and stay after Ruckus?

BWeaves

I need some recommendations please!

If I'm going to fly 3000 miles to attend Ruckus, I'm not going home right away. Darling Hubby has wanted to go to California for several years, so I decided that we could combine both trips for our 30th (PEARL!) anniversary. After Ruckus I'll do whatever he wants to do and see whatever he wants to see.

He'd like to go through the wine country (particularly Rutherford Grove Winery and Ballantine Winery, but there are others).
And he'd like to see the redwoods, and so would I.

We're more into scenery and old bookstores, rather than touristy stuff or Hollywood.
And we like to stay at Bed and Breakfast Inns, rather than hotels.

So, any recommendations on towns, wineries, B&Bs, restaurants, or parks would be greatly appreciated!

Also, I'm vegetarian, so any recommendations along that front, would be greatly appreciated, too.

Thanks!!
BWeaves

California is full of vegetarians, that should not be a problem :)

CA can be a deceptively large state, and LA to the Bay Area are a ways apart. Were you thinking of a road trip post Ruckus? A dive up the coast could be a fun adventure (There's an inland route too, which is faster, but not terribly scenic). Or were you more looking for things in the LA area

When my DH and I visited California wine country (six years ago) we stayed at the Sonoma Creek Inn. We visited a number of wineries in Sonoma and Napa. At the Homewood winery, a small and simple winery, we enjoyed wine & chocolate tasting. We really liked it. We also loved their port.

BWeaves! I'm lugging my bf along to the ruckus, and before moving back to NY, he lived in the Bay area for 10 years. Chroman brought up a good point regarding NoCal vs SoCal. If you are planning on heading up to NoCal, I'll have him send along some recs for restaurants and such. I know Ad Hoc by Tom Keller (more casual and easier to book than French Laundry) is his favorite.

Thanks for your recommendations. Please keep them coming.

I thought we would fly to our next destination since California is a big state. I'm past the age where I want to spend all my time on the road, unless the road is very interesting.

I think Hubby may want to see San Francisco, too. We still haven't nailed down exactly what he wants to do. I'm the planner. Trying to get his plans out of him in advance is like trying to nail jelly to the wall.

Also, if you're going to be around LA and like art museums, the Getty Museum is fantastic.

LACMA is another good stop in LA, museum wise, and is literally right next door to the La Brea Tar pits, which are also awesome, but in a different sort of way. Santa Barbara also is wine country, if you want to hit some SoCal wineries.

The roads (at least in the US) probably don't get much more interesting than up the CA coast. There's a number of good places to hit along the way (Monterey, Carmel, Hearst Castle). But if you want to fly, check out flights on Southwest from BUR to OAK (or at least BUR to SFO). I hate flying out of LAX if I can avoid it, and BUR is a nice small airport. Ditto on OAK vs SFO. Southwest has tons of cheap flights every day betweek all 3.

Napa, while being well known, can also get rather crowded with tourists or roudy revellers. But theres also amazaing wine to be found in the small wineries of the surrounding areas, like the Russian River valley.

Also if you make it to SF, you could add City Lights to your list, since you mentioned old bookstores.

There are probably many more things than you'll have time for, and we could probably come up with a good list here!

More ideas (for the Bay Area)!

Purranha's talk of food reminded me that the Chronicle does a top 100 list each year that might be woth a look: http://www.sfchronicle.com/food/top-100-2015/

You might also want to setup an uber account if you don't already have one, Uber is huge out here (that goes for LA too).

I find the ruins of the Sutro Baths to be a fascinating relic of a bygone era. Not sure if its you cup of tea, but it should be a bit of the normal tourist beat.

Maybe swing up through Marin on your way to or from wine country? The Point Bonita lighthouse is a favorite of mine. Great views from outside the Golden Gate looking back toward the city. For a dose of pinniped cute, stop by the Marine Mammal Center. And if you haven't gotten enough pearls by that point, you'll be in the neighborhood of Kojima.

Muir Woods is also up that way, which has great trees (they're redwoods, not giant sequioa). If you go, you may want to check logistics. I think I read they were axing their parking lots in favor of shuttles from somewhere in order to ease congestion.

I love the drive up the coast and we've done it on a few of our trips to America. Chroman has covered that well and I'm sure is far more familiar with the area. It all depends on what you like really..it's a huge state with a lot of variety.
I was at the Getty last year and spend a couple of nights in Beverly Hills..that was fun..lots of movie stars in our restaurant as it was Oscars weekend. But if you like shopping that's a fun stop for overnight..take a car up to the Getty..such an amazing building and fun to see as it's in so many movies.
You won't have any problem eating in Cal...Vegan .. Vegetarian..they do it all.

If you decide to go to Napa I would recommend Mustard Grill restaurant. Book ahead. One of Inglenook Winery tour walks you to a small part of their vineyard. Most wineries have tasting only, without vineyard tour. Inglenook (own by the Coppola family) also has a display of the Tucker 48. There are only 51 of them in the world. It has 3 headlights instead of two. A 1948 Tucker was estimated at $1.2 million in 2011. Del Dotto has a cave tour where they store the barrels. You can taste from the barrels by siphoning. Bell Winery is a small one that also has a vineyard with tank area in addition to tasting.

In Santa Barbara, Curtis Winery lets you see their production area like pressing machine. They also pair the wine with chocolate.

If your interested in seeing the redwoods (and I would highly recommend it) then just North of San Francisco across the Golden Gate Bridge is Muir Woods. Beautiful park and a very nice drive. From there you can cut through Sonoma (which I think has better and more family owned wineries than Napa) and head over to Napa. One thing to consider is Oakland airport is closer to Napa than SF so if you just want to do Napa that would be a better airport or you can fly into one and back out of the other.

If you go to SF one of my favorite spots is at the top of Ft. Point. Ft. Point is right under the Golden Gate Bridge and they had to design a special arch as to not destroy the fort. From the top you have amazing views of the bridge and the bay. Also you will have the location mostly to your selves vs. fighting the huge crowds at the designated photo points where you can only see half of the bridge.

Thank you! We were leaning towards going to San Francisco and Muir Woods.

Do you know if there are any tours that would take us around to wineries? Or are we best renting a car and driving. If we're going to be drinking wine, I think someone else should be driving us.

Ft. Point and the Presidio are also good spots (but can be crowded). Chrissy Field is over that way and also a neat spot. If you like some light hiking, there is a trail (seach for Lands End Trail) that will take you up thr Pacific side of SF (Lands End) to the GG. Ft. Point is just under that. I think its like 3mi, very scenic, and pretty quiet. Though, there is a beach along the way known for clothing-optional enthusiests, thoug when you are there it might be too cold..

Coit Tower is another interesting spot. Its on my list of places to check out, but I've yet to make it (so perhaps others can chime in if they've been?). It has a bunch of New Deal eta murals inside that I think were just restored a few years ago.

I would guess that Uber could be a good way to get around in wine country.

Oh! bring layers. It will be much colder than you expect in SF (but not in Napa..).

Last edited:
There are plenty of services for getting you on wine tours - from limosines to tour busses.

- Karin

Omg, Purranha I live very close to the Santa Monica pier and I haven't heard of this. Great idea, I hope it takes off. Maybe the Expo Line to Santa Monica will be up and running by July.
BWeaves, this could be a great alternative to flying. Although driving up the coast is glorious.

Back