Vietnamese Akoya Pearls

suzannelowrie

I'm off to Hanoi, Haiphong and the bay of Han La to visit pearl production sites and pearl farms. Yes, I understand that the Vietnamese harvest in October through December. This is a "Just Looking" trip and not much of a buying trip.

I saw the Vietnamese yellow pearls at the June Hong Kong Gem and Jewelry show. They are daffodil yellow and, at first glance, very strange. But, I imagine that's the way black pearls and chocolate pearls looked to us not long ago. The Japanese manager of the booth was quick to point out that his silver Akoya pearls were dyed. That the white Akoyas and yellow Akoyas were Japanese natural pearls. "You mean, Vietnamese," I blurted out. He turned away. Ooops.

My website is still in the making. Look for it at the end of September. It is very tempting to buy some of those beautiful glowing yellow Vietnamese pearls for the website. But is there a demand for very very yellow pearls? There certainly is for golden pearls, but bright yellow? I have to think hard- who could wear them and look even better in yellow pearls than in white pearls? Well, I could (I thought to myself) but I have to stop collecting at some point.

I'll be back July 26 with photos and lots of news. I passed my pearl grading course at GIA Carlsbad. That's a step forward.
Best wishes, Suzanne

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations on finishing your pearl grading course!
Just my opinion, of course, but an unusual color like the yellow might be easier to introduce in earrings or pendants instead of as a whole strand. For me, an un-dyed color is far more interesting than a dyed one, so even the really unusual colors are ones I would purchase and wear. Depending on the intensity of the color, perhaps these could get paired with some other pearls?

Daffodil or canary yellow can be very tricky against western skins. It can just look sickly and washed out (those of you who have heard of the formerly very successful big chain store here Marks and Spencer will understand when I say that I realised they were on the slide when they introduced similar coloured underwear and it did not sell by the palletload. Clear that they had lost their way totally)

Not sure what demand might be like (even aside pearls, bright yellow precious stones are not exactly all the rage either), but your description definitely made me curious! Can't wait those pictures :cool:

Other then some tiny 'pipi' pearls, I don't think I've ever seen bright yellow pearls... and would love to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Suzanne - I agree with Wendy - yellow is a very hard colour to sell. I would be looking at drop earrings (so they don't sit directly on the skin) teamed with some coloured gemstones and gold fittings. Pendants may work. I wouldn't be making a huge investment.

Just a random thought: wouldn't these bright yellows fit in a multicolour rope of Vietnamese Akoya and gem freshwater (for deeper pinks, peach and purple)? Because of the strong color, they could be the strong point of the strand, even. It is the most fashionable deign I can think of for them. The presence of multicolour freshwater could allow a range of prices too ...

Color graduated strands seem interesting, but not too popular - there always are a few of them around, even in good places, but never allot: not the case that the fashion world has simply forgotten and needs to be reminded of a good design.

Certain pale people can wear yellow if their hair and eyes are dark-- it's the "black-eyed susan" effect. That's how it seems to work on me, though I don't wear yellow unless it is very cool because I dislike warm colors. Yellow seems to looks best on very dark skin.

You probably wouldn't have any problem selling a small stock of them. The target market would be those who know they wear yellow well and those who can't and love it anyway. Hey, I wish a moderately unflattering strand of pearls was the worst fashion faux pas I saw on a daily basis. :D

Back