What kinds of pearls are these please?

So asking PearlDreams or any of you...
PearlDreams said:
• Do they pass the tooth test? When you examine the surface with a 10x loupe, is it smooth looking as real nacre should be? Or a bit coarse like imitation pearl coating looks under 10x magnification?

Does anyone have photos of what Supernova should be looking for when looking through a loupe at 10X? Is there a difference at higher magnification?
I'd be curious to to see the difference.
After reading all this, I am planning on purchasing a UV light and loupe...you've got me curious...

What a good discussion.
Here's a link that goes way back, showing photos of Cortez Pearls fluorescing HERE

I have dyed green fw pearls from 15 years ago color much like the earrings shown. The gem in the ring I can't identify, sorry. Definitely not a Cortez Pearl. Doesn't look to me like a pearl based on the photo. We here are more than happy to share information and educate each other.
Thank you Pattye for posting the link to the other thread, very interesting!

What a good discussion.
Here's a link that goes way back, showing photos of Cortez Pearls fluorescing HERE

I have dyed green fw pearls from 15 years ago color much like the earrings shown. The gem in the ring I can't identify, sorry. Definitely not a Cortez Pearl. Doesn't look to me like a pearl based on the photo. We here are more than happy to share information and educate each other.
Thank you, very helpful!
:)

So the ring there is an elongated gem that looks like a pearl not the round one. Ugly as hell, but certainly a pearl.

Attachments

• IMG_3651.jpeg
    IMG_3651.jpeg
    978.9 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_3649.jpeg
    IMG_3649.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 111
  • IMG_3650.jpeg
    IMG_3650.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 100
Last edited by a moderator:
PearlDreams said:
• Do they pass the tooth test? When you examine the surface with a 10x loupe, is it smooth looking as real nacre should be? Or a bit coarse like imitation pearl coating looks under 10x magnification?

Does anyone have photos of what Supernova should be looking for when looking through a loupe at 10X? Is there a difference at higher magnification?
After reading all this, I am planning on purchasing a UV light and loupe...you've got me curious...
The Cortez is the only one that has any type of fluorescent reaction to UV, but certainly helpful in detecting treatments (sometimes lack of treatment depending on the gemstone variety)

I did think you meant the round stone. Didn't even notice the pearl.

The "pearl", are we thinking it could be abalone (pearl or shell)?
Shell would be more common, and less valuable by far. It could be bezel set.

PearlDreams said:

Just googling for images, I found this (Figure 1).

The top is what imitation pearl coating typically looks like under 10x magnification; the bottom shows the appearance of genuine nacre.
Imitation nacre looks coarse but feels smooth (tooth test or pearls rubbed against each other); real nacre looks smooth but feels gritty.

Source: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/features/detecting-pearl-imitations-and-treatments/2/

Imitation (top) and cultured (bottom) pearls shown under 10x magnification.jpg

You know, I've never been able to do the tooth test or the rub two pearls together test to see if they are gritty. I've never ever been able to feel the "gritty." Although I can definitely feel the smooth of fake pearls.

You know, I've never been able to do the tooth test or the rub two pearls together test to see if they are gritty. I've never ever been able to feel the "gritty." Although I can definitely feel the smooth of fake pearls.
This is a very helpful image. I have some fake pearls that I kept for comparison reasons...although it is pretty easy to feel the difference in weight and uniformity of the pearls. I appreciate your taking the time to find and post these images.

I did think you meant the round stone. Didn't even notice the pearl.

The "pearl", are we thinking it could be abalone (pearl or shell)?
Shell would be more common, and less valuable by far. It could be bezel set.
It seems to dense to be shell but I will examine it under microscope thank you so much all for the great advice!

I'm not CortezPearls, but I can venture to answer.

Sea of Cortez pearls would fluoresce red.

The other ring looks like a stone, not a pearl. I have no idea what stone!

This is an educational forum and we love to share our knowledge freely! Sellers who are ethical want to know what they are selling, so questions are always welcome! :)
I agree with @Pearl Dreams
It's a stone (the round one)...I can see inclusions in it, but not much else.
The elongated one could be an Abalone pearls...or even shell. Hard to see more.

The Cortez is the only one that has any type of fluorescent reaction to UV, but certainly helpful in detecting treatments (sometimes lack of treatment depending on the gemstone variety)
UV light can help with Cortez (pink-red) or white pearls (blue-green).
I have used UV lamps on all sorts of pearls, but most are inert (no fluorescence/glow), such as Golden SSPs, Conch, Tahiatian (Black)...I believe Abalone don't "glow" either, nor conch pearls.

It could be an early dyed freshwater stick pearl. There were a lot of stick pearl rings around for a while...maybe around 2005(?)
It could!

Here is a video of the UV fluorescence in different pearls:

It could be shell, rather than pearl. If it's a pearl, then yes, that would be natural. But you couldn't ethically sell it as a natural pearl without being sure, and being sure would require taking the pearl/shell out of the bezel.

If you plan to sell it, just sell it as is... unknown stone, and unknown (possibly red abalone) shell or pearl. Someone else who thinks it's cool may buy it.
Or wear it yourself!

L
It could be shell, rather than pearl. If it's a pearl, then yes, that would be natural. But you couldn't ethically sell it as a natural pearl without being sure, and being sure would require taking the pearl/shell out of the bezel.

If you plan to sell it, just sell it as is... unknown stone, and unknown (possibly red abalone) shell or pearl. Someone else who thinks it's cool may buy it.
Or wear it yourself!
I think it’s quite ugly but probably just gonna have it sit around for awhile and collect dust and maybe find someone to give it to. I do not sell silver really….
🙏 thank you

Back