What Do I Have???

Dana896

I was given these by a family member. I am curious to what they really are bc there is an interesting story behind them. Please feel free to be honest in your opinion of these pearls. Thanks!!!

20140611_214859.jpg20140611_215032.jpgTahitian pearls, south sea, aquamarine and heliodor rondelles

Welcome!

I don't usually participate in evaluations (still building my confidence in this expertise) but it looks like a combo of off-round and semi-baroque South Sea pearls. Luster seems to be decent, despite the moderately blemished surface. To determine the market price, you can search in sites like PP and Tahitianpearls.biz for pearls of similar quality.

I wish someone in my family would give me SSPs, so lucky you! What's the story?

Last edited:
Thank you, they were a gift from the Thai royal family to my late mother. I was young when she recieved them but I remember Dar telling her that they were from Mikimoto and that they were not cultured. I want to have them xrayed so that a proper appraisal can be made for insurance purposes. Unfortunately, there is not a local to me appraiser who can handle this, I've tried. Does anybody know if I can have my dentist scan them and have the results sent out for evaluation? Thanks

Welcome, Dana,

That certainly is an interesting and exciting story! Approximately what size are the pearls? You can have them xrayed by your dentist and post the films here. Often the xrays are helpful in advising you further. Approximately what year would your Mother have received the pearls?

Last edited:
I've seen some members post xrays taken by their dentists, so I suppose you can, too. It would be great if your mom kept records of provenance, like a personal note, the box from the Royal Family, etc.

However, if it was bought from Mikimoto, your pearls are surely cultured, because that's what Mikimoto does--culture pearls. That doesn't mean it's not a real pearl. You can find out more about the differences between "cultured", "natural", as used by pearl connoisseurs here.

Moreover, Mikimoto is obsessed with perfection; it would not put its name on a lightly blemished pearl. (Back then, it allegedly wouldn't even sell a pearl that wasn't bleached white.) Speaking of which, was the clasp changed? Mikimoto's would have the signature M in the clamshell logo.

Having said that, it's a great strand of pearls, with an interesting story--and that's more than what most of us have in our collections. I suggest you do more research into its provenance, and whatever you find may bring you closer to your mom.

Last edited:
Hi
My grandmother had a collection of jewels from Middle Eastern rulers. My daughter has the 5 ruby ring from Ibn Saud. My sister has the sapphire and diamond ring from someone in Persia at the time. I even got a gold, ruby, and diamond medallion as a gift directly, in person, from from the Shaikh of Bahrain. However, these gifts were like party favors and though beautiful, are all low end and not worth much for what they are. They were usually presented to guests on a plate when they sat down for dinner.

So, although your pearls are authentic, and beautiful, that is why the central pearl has a flaw- the royals (that I am aware of) kind of bought those party favors in bulk without much inspection as they had a lot of dinner parties with guests to impress.

Aaah, to live in an era, and dine at a table, that gives such party favors!

Caitlin -- how fascinating! And Dana - that is a lovely necklace. :)

Here are a few pics of the X Ray. I'm going to have it refined the next time I go. This was a learning experience, I should have had him coil them up. The pearls were given to my mother from her close friend who was aThai princess, they are not a novelty present. Lol. She received them loose in close guess would be 1992. She had them strung and had the clasp custom made, I had it appraised at 1500 alone, it is 24 karat. What is the consensus? What do the x rays tell the pros here? Thanks

Carved Tahitian pearl and Madagascar sapphiresChocolate Tahitians and South sea keshis from  Maluku Is.Kamoka  Tahitian pearl and green sapphiresKamoka pearl on "model"

Last edited:
The views were taken at an incorrect resolution and too wide an angle. Views should critically focus upon a single pearl to reveal the absence or presence of a bead nucleus near the outer surface. The edges are obscured and unreadable.

However, the drilled holes are visible. If these were natural pearls, there would be considerable random proteinaceous inclusions adjacent to holes and/or streaked throughout, but I see none.

I would revisit my opinion by further examination of new views, but for the meanwhile I'm 95% certain these are cultured pearls.

Sorry, I realize not all gifts from rulers are the equivalent of party favors. In this case, if those were natural Golden south sea pearls they would be extremely valuable. Also, the swirl mark on the center pearl only happens on cultured pearls. If the line went all the way around, it would be a circle pearl. So far, I have never seen a natural pearl with circle marks. So in my opinion this strand has the marks of a royal party favor- nice, but flawed, gems. It is low end for South Sea pearls if it has that mark on the largest pearl. I was not awarded my party favor at a dinner, where they usually show up, but in the shaik's throne room. It is considered a token of esteem. It was still party favor quality for a rich royalty to give away. I will apologize profusely if this strand is not a lowish end cultured SS, probably from somewhere in French Polynesia. What gives it its great provenance is the story, esp, if you collect some evidence like a fee for drilling, or a photo of them undrilled or your aunt wearing them, or of the princess in question with or without your aunt.

And, you should enjoy wearing them- they are South Sea pearls, after all!

Back