Visting French Polynesia

teeuk

Hi Guys,

I'm planning an around the world business trip/holiday taking in pearling sites on the way.
I have contacts in Takaroa but think it's a good way out from Tahiti itself.
The plan was to be in F P for around 8 days arriving in Papette at the end of May 2011.
I'm wanting to photograph/observe as much of the grafting etc, that I can during the trip-but time will be tight, bearing in mind I want to get some chill out time too!
Has anyone any suggestions or first hand experience of travelling times between Fp destinations or suggestions that might aid the trip planning??

I am awaiting responses with baited ears!!

Teeuk

There are a number of small farms not too far from Tahiti (at least there were a few years ago). I don't know if it is still in operation, but there was a small family farm that mainly catered to tourists on Taha'a, not too far away.

You should try contacting Josh Humbert. He might not be around (and his atoll might be difficult to reach with limited time), but he could probably point you in the right direction - to a farm nearby that survived the economic crisis.

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your thoughts,I'll give Josh a try.

Cheers,
Teeuk.

Hi Teeuk,
As for inter-island travel, if you are on a tight time frame, the more exotic supply boats will be out of the question. Just go to www.airtahiti.pf for flight info to the Tuamotus or the high islands. You could visit the Champon pearl farm if you want to go to the Vanilla Island of Tahaa. They are nice people and a google search will easily get you a contact. Takaroa is an hour and a half from Tahiti so it's not that far and will definitely be more off the map than Tahaa. Just before Takaroa is Ahe where our farm is too. You are more than welcome to come see us.
As for guide books, Lonely Planet is the best because it's the only guidebook company in the world that will fire it's writers for taking freebies. I'm a little biased too I must say as my wife Celeste wrote the Tahiti book. :)

Hi Josh,

Thanks for the reply...you beat me to even asking you the question directly!
It's extremely kind to offer the opportunity to visit you, how much notice would you need for a visit?
We ,(my wife and I) are at the stage of booking the flights right now-thats why we need to get some idea of the amount of time to dedicate to farm visting-allowing enough time for photograph and info gathering...and of course some serious chilling out!- before the onward leg to Auckland.
We are planning around an 8 day stay, but wanted to be sure we can do it all comfortably without rushing or missing stuff out.Does that sound feasible?
Thanks very much again for the valuable info.

Regards,

Teeuk.

Something that I recently discovered is that there is a "city tax" in Papeete of 150 francs per person per day... so don't forget to add that into your planning if you end up staying a few nights in Papeete.

Wow, sounds like you had a fab trip, where all did you go?

It was a real rush trip so 1 week in Tahiti and 1 week in the Cook Islands. Whilst in Tahiti we spent most of our time on the main island then a day trip to Moorea (where I found the pearls being sold in the foyer of the Intercontential (was a market table style) better quality and cheaper).

The Cook Islands was a day stay in Rarotonga and the rest of the week on the island of Aitutaki.

Back