What are reborn pearls/keshi ?

aggiep

I've seen this term on ebay quite a bit in reference to keshi. What does reborn mean? or is it just a marketing term to draw you in?

It means they are second-generation. The pearls are harvested and the mussels returned to the water with their pearl sacs intact. They continue to deposit nacre resulting in another pearl.

If I'm not mistaken, only reborn SSP's can be keishi. But it appears that the rest of the world accepts the term keshi for other varieties as reborn pearls obviously occur in other varieties. There are tons of them around and they can be incredible.
Is there a reason why keishi is so proprietary? Other than (what are those initials/the name of the organization?) they got there first, how important is the distinction?
barbie

Only saltwater keshi can be called keshi. It is not just SSP. This is a rule instituted by CIBJO. Of course accidental pearls have in freshwater mussels as well. Of course a regenerated saltwater pearl would be called a keshi.

Why can't freshwater be called keshi? Ask CIBJO. It does not really make any sense. Then again, there are no Chinese freshwater producers on the board of CIBJO as far as I know.

Thank you for your reply. I looked up CIBJO and remembered where I heard some of this before.
barbie

Back