What are these eBay pearls? !!!

Hi Caitlin,

Even in those poor pictures I can see dye streaks. They look like the dyed Chinese freshwater pearls that are sold on the Isla Margarita as local naturals to unsuspecting tourists. However, this color can occur naturally in the hyriopsis variety prevalent in Laos. So, not all pearls of that color are necessarily dyed.

Zeide

These are Chinese CFWP of poor quality that were dyed with easter egg colors, then sold to the tourist trade on Isla Margarita? The ebay seller most likely fell for the gag when he bought them as a tourist.

If lavender pearls were bought in Laos, they could possibly be a a natural Laotian color? Wow, I am adding purple Laotian pearls to my dream list!

Hi Caitlin,

The remaining two Chinese pearl farms that culture anodonta woodiana also put out some fabulous lavender purple ones (naturally).

Zeide

Hi Zeide
I just searched for anodonta woodiana on this site. Only one other mention -of a strand safely at your mother's..

Please tell me more about it. What do you mean two remaining farms? There were once more? Why would the numbers decrease?

Who are these farms? Do you know them?

Back