Can anyone help in identifying these pearls form the pictures uploaded. Thanks

Attachments

• NSD 034.jpg
    NSD 034.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 26
  • NSD 033.jpg
    NSD 033.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 29
Yes, I have often seen tassels on good quality gemstone strands and high quality rounds, but never on pearls like that. I wonder what size they are? Do inexpensive pearls get this treatment, too? Or are these pearls something special that I am missing? Maybe keshi?

Aman, please tell us what else you know about these pearls.

People here in india have told me they are Basra pearls and are expensive. I have no clue. Have inherited them and they must have been with us for 150 years...

People here in India call them Basra Pearls, i only know that much..

What do you want to know?

It sounds like you have all the information you need. If what you say is true, then they should be "Basra" pearls- which is a shorthand way to say the pearls are from the Persian Gulf.

Because they are mostly button pearls, they are not as valuable as round pearls, and they do look like freshwater pearls to many, so I suggest you go to a local, respected pearl dealer and discuss getting them certified as "real pearls" or whatever English phrase they use. Nobody knows more about Basra pearls than pearl dealers in India. Based on the karat weight and actual range of sizes, a local respected Indian pearl dealer can tell you their value on the current market. Also, the biggest market for Basra pearls is right there in India. Out here in the rest of the world, they would be competing with cultured freshwater button pearls from China in looks- and probably not get the respect they deserve, because of the shapes looking so freshwater.

Has your family just kept them in strands like that for 150 years and not used them for jewelry? The tassels don't look old, so they are new or have been packed away for generations, but they don't look packed either. What have they told you about them? How do you know they have been lying around unused for 150 years? Your family has so many Basra pearls, the women can't wear them all, so leave some lying around on strands?

Or were those taken apart recently and put back into unfinished strands, for sale purposes? Please tell us more.

Well they could be 'basra' pearls, the best would be to get them tested, if they are what you think, very well spend money!

Persian Gulf pearls are typically referred as Basra pearls.

I still would say freshwater keshi's though, especially since they are still temporarily strung and not made into any jewelry after such a long time, odd.

Last edited:
It is odd. Something about the story is confusing to say the least. It just doesn't follow that those would go unfinished and unworn in a family with living, breathing, Indian women in it. I would really enjoy hearing more.

Hi there. thanks for your reply. The pearls are part of a rosary which i havnt included in the picture. Iv will shortly upload full picture of the tasbi (rosary) for u to have a close look. Do take a look at the beads, the alternate ones are of pure god and the rest are called mirzaan. These belonged to my wifes great great grandfather ( Mohamedali ).

Basra pearls

Basra pearls

Dear all,

those interested please have a closer look.

Attachments

• Basra Pearls 003.jpg
    Basra Pearls 003.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Basra Pearls 001.jpg
    Basra Pearls 001.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 34
  • Basra Pearls 002.jpg
    Basra Pearls 002.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 32
  • Basra Pearls 004.jpg
    Basra Pearls 004.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 38
I love it! More photos showing how they connect to the rosary, please! I do believe that could be the age you said and the use of the pearls makes complete sense. I really want to see more pix of the pearls in their proper context! They seem to hang. Can you show how that looks?

Back