Views on Pearl Factory, Pick a Pearl, and other pearl-in-oyster businesses?

khanzy

Hi everyone! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all!

I am currently vacationing in Orlando and happened across a Pearl Factory 'shack' in Downtown Disney. Other than their jewelry counter they also offer this "pick your own oyster" service where for $15.99 you select an oyster from which they dig out the pearl, clean it with salt, and then drill it for you to set on a necklace or other jewelry of your choice (separate charge). This seems like something of a gimmick and for a pearl newbie I have suspicions but wanted to see if there was already some consensus on PG about these types of establishments and this service they are providing in particular.

Some impressions when watching videos of 'pearl births' from these businesses taken by vacationing customers, from watching at the booth myself, and from what the businesses have to say online:

- The businesses claim that these are cultured pearls from saltwater oysters (presumably Akoyas) and adamantly state that they do not "get their 'pearls' from freshwater clams then insert them into saltwater oysters" and that "all of our pearls come from genuine saltwater cultured oysters" (Pearl Factory). The shells look Akoya-like and are 2.5-3 inches across on average.

- At the same time, there have been video recordings and client reviews stating that they have on occasion 'birthed' pearls of black color.

- Their oysters are preserved in formaldehyde solution and therefore are dead at the time of display and harvest by the customer at the booth; one can also purchase a "canned" variation of an oyster that is presumably dead and preserved in the same solution.

- These pearls seem to always be round, exhibit decent luster and range from 6-8 mm, in colors from white to silver-blue, pink, gold, and black. They are not entirely blemish-free. Sometimes the sales associates point out either a 'bump' or 'dip' that define the pearl as a boy or girl and then drill from this spot (but why is this consistent?).

Now to me these facts don't quite add up to me in supporting their marketing of this experience as a 'harvest your own real pearl straight from a real oyster" (note that while the business stated that they don't insert freshwater pearls in their saltwater oysters, they didn't specifically deny inserting saltwater pearls into their saltwater oysters either).
I was under the impression that Akoya oysters don't produce black pearls, and although the chances of getting a blemish-free round pearl are higher with bead-nucleated oysters, it is not a 100% guarantee every time. The pearls that I have seen come out of these dead oysters have most certainly been round and without significant blemishing (pits or bumps) but they do seem to have patches of duller nacre, if that is really what it is. So what is really happening here?
Is it...
1) They are inserting imitation pearls into dead oysters.
2) They are inserting real saltwater pearls into dead oysters. Pearls that they have decided are not up to nacre thickness or luster or blemish standards for retail sale. Pearls that may have been processed and dyed prior to insertion.
3) These really are cultured saltwater pearls from their original oyster, and they make more of their money with the setting and jewelry that people buy for the pearl so that they are always operating at a profit. (In which case, the likelihood of getting a singe black pearl from an Akoya is not that low?)

I find this to be very intriguing and would like to see if you more experienced folks could give your impressions. Has anyone tried this out just to see for themselves?

Happy Holidays, everyone!

They insert freshwater pearls into live oysters and then treat them with a chemical that makes them close up.

Akoyas and freshwater pearls are not naturally black-- they are dyed. The black-lipped oyster that makes Tahitian pearls produces black pearls of natural color.

Read post #4 here by Jeremy Shepherd of Pearl Paradise:

They insert freshwater pearls into live oysters and then treat them with a chemical that makes them close up.

Akoyas and freshwater pearls are not naturally black-- they are dyed. The black-lipped oyster that makes Tahitian pearls produces black pearls of natural color.

Read post #4 here by Jeremy Shepherd of Pearl Paradise:

Thanks for the link, Pearl Dreams. So my suspicions weren't unfounded. Still a newbie..
That being said, I derive a small comfort knowing that they are still in fact real pearls as opposed to imitation beads (unless this has changed in the last year as a means to cut costs?). Despite the false marketing, if they are at least trying to control for quality and making sure the pearls are a decent size and round as an informed consumer I would not be too bothered by the fact that they weren't actually formed by the oyster from which they were dug, but that's just me.

These business practices are certainly dubious but at the same time one could argue that they are selling an experience and this would be the most cost-effective way to guarantee that experience to the customer in a feasible way. In a way if I had to choose between having a 'knock-off version' of such a diversion rather than not having one at all because companies deem it a poor investment to be as genuine as possible and refuse to submit to such practices, I would opt for the former. That and it's just a nice thing for the kiddies to do and have their pearling fun too. I guess the happy medium would be for it to be marketed in a less serious, child-oriented way so the adults don't feel too ripped off...but then anyone who has done a bit of homework in pearls would have probably seen it coming.

The thing is, the experience they are selling isn't what customers are led to believe it is! So it's really fraud.

Very true, I guess I am just jaded and believe that everything we use nowadays be it provenance or the item/experience itself is marred by some degree of unethical behavior so I try to see the positive side.
Merry Christmas! May you receive many pearls! Someone should start a holiday pearl haul thread, photo heavy :)

This pick a pearl stuff is one of my pet dislikes, as forum regulars will know. There are a couple of outfits doing it over here too with all the speil about huge value etc etc. The pearls I see are invariably cheap low end potatos - I even saw a dyed bright green one once ('the oyster was sick') The pickled shells cost $1 or so when they come with a box individually packaged (search out wish pearls) so would be costing even less in bulk and wholesale.
It saddens me that some people are told all sorts of nonsense about massive value and quality and then when they ask me ti cinfirm I never know whether to be honest or not.

I even saw a dyed bright green one once ('the oyster was sick')

Ohoho what a riot!!!

It makes me laugh when in videos the sales associate pulls out a chart detailing what the pearl value is worth (size, color, and luster, how scientific!) or point blank states that it is a $200 pearl and the customer squeals with joy.

It's definitely a bit of a rip-off, but I tend to agree what they're selling is an experience so not totally terrible. Otoh, I was just yesterday visiting with relatives and one cousin was telling me all about the 'wish pearls' they found at Sea World in San Diego, and how the pearls were just soooo wonderful, and such a great deal! I didn't have the heart to burst her bubble, just nodded and let the conversation move on. Sigh.

When I was a little girl, I was fascinated by the pearl divers at Sea World. Of course, back in those days, they were all akoya pearls and I still have a few. :)

wowow... the husband just sent me this link from one of his friends asking for an explanation http://filmot.org/gallery/VP4kf take a gander at all the dyed blackies

I think my dream would be to travel to a pearl farm like Sea of Cortez and see all the operations for myself, gotta start saving up now!

Last edited:
Back