What do I have here?

GP1

Hi,

I found this pearl necklace in a storage unit that I bought. Here are the details of the necklace.

1. Feels somewhat gritty when rubbed against my teeth but not sure this is my first time doing that.

2. The clasp does not have any marks on it and the back is plain with no design.

3. The pearls are 8mm and there are 85 of them on the necklace.

4. Necklace length is about 31 inches and weighs 65 grams.

Any info on what kind they are and if they have any value would be appreciated.

Thanks

Attachments

• DSCF0002.jpg
    DSCF0002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCF0010.jpg
    DSCF0010.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 26
  • DSCF0001 (2).jpg
    DSCF0001 (2).jpg
    17 KB · Views: 29
They look imitation to me, due to their complete uniformity and lack of overtones. The base metal clasp fits in as well.

If in doubt, look at them with a 10x loupe. Any jeweler would have one and I expect they would allow you to look at the pearls with the loupe. Real pearls look very smooth while imitation pearls have a rougher surface. If you have another strand or pearl to use for comparison, it will make the identification easier.

As far as their being gritty, if they are a bit dirty they might feel a bit gritty, too-- or if you rubbed the pearl too hard against your teeth. Wipe them clean with a damp soft cloth and then gently rub one pearl against another. You are not looking for "grittiness" so much as a "slight resistance." Imitation pearls will slide against each other more easily.

Welcome GP1,

Is there any mark on the hook part of the clasp? Any signs of peeling or blemishes, like little dents or rings? I agree with Pearl Dreams, the appearance indicates imitation pearls, but they seem to be a good size. Pearls, both cultured and imitation, are certainly popular these days, and these are a great length. Thank you for the good photos.

When rubbing one pearl against another there is no resistance they slide against each other easily.

The hook part of the clasp does not have any marks on it and there are no signs of peeling or blemishes.

Would these have any resale value for being imitation?

On the positive side, the necklace is a popular length and the beads a good size, and seem to be in good condition, though no way to identify the brand. Some like to reuse the beads in their own designs. You might see about selling through a consignment shop. Estimate the resale value could be approx. $15-40.

I've always wondered if it would be fun to buy a storage unit~I've seen those shows on TV~good luck!

In this area, imitation pearls would not bring that much, Pattye. More like $12 max, of which the consignment shop would get 55-60%.

Thank you both for your comments. I think I'll just hang onto it.

Back