What kind of culture pearl are these?

iceellen

$_57 (1).jpg$_57 (2).jpg$_57.jpg

I found this pearl necklace online and really like it. The seller stated that the pearls are salt water pearls but does not specific which kind. Could you help me to identify these? And about how much do you they worth?

Thanks helping!

It looks like a beautiful and fun necklace. Can you take a close-up? Use the macro setting and get a sharper, closer photo of just a few pearls. A photo of the front and back of the clasp would also be of interest. :)

I'm thinking it must be a costume kind of piece. I don't think the Chanel copy findings would be gold and I don't think you would put anything but inexpensive freshwater pearls with copy findings. You might also want to check the local rules for buying copy designer wear in case this is a copy of an actual Chanel design.

- Karin

I'm thinking it must be a costume kind of piece. I don't think the Chanel copy findings would be gold and I don't think you would put anything but inexpensive freshwater pearls with copy findings. You might also want to check the local rules for buying copy designer wear in case this is a copy of an actual Chanel design.

- Karin

It is authentic Chanel. Chanel has costume jewelry(glass pearls) and fine jewelry(real pearls), that's why I need to make sure that they are actually from the fine jewelry line.

Last edited:
It looks like a beautiful and fun necklace. Can you take a close-up? Use the macro setting and get a sharper, closer photo of just a few pearls. A photo of the front and back of the clasp would also be of interest. :)

Untitled.jpg

Is this good enough?

Those are not real pearls. There is one shape that might be, but it is repeated throughout the necklace. The other pearls all appear to be glass.

Thank you all very much! I really appreciate the help.

And I am sad right now, it took forever to find one from the fine jewelry line and I thought this might be it. The necklace also come with a four-digit price, can't believe it is the costume line...

Yes, I saw a shape like a turbo shell that seemed to repeat, but since none of the photos are sharp, I hated to burst any bubbles prematurely. You have to wonder when the fabric is the only thing in-focus.

Iceellen, good for you to be careful. :)

For the sake of education and because I obviously know nothing about it :) can you tell how to tell the necklace is authentic Chanel?

- Karin

KarinK, it would be difficult to tell without seeing it in person. Chanel is one of the most commonly faked items on auction sites. Unless the seller is well known for its high end resale, and willing to offer a guarantee (with full refund) that the item is verified authentic, I would run away from the listing. That said, it is still possible to purchase real items on the secondary market...but it is not without risk.
To the original poster, if you are looking for a piece of Chanel couture, I would suggest that you visit a boutique (some Neimans and Saks have them). That way you can view the real deal in person and know what to look for on the secondary market. I would also check with jewelers who deal in estate pieces and even with high end pawn shops. For Chanel fashion jewelry, I would look for very high end resale (consignment) shops. There is a wonderful one in Washington, DC in Georgetown called Ella Rue.

Yes, I saw a shape like a turbo shell that seemed to repeat, but since none of the photos are sharp, I hated to burst any bubbles prematurely. You have to wonder when the fabric is the only thing in-focus.

Iceellen, good for you to be careful. :)

Thank you for helping!:)
It is necessary to be cautious when purchasing luxury item.

For the sake of education and because I obviously know nothing about it :) can you tell how to tell the necklace is authentic Chanel?

- Karin

The biggest giveaway is the stamp(s) on the jewelry, basically every piece of Chanel jewelry has one or more stamps. A fake has either bad stamp or has no stamp at all.

By all means use authentication services, expert opinion is necessary.

Last edited:
KarinK, it would be difficult to tell without seeing it in person. Chanel is one of the most commonly faked items on auction sites. Unless the seller is well known for its high end resale, and willing to offer a guarantee (with full refund) that the item is verified authentic, I would run away from the listing. That said, it is still possible to purchase real items on the secondary market...but it is not without risk.
To the original poster, if you are looking for a piece of Chanel couture, I would suggest that you visit a boutique (some Neimans and Saks have them). That way you can view the real deal in person and know what to look for on the secondary market. I would also check with jewelers who deal in estate pieces and even with high end pawn shops. For Chanel fashion jewelry, I would look for very high end resale (consignment) shops. There is a wonderful one in Washington, DC in Georgetown called Ella Rue.

Neither Neimans nor Saks has the fine jewelry line. It is hard to find even in a flagship Chanel boutique. They also discontinue collections so many of them are not available for retail. The newer collections focus way too much on diamonds for my liking and the prices are ridiculous.

Last edited:
Back