Vintage Pearl style

Wow, Clair Bloom - what a progression! I wondered about Carole Lombard “bubble” earrings too.

BW, I’ve watched every movie both these ladies were in, but I really loved the Thin Man series. I agree, Myrna
Loy, really transitioned, along with a lot of other actresses who started in those pre-code days.

Ya know when I started this thread I had a totally different theme in mind, just the glamor of vintage looks etc, however I am finding it equally interesting to see how these Ladies changed (or not changed) their style as they matured

Wow, Clair Bloom - what a progression! I wondered about Carole Lombard “bubble” earrings too.

BW, I’ve watched every movie both these ladies were in, but I really loved the Thin Man series. I agree, Myrna
Loy, really transitioned, along with a lot of other actresses who started in those pre-code days.

Mara Corday

mara-corday-b27637db-c937-42e7-a784-ee5bd1294e8-resize-750.jpeg

Mara-Corday-9-000.jpg

BPD. I like both the vintage shots and how the ladies have matured in looks and pearl style.

Well as long as this remains of interest to you guys (and me) I will try and find more the ladies as they've matured and pair them along side the vintage photos. I really dig the hollywood glamor vibe, but it is also interesting to see how that translated into everyday fashion for the non-hollywood set. It is also interesting to see how Hollywood replaced Royalty when it comes to jewelry fashion and style in general.

BPD. I like both the vintage shots and how the ladies have matured in looks and pearl style.

I just can't get over how beautiful these ladies were/are. They are so glam and I love everything about these photos... the hair, the dresses, the makeup, the eyebrows, and of course, the jewelry! One part of me wishes I grew up during such times, but the other part of me thinks I would hate having to be so pristine all the time.

I have an old Singer Sewing Book from the 1940s which in the preface talked about how you should dress up and put on makeup before you start sewing, just in case someone shows up at your house unexpectedly, or your husband comes home. Plus, when you are trying on your new garment during mid sew, it will look so much better if your hair and makeup are done.

Oh my...so many thoughts about this, and none worth sharing LOL. I'm just glad women throw on their pearls while rocking their jeans, messy bun, and hitting the keyboard coding into the wee hours of the morning (or not)! Thank goodness for progress.

BW is it McHalls <sp?> that used to produce those sewing patterns? Those were always interesting to see, to me it is interesting archive of fashion styles and its changes, looking at those patterns you can see technique change right along with technology and style. I sometimes come across the pattern books while thrifting.

Edit off topic: I had a brief tea with a friend the other day and I mentioned the vintage pictures I seem to be obsessed with lately, we were talking and she said to me "Pearls are embellishing everything now." She was lamenting a pair of Gucci sunglasses that had pearls all over it. Not sure it that was a good thing or bad thing to her. She has a single pearl stud earring (because she lost the other one while hiking) and that is about as connected to pearls as she gets.

I have an old Singer Sewing Book from the 1940s which in the preface talked about how you should dress up and put on makeup before you start sewing, just in case someone shows up at your house unexpectedly, or your husband comes home. Plus, when you are trying on your new garment during mid sew, it will look so much better if your hair and makeup are done.

I sort of get what you mean. For me there all sorts of social issues that would prevent me from wanting to be in that time period. Still style was interesting. I remember my grandmother had a very specific beauty/etc routine before leaving the house and that stayed with her most of her life until my grandfather passed. Then she became very "modern" for lack of a better word. And that surprised us all! Grandma was doing all sort of things she never did before.

I hate that pearls are often only associated with "Preppiness" that image and sterotype is so isolating. In SF, we were standing in a (loooong) Starbucks line with a lady wearing a vintage leather jacket and layers of pearls, I had to compliment her, we had a chat I found out she was a techie playing tourist that day, originally from Ireland.

I like when ladies take an edgy approach to pearls too, does not have to be leather, but certainly not always lace.

I just can't get over how beautiful these ladies were/are. They are so glam and I love everything about these photos... the hair, the dresses, the makeup, the eyebrows, and of course, the jewelry! One part of me wishes I grew up during such times, but the other part of me thinks I would hate having to be so pristine all the time.

Last edited:
Capucine

Capucine-Fashion-Model.jpg

capucine 29.jpg

Capucine 2.jpg

Walk on the Wild Side_Capucine_1962.JPG

9873757_1.jpg

Jean Patchett
(She did quite a few model shots for Richelieu)

ff16c0da8c33b9bfb48988e0aaaff5f8.jpg

Jean-patchett-1949.jpg

Jean Patchett 2.jpg

Some more images for 2019

anigif_enhanced-buzz-2101-1373565826-25.jpg

Last edited:
Hedy Lamarr

Hedy Lamarr.jpg

Leslie Caron

Leslie Caron,.jpg

Yma Sumac

yma-sumac.jpg

Yma Sumac.jpg

Yvonne De Carlo

Yvonne DeCarlo.jpg

Tallulah Bankhead

Tallulah Bankhead .jpg

Tallulah Bankhead -8.jpeg

Tallulah Bankhead 9.jpg

Billie Holiday

Billy Holiday.jpg

Billie Holiday.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen Tallulah young, either. Wowza. And Billie's just a classic.

Back