Want to turn this into a knotted endless necklace, can’t find the tutorials!

Breeble

Hello!

I’ve inherited this twisted triple strand pearl necklace from my beloved mother in law. Each pearl is about 8mm long. I don’t like the style of necklace on me, although I love the colours of the pearls, and I really want to be able to wear them as they have huge sentimental value.

I was thinking of changing it to be an endless knotted necklace which I would very much wear. I’ve looked at having it professionally done but it would cost about £100 from what I’ve seen and I just can’t afford that.

I’ve tried so hard to find the recommend tutorials on here to learn to do it myself but they all seem to go to dead video links and I can’t understand the written directions.

I’m a total beginner and I’m in the UK. The triple strand as it is is 18 inches long so it would be a loooong necklace once all in a single strand and knotted. I need info on how to knot, how to do it without getting in a tangle on such a long necklace, and how to make it endless instead of with a clasp? Also what equipment do I need - needles, beading tool, thread size etc? I’ve done a fair bit of beading before but never tried knotting.

Thanks so much for any help!

0856EFDC-35B7-4044-858A-9B029DE3D3E5.jpeg
4C361934-5198-4DFD-B15A-F0354942B06C.jpeg
26A13504-0A5C-4FE3-9653-45933B0C7B26.jpeg

This is going to be a great project for you!

Tutorial:

Here are a few videos.

Knotting black freshwater pearls with a clasp

Caitlin Williams shows her method without tools

Knotting without a clasp

That’s fabulous thank you so much!

I don’t suppose you happed to know any uk alternatives to the recommend threads? I can’t find the Serafil or beaders secret anywhere!

My tutorial is a sticky on the Lowly Beader's forum-- here:

The instructions for an endless necklace begin at post 31 of that thread, here: (edited because I posted the wrong link initially)

Last edited:
Tha
My tutorial is a sticky on the Lowly Beader's forum-- here:

The instructions for an endless necklace begin at post 31 of that thread, here:
Thank you. I’ve worked out how that thread works now! I’m just looking for supplies and I’ll give it a go! The two thread method looks easier than the one thread - I need Serafil 30 right? Thanks so much! I’ll post if I manage to do it!

Breeble,
Thanks for contacting me on etsy; I've sent you info via their message system.
If you have more questions, please post them here. The discussions are often helpful for our other knotters and an opportunity for all of us to problem solve and share tips! Pearl Dreams knotting tutorial is the absolute BEST!

Last edited:
Tha

Thank you. I’ve worked out how that thread works now! I’m just looking for supplies and I’ll give it a go! The two thread method looks easier than the one thread - I need Serafil 30 right? Thanks so much! I’ll post if I manage to do it!
I usually use size 20 Serafil for pearls that size, but Pattye is the best authority on what will work for your specific pearls.

Edited to add-- I gave you the wrong link for the endless necklace instructions-- they begin at post 42 of the tutorial:

I found a number of broken links to posts that appeared elsewhere on PG in the tutorial and fixed them.

I think maybe a lot of links to posts elsewhere in the forum were broken when we changed platform recently. I'm pretty good at finding things so if anyone notices a broken link, send me a PM and I'll do what I can to fix it.

For some reason I don't get email alerts when I have a new private message in my inbox, but I check PG pretty often.

I found a number of broken links to posts that appeared elsewhere on PG in the tutorial and fixed them.

I think maybe a lot of links to posts elsewhere in the forum were broken when we changed platform recently. I'm pretty good at finding things so if anyone notices a broken link, send me a PM and I'll do what I can to fix it.

For some reason I don't get email alerts when I have a new private message in my inbox, but I check PG pretty often.
The transition to the new forum system was a good one...but with the THOUSANDS of threads available...something was bound to get "broken". Thank you for fixing those @Pearl Dreams

I just wanted to say thank you everyone for your help - I have finally gotten around to doing it and made my new endless necklace. I’m so pleased to have something else of my mothers that I’ll actually wear! I loved doing it, it took about 2.5 hours start to finish. I want to do more but I’ve no idea what I’d do with them once they are made!
my new endless necklace
my new endless necklace long
my new endless necklace close up

Back