What Kind of Pearls? Anyone Recognize Maker's Mark?

Redux

These pearls are 18" long and approximately 6mm. They have a 14k gold clasp.

As per website instructions, these were taken on a white background with no flash except the one that is a closeup of the maker's mark.

a.jpg

a1.jpg

a2a.jpg

a3.jpg

This last one was taken with a flash...it just gives a little more of a wider view of the pearls.

DSCN2270d.jpg

I sell mostly costume jewelry on ebay and occasionally fine jewelry, but I've not been able to find the maker's mark from any of the resources that I've used in the past.

I'd very much appreciate knowing what kind of pearls they are and if any one recognizes the makers mark.

Thanks!

Redux, Welcome to Pearl-Guide.

They seem to be cultured akoya pearls with thin nacre and low luster, and I see a few that have some damage to the nacre. Back in the 1970s some poor quality pearls were coming out of Japan with thin nacre. I think the clasp is a generic one and the mark is just the manufacturer of the clasp rather than a brand name for the pearls. I would not price these very high if I were you.

Have you tried rubbing two pearls together gently? If they are real pearls, you will feel a little resistance. If imitation, they would glide smoothly against each other. I think they are akoyas but you could do this test to be sure.

Thank you pearl dreams!

They feel kind of gritty when rubbed together, like when pearls feel gritty on your teeth. Is that what you mean?

And thank you so much for explaining about the nacre. I had noticed that damage on some of them which surprised me as I didn't know that there were pearls with thin nacre. I had always assumed that pearls were one material through and through and if the coating (nacre) was missing on the top, then they were just faux pearls. Guess I need to go back and revisit my pile of faux pearls that I have! LOL.

Thanks again.

Akoya pearls are saltwater pearls that are cultured with a bead inside (which makes them round.) Most freshwater pearls are solid nacre, which is why they are usually at least somewhat off-round.

A high quality akoya pearl will have a minimum of 0.4mm of nacre -- but think about that. Nearly half a millimeter is still pretty thin. The pearl strand in your photos would have considerably less nacre, making it vulnerable to peeling, cracking, and just plain wearing out with use.

This website has a good educational section you may enjoy reading.

Back